[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adultery in the ancient world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 382x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 382x385
I was watching the Vikings episode where the Christians cut the ear off of a woman adulteress. On the other hand, Viking society is portrayed as being much more "tolerant" of adultery and even cuckoldry. I can't help but be on he side of Christians on this one. Adultery and sexual degeneracy must be punished in order to create a stable society. Of all arguments for Christianity, this seems to be the strongest. Whereas when pagans speak of a "healthier" approach to sexuality, I can't help but remember those cuckold scenes from the Vikings series.

Now how accurate is this? Were adultery and promiscuity tolerated in pagan societies? We're women given more "freedom" (we all know what that means)?
>>
>>1211792
You are conflating open relationships and adultery. One can be in an open relationship and still cheat on a partner.

In North Africa and the Sahel open relationships outside of marriage were a non issue, husbands and wives were ambivalent about it but now of course things have changed.
>>
>nords were cucks

Nothing has changed.
>>
>>1211792

>History channel's Vikings
>Actual history

pick one.
>>
>>1211859
Ok so would you care to enlighten me on this issue? I wouldn't be asking if I knew.
>>
>>1211792
>dultery and sexual degeneracy must be punished in order to create a stable society.
No, not at all, no correlation whatsoever.
>>
>>1211967
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JpFyaY99B1M
https://secure.counter-currents.com/sexual-utopia-in-power/
>>
Edgar Cayce said man should be like the goose, which having found a mate never seeks another to procreate unless forced to by man.
>>
>>1211792
Less women's freedom, more men's freedom.

It's less of an issue when your property rights aren't tied to an heir. That's the real reason adultery is a sin - gotta know whose kid is whose.
>>
>>1212191
I won't be taking any serious advice from infamous new age bullshitter Edgar Cayce.
>>
>>1212029
Try an argument not shitty links that agree with you
>>
>>1212240
Suit yourself. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
>>
>>1211932
Vikings is less historically accurate than Game of Thrones
>>
>>1212235
This.

Monogamy served no important function until humans started practising agriculture and lineage became important.
>>
>>1211967
>>1212235
>>1212303

I agree friends we should go back to tribal societies where everyone is stuck fighting for mates
>>
>>1212268
Yeah well you led me to a creek where pigs shit and piss and I'm not happy about it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.