[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existentialism General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 500x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 500x515
Can we have an Existential Crisis/Existentialism General? It seems every time I look at the catalog there's some anon or two whining about how life has no meaning.
>>
File: 1411834350871.jpg (52 KB, 386x371) Image search: [Google]
1411834350871.jpg
52 KB, 386x371
We could but what's the point...
>>
File: e0117475_568dd83f19288-1-1-1.jpg (176 KB, 626x468) Image search: [Google]
e0117475_568dd83f19288-1-1-1.jpg
176 KB, 626x468
Existentialism is a philosophy not of nihilism, but a recognition that life is absurd.

It only has meaning that the individual decides on for themselves.

You are free to make error.

Life consists of choices that have consequences.

There is an essential emptiness at the center of being which means you are free to fill that emptiness.

But do not think that what YOU fill that emptiness with is applicable to all humans.

It is yours and yours alone.
>>
>>1212198
I would disagree that such a thing would make life 'absurd'. Why should morality and values be inherit when almost everything else [politics, language, etc] is constructed?
>>
>>1212224
Values are not inherent.
That is a personal perspective, which is valid for you alone.

Life being absurd is a description by Sartre, but it's meaning is that is that life has no meaning, except that which YOU give it.

Every culture has values, and different ones at that.
So, are inherent values conditioned by geographical locations?
Do those values change if you emigrate to a new land?
>>
>>1212453
There is no value in culture.
>>
>>1213733
In your culture, there is no value in culture.
>>
File: 1462882679293.jpg (81 KB, 595x960) Image search: [Google]
1462882679293.jpg
81 KB, 595x960
>>1213733
Oh, you.
>>
I never understood why people get stuck at the meaning of life question, it's really not difficult to answer.
>>
>>1213769
Go on..
>>
I believe you are partially referring to my thread regarding postmodern philosophy.
I am not having an existential crisis, for I am well aware of the absence of structure. I have meaning in my life; however, I am unable to fulfill this desire due to my inability to function and operate within the schematic of societal conduct. You are stupid, or otherwise lazy, to assume I am having an existential crisis.
>>
>>1214706
See >>1214851
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.