[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can the Milgram Experiment teach us about human nature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: obedienceauthoritymilgra251.gif (788 KB, 1000x874) Image search: [Google]
obedienceauthoritymilgra251.gif
788 KB, 1000x874
What can the Milgram Experiment teach us about human nature?
>>
people will gladly push a few buttons for cash.
>>
the authority of money eliminates the presence of physical authority to push others into doing something they may regret.

Gets real interesting when the only one the subject has to blame is himself.
>>
Like all but the most trivial of experiments in psychology, it tells us whatever the fuck we want it to. There's a thousand possible interpretations and no clear way of selecting one.
>>
College students are basically shit people
>>
How much do you think the experiment fucked the participants up? I would probably have nightmares and shit at the very least.
>>
>>1208680
How so? The results appear to be pretty clear
>>
The Milgram experiment has always seemed pretty stupid to me in light of the context that the participants were obviously aware of - what the fuck kind of institution would actually allow someone to be physically tortured for an experiment?
>>
>>1208726
That was le point.
>>
>>1208726
Authoritarian personality detected.
>>
>>1208733
Figuring out that it was a sham?

>>1208754
Getting shit done master race.
>>
>>1208671
There was no monetary motivation because they got the money as soon as they participated. They wouldn't lose money by refusing to shock the tester beyond a certain point.
>>
>>1208609
Americans are shit people
>>
>>1208831
The Stanford Prison Experiment was real. That doesn't seem cruel to you?
>>
>>1209786
>implying the test wasn't repeated in several cities and countries to ensure a minimization of cultural bias.
>>
>>1209786
>>1209794

Not just several countries and cities. It's been replicated vast number of times all over the world.
>>
>>1208609
That most people are retarded.
>If the teacher asks who is responsible for any negative effects, the experimenter replied, "I will take responsibility."
Are you telling me that more than 60% of partecipants believed this? I would never have taken the risk, especially after having been repeatedly told about the heart condition.
>>
File: 1463766419409.jpg (193 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
1463766419409.jpg
193 KB, 600x739
>>1209857
This and Stanford proved that the social construct around science, can make people harm other people based on scientific authority only (a white lab coat and some fancy words).

But it's nothing compared to the Trinity test.

I want to read Mengele's and Shirō Ishii's research.

Any leak from project paperclip that some nice anon would like to share?
>>
>>1210826
Admittedly I didn't read a lot on this, but from my limited research it appears like 731 was mainly concerned with combat medicine than psychology (how to allow frostbitten soldiers to survive, how to propley amputate, how to stop cholera from spreading, etc... - all of it on tested on filthy chinese dogs of course).
>>
>>1208609
that the human race is a race of slaves and only a few of us managed to grow out of this condition, most of us went even lower and turned into subhumans
>>
I DINDU NUFFIN

WE WUZ JUS FOLLOWIN ORDERS
>>
>>1208609
It has a lot to do with personal feelings of responsibility and duty.

>They already paid me to do this
>I better do it right, otherwise they might take the money back or not offer to pay me again
>Surely it can't be dangerous, I mean, we're in a lab setting, there's tight controls, and these guys are the ones getting in serious shit if anything goes wrong
>Yeah sure I'll crank up the voltage, I don't even know this guy, nothing seriously bad can happen to him, and he's consenting anyways, so if he's uncomfortable it's his own stupid decision, so what have I got to lose?

Logically, one wouldn't have any reason to assume that they're actually torturing someone if they really think about it. If anything, the way this experiment "outs the sheeple" lies more in the measure of regret or distress the subject feels, which shows how gullible they are.
>>
>>1209790
>the standford prison "experiment"
>researcher was coaching participants
>researcher was constantly interfering with the results

Philly Z is a fucking hack.
t. Shrink
>>
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
>>1208609
slave morality runs really, really, really deep
>>
>>1211142
That was the point of the experiment, in a real prision you have a warden that makes sure that you do your job.

It was an experiment to test authority, you have to use authority at some point.
>>
Proves that nature is still stronger. When coming to getting food (surviving) people couldn't give less of a fuck about others.
Or do you think something upright and moral would come out of the meat grinder that's nature?
>>
>>1211529
This.

People are animals, just ones that developed an advanced imagination and the skills that come with it.
Many animals eat the wounded and weak of their own species, even their own social groups. They think nothing of it. The weak would hold them back, and food will push them forward.
The only reason humans don't constantly throw each other under the proverbial bus is because we've constructed lives for ourselves that eliminate this kind of desperation for survival, so if we're put in that situation, we're usually safe, secure, and well-fed enough in our lives that we have the luxury to reason with ourselves and think "well that would be pretty shitty if it happened to me, so I won't do that thing to that guy."
>>
>>1208609
>human nature
Get out.
>>
>>1211529
What does the experiment have to do with survival? The subjects weren't threatened.
>>
>>1209790
> Stanford
> Prison
> Experiment
>>
>>1213411
It did happen in Stanford at least.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.