[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Has a revolution to destroy the monarchy and form a republic,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: 8220---base_image_4.1424269686.jpg (124 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
8220---base_image_4.1424269686.jpg
124 KB, 800x600
>Has a revolution to destroy the monarchy and form a republic, killing untold numbers of French men/women
>Ends up installing an Emperor anyway

How does a nation fuck up this hard?
>>
File: edmund-burkes-quotes-1.jpg (77 KB, 564x304) Image search: [Google]
edmund-burkes-quotes-1.jpg
77 KB, 564x304
>>1220475
Burke warned them
>Trying to eliminate tradition.
Pleb tier cucks
>>
File: 1463493054284.jpg (639 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463493054284.jpg
639 KB, 1920x1080
>Has a revolution to destroy the monarchy and form a republic, killing untold numbers of Roman men/women
>Ends up installing an Emperor anyway
>>
File: 1463324614009.png (861 KB, 1059x962) Image search: [Google]
1463324614009.png
861 KB, 1059x962
>>1220487
>No matter how much we distance ourselves from the past, we are doomed to repeat it.

Oh god this feel.
>>
>>1220487
The republic lasted ~500 years though, and the principate still kept republican elements for almost ~300 years before the dominate.
>>
>>1220475
>Fuck up
The only thing Napoleon did wrong was lose.
>>
>>1220841
Everyone has an opinion but I can say for certain that this is objectively wrong.
>>
>>1220873
Everyone has an opinion but I can say for certain that this is objectively correct.
>>
>>1220475
By having and following meme intellectuals.
>>
Well we could have done worse. We could have started two European wars instead of one.
>>
>>1220475
>Has a revolution to destroy the monarchy and form a republic

Always thought it was about social change, liberalism and enlightenment thought
>>
File: EmperorTrump.jpg (90 KB, 399x482) Image search: [Google]
EmperorTrump.jpg
90 KB, 399x482
>>1220512
Oh god please yes, we need Emperor Trump.
>>
>>1220475
>The public is fed up with aristocratic bullshit compounded by famine
>A bunch of intellectuals manipulate the masses into overthrowing the monarchy
>Said intellectuals then convince everyone to execute dissenters and anyone they don't like
>Intellectuals start to turn on each other in a scramble for power.
>Rest of europe gets spooked/sees this as an oppertunity and invades.
>French armies btfo of invaders, Napoleon makes a name for himself as a general
>Napoleon covinces the government to send an expedition to Eygpt to fuck with the Brits
>Intellectual backstabbing intensifies back home.
>Brits skullfuck the french fleet at the nile, Napoleon hurries home to take advantage of the chaos
>Napoleon becomes co-consul with 2 puppets and later declares himselfs first consul for life.
>He figures this republicanism thing is retarded and drops the pretense and crowns himself emperor, since most people like him anyway and he can get shit done.
>>
File: 1416320304978.png (42 KB, 853x613) Image search: [Google]
1416320304978.png
42 KB, 853x613
>>1220475
>Has a revolution to destroy the Ancien Regime
>Enforce a constitutional monarchy
>The king fucks up
>Get rid of the king
>Literally EVERYONE declares war on France
>Brilliant general turned Consul saves the Republic and establishes a lasting peace
>LOL j/k Ancien Regime Europe is back to fighting France
>Install an emperor who follows Voltaire's Enlightened Despot ideal

Russia was the only part where they fucked up

>>1220487
Napoleon was probably the number 1 Romaboo in Europe and the last chance Europe had when it came to restoring the Roman Empire.
>>
The more I learn about the French Revolution, the more I am becoming to think that it was filled with a bunch of pretentious assholes who took advantage of legitimate problems to push their agenda. Is there any sources that contest this? I'd rather not have a one sided view on the whole event.
>>
Because "they were trying to get rid of the monarchy" is a massive over simplification to allow tiny babies to understand it.
>>
>>1224446
>filled with a bunch of pretentious assholes who took advantage of legitimate problems to push their agenda

That describes every revolution I know of.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.