[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some interesting indigenous peoples that are rarely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13
File: Guanches.jpg (238 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
Guanches.jpg
238 KB, 1200x1800
What are some interesting indigenous peoples that are rarely talked about, extinct or not. I only just found out about pic related about a week ago. I thought the idea of an island group of Berber Pagans left unmolested by the Catholic/Sunni giants for so long was quite fascinating.
>>
File: Patagon02a.jpg (369 KB, 1294x1886) Image search: [Google]
Patagon02a.jpg
369 KB, 1294x1886
The Selknam were pretty interesting.
>>
File: selknam.jpg (689 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
selknam.jpg
689 KB, 1200x675
>>1218602
Sucks they were genocided, so we know very little about them.
>>
File: selknam girls.jpg (124 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
selknam girls.jpg
124 KB, 1600x1200
>>1218608
>>
>>1218602
>>1218608
Doesn't surprise me they were, could imagine a Spanish Conquistador seeing that? They really do look like devil people
>>
>>1218558
They aren't that old. their dialect of Berber shows I think only 4k years of divergence.

Canarians still have guache ancestry.

Stop the myths of "the last ____" it's not based on reality.
>>1218602
>>1218608
People retain their genetics and folk traditions remain too.
>>
File: DSC_1113.jpg (55 KB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1113.jpg
55 KB, 400x308
>>1218617
It happened after they got Independence from Spain though.

" Cattle breeders, farmers and gold-prospectors from England, France, North America, Chile and Argentina had entered the region, and were joined by adventurers and other fortune seekers. The natives were plied with alcohol, deported and exterminated, with bounties paid to the most ruthless hunters.[3] The large ranchers tried to run off the Selk'nam, then began a campaign of extermination against them, with the compliance of the Argentine and Chilean governments. Large companies paid sheep farmers or militia a bounty for each Selk'nam dead, which was confirmed on presentation of a pair of hands or ears, or later a complete skull. They were given more for the death of a woman than a man. In addition, missionaries disrupted their livelihood through forcible relocation and introduced deadly epidemics."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selknam_genocide

>>1218620
The last one died in the 1970s. They only numbered about 4,000 in the 1800s and by the 1930s there were about 100 left.
>>
>>1218620
Genetics don't mean anything once your language and way of life go extinct.
>>
>>1218602
>>1218608
>>1218615
I don't like them.
>>
>>1218646
Is the thing about the bounties true? It seems...fishy
>>
>>1218620
Guache ancestry?
>>
>>1218654
the guys are a bit spooky bit the ladies look sort of qt
>>
File: feels.png (5 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
5 KB, 645x773
>>1218646
Damn shame

>tfw thinking about all the ethnicities genocided out of existence that could still be around today
>>
>sacrificed children by tying them up and throwing them into a volcano

truly noble savages
>>
>>1218648
Language doesn't make a people, people still call African Americans black and African yet they barely have obvious akan or mande cultural traits
>>1218646
Mixed race descendants are still around
>>1218670
Guanche
>>
File: 1453806662741.png (440 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1453806662741.png
440 KB, 645x1260
>>1218680
>tfw no Beothuk bro to hang out with
>tfw no minoan gf
>>
>>1218695
Sounds based
>>
>>1218702
>Language doesn't make a people
It generally does. Hell, in many languages the word for language also meant people for this exact reason (cf. Old Slavonic ѩзꙑкъ, Old Armenian լեզու). African Americans have developed a distinct dialect themselves, which is ubiquitous across the US without regard for the white dialects occurring in the same territory. They are not Akan or Mande anymore (as their language also is not), they have instead formed a new people.
>>
>>1218695
sounds like Carthage's traditions didn't totally die with them
>>
>>1218558
>that story about the Andalusian Muslim explorer who went to Tenerife to meet with the tribe of Guanche people
>is shocked to find one of the elders already knew arabic and gets him to leave the island peacefully and assured there would be no force sent over to forcefully convert them

I think they knew about the Muslim conquests and wanted nothing to do with them. Quite a smart people. Shame the Castillians were so ruthless with them.
>>
>>1218767
Things not true at all. language is not a major factor in a people. Canarians still retain the genetics and cultural traits of Guanche, silbo is still known.

I think you're interest in "extinct" people comes from the standpoint of the colonizer, it's not based on reality.

Also AAVE is not universally spoken and is not a prime indicator for black American identification.
>>
>>1218608
this is some silent hill level shit
>>
>>1218620
Berber? I thought the selkam were Patagonian?
>>
>>1219096
OP is about Guanche.
>>
File: Indo-Iranian-Evolution.png (3 KB, 237x187) Image search: [Google]
Indo-Iranian-Evolution.png
3 KB, 237x187
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafiristan

The people of this isolated province in the mountains of Afghanistan were pagans until 1890 and speak Nuristani, an ancient branch of Indo-Iranian languages.
>>
>>1219116
>infidelistan
>>
>>1219117
>land of the kafirs

makes sense really
>>
>>1218695
Probably not a bad thing though. They probably had God-tier genetics because of this. We're too easy on children these days. Vaccinations, saving weak babies, etc etc are making this species weaker and weaker.
>>
File: 3259602762.jpg (65 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
3259602762.jpg
65 KB, 720x720
>>1219157
>>
>>1218558
Tocharians are utterly fascinating. All of what we know about their language comes from hidden fragments in abandoned Buddhist monasteries. Their language is in a sub-group of Indo-European that is more closely related to Latin or German than any Iranian language, despite their location in the mountains of Central Asia.

We don't know how they got there, we don't know how they disappeared and we know only a little about what they were like.
>>
>>1219221
Tocharian is closest Anatolian.

It's generally accepted to be the second Indo-European language to split off, after Anatolian.
>>
>>1218602
>>1218608
They are very well-built for Amerindians
>>
>>1218680
If thier Ethnicities was so great that would still be around, don't far for every culture eaul ememe
>>
>>1219631
poo off pajeet
>>
>>1219574
>Tocharian
>Amerindians

Come on. Are you blind? Maybe they all look alike to you... maybe wikipedia is broken today.. let me check. Nope, you're a full-fledged moron.
>>
>>1219792
>Selknam
Aww fuck. >>1219792
I screwed up. nm lol I am the moron.
>>
File: rivera_jose_fructuoso.jpg (26 KB, 340x322) Image search: [Google]
rivera_jose_fructuoso.jpg
26 KB, 340x322
>>1218558
I'm from Uruguay and this guy killed all the abbos here (charrúas, guanaes, etc.) and we know very little of their culture. We're pretty much the only country in south america with cero indians, it's sad
>>
>>1218602
>>1218608

looks like something from the mighty boosh
>>
File: 1920px-Saami_Family_1900.jpg (528 KB, 1920x1411) Image search: [Google]
1920px-Saami_Family_1900.jpg
528 KB, 1920x1411
>>
File: kalash_girls_Pakistan.jpg (264 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
kalash_girls_Pakistan.jpg
264 KB, 640x480
>>1219771
pajeets are actually quiet sensible if you think about the fact that they still have a tribal belt in india were lots of ethnics are ethnicing around as they please and left to their own even though hindus had superiour weapons.

Except you speak about muzziepajeets.
They are devils, killed most of the Kalash because they were the last unmolested hindus of Pakistan not that long ago.
>>
>>1218850
>language is not a major factor in a people.
I hope this is bait.
Having different grammar and different ways to word things since birth creates different sublime thinking patterns as well.

Also, beside race, its the easiest and direct way to make a difference between you and them.

>cultural traits
Which?

They are neither god-tier stoneslingers anymore nor is anything of their religion intact, id argue there is even less left then in hispanisised mexicans.

they are island spaniards with a bit of berberblood.
>>
>>1218680
Sometimes I'm just filled with an uncontrollable rage when I think about how 50% of the world's population is Christian or Muslim, and how most atheists and neopagans are still culturally christian and perpetuate christian ideas.
>>
>>1221247
Early christians were expansive, but did so only on accords of mutual willingness in he first place.
Catholics started Deus Vulting hard around the time the muzzies started being a thing.

Also some heresies are genuine pacifists, such as the cathars were or the alevites are today.
>>
>>1221259
And in all those cases the pacifists are overtaken by the purer strains. Make no mistake, pacifist abrahamists are the most insidious, they give support to violent abrahamists while hiding the true nature. They show up and make friends, giving YHWH a kind face, and leaving them vulnerable for to the conquistadors and Jihadists.

The worst strain right now is probably Protestants though, because they control so much of the world's industry. That's the real master stroke. YHWH teaches his followers industry, and then everyone gets so excited about all their fancy new toys they don't realize they are destroying the environment.
>>
>>1221355
>pacifist abrahamists are the most insidious
Not out of malice.
They get usually rekt just like the infidels.

Also not all of the christian package is bad.
I value quiete a bit of it, even though I am not christian due to a lack of belief.

Also, some pagans arent necessarily better once they get on a powertrip, te japanese tried to convert the korean shamanists to shinto during ww2 as they deemed their spirituality to be inferiour.

id be happier if a milder strain of christianity hybrid like the dank shit tat was Manicheism would have survived.
They believed YAWEH was the original satan maquerading as god until the revelation of Jesus Christ.
>>
>>1221396
The problem with pacifist abrahamists is that they spread like regular abrahamism, and then just let the militant abrahamists roll right over them. People who might have fought to defend themselves get tricked and let their guard down.

As for Korean shamanism, christian missionaries and secular capitalism did a much better job at eliminating Korean folk religion. It's the peaceful missionary not the frothing crusader that makes abrahamism so dangerous.
>>
File: mandeans.jpg (114 KB, 640x445) Image search: [Google]
mandeans.jpg
114 KB, 640x445
>>1221413
Actually, alevites do not marry out of their religion like jews do. They dont convert because they fear reprisals by sunnis, so they put it into their religion.
The same goes for ibadites.
Cathars and bogomils fought like hell, but also lived in peace with the catholics that were not out to burn them.

"When Bishop Fulk, a key leader of the anti-Cathar persecutions, excoriated the Languedoc Knights for not pursuing the heretics more diligently, he received the reply:

We cannot. We have been reared in their midst. We have relatives among them and we see them living lives of perfection."

I think you are reffering to the "moderates" who still adhere to the religion of their puritane brethen but just stay still out of oppurtinism or because they simply prefer an easier life without conflict.

The abrahamic offshoots like mandeans, druze and others that have themselves perceived strong persecution included a reasonable amount of pacifism towards all that do not harm them but stay in insular communities, sometimes even kill their own if they mix with infidels.

Categorizing them after their history and the propets they put heightened emphasis on helps differianciating better then the liberal "hey they say they are of peace!" bullshit you marked as insidious.
>>
not really a 'people' but it's interest to see a very few people on the Isle of Man still speak Manx
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.