[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“... the old mechanisms had gone and the old habits of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: ija.jpg (12 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
ija.jpg
12 KB, 258x195
>“... the old mechanisms had gone and the old habits of obedience and respect (for the British) had also gone because people had seen them run away (from the Japanese) ... they packed up.

Was seeing the Japanese drive the White man out of Asia the thing that ended colonialism? I guess seeing the white man get BTFO by the Japanese must have hurt colonial prestige really bad.
>>
File: 1463929703717.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1463929703717.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
>>1205194
>it's a /pol/ with dates thread
you said this wouldn't happen, Hiro You've forsaken us!
>>
>>1205194
No. More like Euronigs infrastructure in keeping these colonies bottled held them in Check.

Only a few people liked the Japanese back then. Particularly in Southeast Asia where they are memed as pirates & soulless Human-God-worshipping cunts by Muslims. I think only Indonesia and Vietnam was ever happy because the Dutch and French were truly dicks but they didn't come to like the Japs later on.
>>
File: sneaky japs.gif (981 KB, 1064x589) Image search: [Google]
sneaky japs.gif
981 KB, 1064x589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPLNmuDW7lE
>>
>>1205194
No. World War II's aftermath made colonies a bitch to keep ahold of.

When the Japanese were defeated, France, Britain, and the Dutch all came back to assume control of their asian colonies, but with Nationalism on the rise and native populations now having access to rifles and weapons on par with Europe, resistance wars became costly and deadly.

Put it simply, it was easy for France to keep Vietnam pacified when all they had was black powder muskets and a few cannons. But when the Viet Minh had access to Soviet tanks and machine guns, suddenly the price of keeping the territory became terribly steep.

Also, WWII's aftermath absolutely ruined the economies of every power save the US and USSR, France, Britain, the Netherlands, they couldn't even hope to afford funding a military that could keep all their colonial possessions under control.

Britain realized this and worked towards granting independence to the colonies with the most nationalistic fervor to avoid fighting a war they knew they could not win with World War II bankrupting them.

France however tried to hold on to their colonies as tightly as possible, but after World War II, France was in no shape to fight Vietnam or Algeria, and payed the price for it in military defeats.
>>
I doubt they even knew it was happening in places like Africa. You're overthinking it. Though people in the British colonies left their places in the sun because they had to get back to fight in two world war realizing they liked the comfort of not being haunted by giant spiders or having to deal with poor shitskins begging. Then the colonists wanted to go to Britain or Australia or any of the more developed and safe places.
>>
>>1205261
Not to mention the US and USSR pressured the rest of Europe to decolonize.

The US threatened to drop nukes on London if they didn't hand over the Middle East to US interests, for an example.
>>
>>1205268
Source?

I highly doubt we threatened to nuke a long time ally when the USSR was a growing threat in the world.
>>
>>1205268
>The US threatened to drop nukes on London if they didn't hand over the Middle East to US interests, for an example
No, we fucking didn't, you lying Britbong faggot. We threatened to up the debt payments which Britain couldn't afford.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.