[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? >I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: rust cohle.png (786 KB, 1180x682) Image search: [Google]
rust cohle.png
786 KB, 1180x682
Is he right?

>I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody... I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.
>>
Only if you believe in evolution without a God.
>>
>Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction
Wouldn't that be pursuing self-awareness to its logical extremity ?
If self-awareness is an illusion that we should deny, shouldn't we go back to our animal programming, fighting and fucking and fleeing death ?
If we are nobody, and do not exist in the past and future, isn't suicide pointless ?
>>
>>1205106
Did you even watch the final scene of the show ?

>Once there was only dark. Now if you ask me... The light's winning.
>>
>>1205106
He is a fuckin cartoon character how is he supposed to say anything of logic you filthy meme
>>
>>1205106
>Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself
Natural laws create the supernatural, now?
>>
>>1205179

Humans consider themselves separate from nature
>>
I you hate thinking so much, why don't you just lobotomize yourself and rampage naked through the forest as an animal instead of being a whiny depressed little faggot.
>>
>>1205186
But I'm made of atoms and bound by the laws of nature.
>>
>>1205214

And?
>>
>>1205186
Western culture perhaps. The Aztecs at least say everything is teotl (energy) and are not into dualism.
>>
>>1205219
And I'm not separate from nature and do not consider me or any other human to be so.

Following >>1205223 , beginning with the Yijing all the Chinese ever saw was not matter and spirit being dualistically separate, there was only flowing qi.
>>
>>1205233
>And I'm not separate from nature and do not consider me or any other human to be so.

"Yes they do
>>
File: personal_05_metzinger_01.jpg (2 MB, 2000x2897) Image search: [Google]
personal_05_metzinger_01.jpg
2 MB, 2000x2897
>>1205106
Absofuckinglutely
>>
>>1205242

Apologies, i read that wrong. Almost everyone considers themselves separate from nature, that's his point
>>
>>1205106
i agree with the first two sentences
i think humans should take advantage of our evolutionary advantage and continue to progress beyond purely natural means
>>
> Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself
People are part of nature. They don't like to think like that but they are in the end.
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563 KB, 569x802
>appeal to nature
>>
>>1205431

He's not appealing to nature
>>
It isn't really true, because the only thing that is real is awareness, not self-awareness.

If you study meditation alot you will notice that there isn't really a "self" anywhere.
>>
File: p0003.jpg (55 KB, 578x387) Image search: [Google]
p0003.jpg
55 KB, 578x387
>>1205106
What if he's only partially right? What if the future of humans living on earth is that 90% of them don't need intelligence and only a tiny circle of hyper-intelligent beings manage the entire human economy?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.