[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the Socratic method is so good, why didn't it save him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 75569-004-3B260631[1].jpg (55 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
75569-004-3B260631[1].jpg
55 KB, 431x450
If the Socratic method is so good, why didn't it save him?
>>
>>1215552
what does the socratic method being "good" have to do with it saving him?

DEFINE "GOOD."
>>
Because dying over a hasty and miscalculated judgement was the ultimate validation of his method.
>>
>>1215558
Rhetorically effective.
>>
>>1215560
This.

"This is what happens when you havent fully researched the consequences of your actions."

"Socrates you can either leave or kill yourself"

"Fine, I'll kill myself."

"Oh shit, no you dont have to, you just have to leave then maybe come back in a few years."

"Nope, I choose death because you saw fit to offer it. Now feel guilty you shithead."

"Oh shit."
>>
>>1215552
>what does the socratic method being "good" have to do with it saving him?
>DEFINE "GOOD."

Fuck off Socrates. Quit corrupting the youth of /his/.
>>
>>1215552
Is it just me, or does his nose not resemble that of af a black man?
>>
>>1215659
It has come to my attention that my people used to be hereditary head of states amongst other governmental functions.
>>
>>1215659
There's not such a thing as "nose of a black man". Different kinds of blacks have different kinds of noses, like different kinds of caucasians and whites have different noses.
>>
>>1215677
Are you perhaps implying, that we of the communities of those of african descent, once were established monarchs and other such rubbish?
>>
>>1215552
If this bait is so bad, why do people fall for it?
>>
File: 1460997166045.jpg (899 KB, 1936x1288) Image search: [Google]
1460997166045.jpg
899 KB, 1936x1288
>>1215552
Socrates could easily get out of this mess but he choose the alternative for reasons you wouldn't need to ask, if you read platons book on his trail
>>
>>1215552
Because Socrates didn't exist
>>
>>1215552
Did you even read the dialogues? Both Plato and Xenophone say Socrates intentionally tried to get himself the death penalty, although the two authors gave completely different reasons.
>>
File: tumblr_static_psyduck__2_.png (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_static_psyduck__2_.png
17 KB, 250x250
The Socratic method is basically just asking people "why" or "define X" until they get pissed off at you.

Big Soc wasn't well liked at parties.
>>
>>1215565

>Now I want to prophesy to those who convicted me, for I am at the point when men prophesy most, when they are about to die. I say, gentlemen, to those who voted to kill me, that vengeance will come upon you immediately after my death, a vengeance much harder to bear than that which you took in killing me. You did this in the belief that you would avoid giving an account of your life, but I maintain that quite the opposite will happen to you. There will be more people to test you, whom I now held back, but you did not notice it. They will be more difficult to deal with as they will be younger and you will resent them more. You are wrong if you believe that by killing people you will prevent anyone from reproaching you for not living in the right way. To escape such tests is neither possible nor good, but it is best and easiest not to discredit others but to prepare oneself to be as good as possible. With this prophecy to you who convicted me, I part from you.

The Socratic method was good at making people question their own beliefs, to not be complacent. The whole reason he was convicted was thus essentially emotional: Socrates was a gadfly, and those who convicted him were annoyed by him. No matter how much reason Socrates could persuade them with, he couldn't possibly change how they felt about preferring to live an easy life without questions.
>>
>>1221301
>Big Soc wasn't well liked at parties.
In his time, just as Athens came to supremacy in Greece, the citizens' hedonism and recklessness were replacing the virtue that caused the city's flowering in the first place. This was the "party". I would be sour too.
>>
Should logical fallacies be taught in school for what they are and why they have no merit to exist?

Once I found them out I noticed how many of them are given for granted as a legit method of arguing, imagine how many words could be saved by cutting through all that..."red tape"
>>
>>1215552
It is what brought him at trial and death , you dumbass.

The purpose of socratic method is to expose the ignorance and reach the absolute truth
>>
>>1221726
Pffft that guys so old though, like at least a few thousand years old, get with the times. It's 2016 for goodness sake, modernize much?
>>
File: manifold complexity.jpg (59 KB, 511x507) Image search: [Google]
manifold complexity.jpg
59 KB, 511x507
>>1221301
people get mad when you make them look stupid. who knew?
>>
>>1215552
Are you supposing that it can only be good if it can save him? That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>1215677
>>1215725
haha
>niggers
>>
File: PC's are put on trial.png (603 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
PC's are put on trial.png
603 KB, 1000x1500
>>1215552
>>
>"Nothing, I know nothing."

You're a big philosopher.
>>
>>1215552
>If that screwdriver is so good, why can't it hammer this nail?
Because saving himself wasn't his goal, nor is it what he uses the Socratic method for.
>>
>>1215590
>I was merely pretending to be retarded
>Well I was pretending to be rational
>Oh my fuck
>>
>>1225796
This. Socrates was a bit of an asshole.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.