[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would someone identify as a Nihilist? What would be 'desirable'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: friedrich-nietzsches-quotes-5.jpg (174 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
friedrich-nietzsches-quotes-5.jpg
174 KB, 800x508
Why would someone identify as a Nihilist? What would be 'desirable' about believing such (or not believing I guess in this case)? From what I gather Nietzsche proposed the Nihil as something that should be avoided, not sought after.
Sorry if I'm coming across as ignorant but I just want to know what the appeal of Nihilism is.
>>
>Why would someone identify as a Nihilist?

Who does this? Just because people think morality is subjective or whatever doesn't mean they wear black and tell everyone they meet "by the way i'm a nihilist, why haven't you stopped believing in morals yet?".

>What would be 'desirable' about believing such (or not believing I guess in this case)?
Philosophy isn't religion, what you think is desirable is irrelevant.

>From what I gather Nietzsche proposed the Nihil as something that should be avoided
Not avoided, rather 'overcome'. Nietzsche thought Nihilism was inevitable and there were two possible outcomes to it, the Ubermensch or The Last Man (basically millenials/modern society).
>>
>>1202684
I apologize for my poor language? Now what I mean by identify as a Nihilist is more in the sense of actually being a Nihilist, so I guess me specifying them identifying with it was pointless, but we all make mistakes.
As for the desirable thing, what I mean is why would people prefer that to say, existentialism or another ideology, and didn't know if the word rational could be applied in this scenario and as such was unable to think of another word to place there. I did not mean to allude to it as if it were a religion.
Also you're about me messing up my Nietzsche.
But this still does not answer my question.
>>
>>1202709
nihilism is usually used as a kind of bogeyman. you demonstrate that someone's philosophy when taken to the extreme results in nihilism, and you just sort of close the discussion on that point.

nobody's a nihilist and nobody would rationally defend it. i'm not sure what you're trying to ask about here.
>>
>>1202715
Now that I think about it, I was asking because those edgelords that identify as 'nihilists', you know the ones that shut down anything with "DUDE NOTHING MATTERS", and I just wanted to know if there was any sort of genuine 'nihilists' and why, thinking maybe they were trying to emulate that.

Also I apologize in advance for using buzzwords but I feel they fit in this case.
>>
>>1202632
There's nothing desirable about Nihilism, it's just the cold hard truth.
>>
>>1202632
>Why would someone identify as a Nihilist?
Kind of a weird question. No one really "identifies as a nihilist." There are cynical, pessimistic types like Schopenhauer though, who feel that the world is inherently meaningless, or not worth living, and that human existence itself does not deserve to persist, and should never have come about. Life experience will cause that, as it does for the development of ANY philosophy.

>>1202751
Guessing you either didn't read the OP pic or didn't understand it.
>>
There are people that identify as nihilists. Camus for one. So did a lot of stinky frenchmen.
>>
>>1202852
>frenchmen
>people
There's your problem.
>>
>>1202715
>nobody's a nihilist and nobody would rationally defend it.
wrong, plenty of people have defended it in contemporary philosophy.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.