[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The story of Patrice Lumumba saddens me greatly. Here we have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Anefo_910-9740_De_Congolese2.jpg (57 KB, 304x440) Image search: [Google]
Anefo_910-9740_De_Congolese2.jpg
57 KB, 304x440
The story of Patrice Lumumba saddens me greatly. Here we have possibly the last chance of stability in the Congo before he was destroyed by a number of Congolese and foreign conspiracies.

Whilst I don't know what would have happened under Lumumba's rule, I have enough confidence to say it would have been better than Mobutu's and then Kabila's I & II.

Anyway, Congo thread if anyone's interested.
>>
>>1217399
Before anyone brings up the idea that he deserved it because he thought it was a good idea to request help from the Soviet Union, let it be known he asked for help from the US first, and they denied them. And then portrayed him as a communist when he, GASP, went to the other world power for support for his government that was having rebellion within the first year of existence.
>>
>>1217416

I agree, it seemed a move out of pure pragmatism rather than ideological alignment. It's almost as if the US was just waiting for him to do it.
>>
>>1217427
It is important to note that he was a living president for less than a year. Even though that short span of rule was caused by meddling foreign powers, it still really wasn't long enough to judge character. There is quite a larger amount of African leaders who said they would do good things, than the ones that actually did.
>>
>>1217441

Oh no, I fully understand that. As I said in my OP, I'm not sure how it would have gone but i have a feeling it still would have been preferable than Mobutu.
>>
The book I read on him made Lumumba appear an incredibly incompetent leader. Arbitrary and completely lacking consistency and foresight.
>>
>>1217448

Most of them were very brash and poorly trained for the jobs in the government.
>>
>>1217456
Yes, that's the point I'm taking from reading this.

The State of Africa by Martin Meredith, what do you think of it?
>>
>>1217461

Not too bad for a shallow overview of Africa. If you can get your hands on Dancing In The Glory of Monsters by Jason K. Stearns I think you'd really enjoy it.
>>
>>1217483
Will do. Know any other good works on post-colonial African history? Maybe on Ghana or Ethiopia?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.