[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me more about Manichaeism, /his/. Why is it now extinct?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Mani.jpg (70 KB, 501x653) Image search: [Google]
Mani.jpg
70 KB, 501x653
Tell me more about Manichaeism, /his/. Why is it now extinct?
>>
>>1202520
I think there might be a few left. Or is that Mandeanism or something?
>>
ISIStianity beheaded those infidels.
>>
>>1202520
A form of is still alive in China.

It denies that God is all powerful. The earth is a battle ground between the forces of light led by God and the forces of evil led by Satan (who is the second most powerful being in the universe). God never intended there to be suffering pain, or evil this is the result of the evil Satan (who they might even consider another God). The two of them are trying to defeat the other, no holds barred. It emphasizes defeating evil in this life to help the forces of good win. Less concerned with what you believe and more concerned with what you do.
>>
>>1202874
yeah it was actually heavily influential in the red turbans rebellion that overthrew the mongols and installed the Ming
>>
>>1202520
Is it actually a Zoroastrian offshoot/heresy or did CK2 lie to me?
>>
>>1202520
Because it is false.
>>
>>1202902
CK2 lied to you
>>
>>1202902
No but it has similar dualistic concepts and I think it comes from the same area of the world.
>>
>>1202902
It is heavily inspired by Zoroastrianism--it's basically just simplified, and I can't blame him for doing so because the Zend Avesta is an impossibly complex book
>>
Pretty syncretic, blends in Zoroastrianism and eastern wisdom with Gnostic Christianity.
Mani claimed to be the reincarnation of the Buddha and Krishna as well as Jesus and Zoroaster.
It seems cultic because of this, similar to the nature of Baha'ism, Druze, Ayyavazhism, Sikhism, Tantrism, Jainism, Sufism and other historical alternative faiths claiming to be the latest revelation (which Christianity, Islam, and even Buddhism probably also were at one point).
>>
File: China-1.jpg (2 MB, 1704x2272) Image search: [Google]
China-1.jpg
2 MB, 1704x2272
>>1202874
>A form of it is still alive in China

I know there's that one temple and that there are some Buddhists that are descended from the Manicheans, but I don't think there are any actually left.
>>
>>1202874
Kek. Sound like generic JRPG to me. Actually I like this depiction of God vs Demon better than Abrahamic version of 'God is omnipotent and omniscience and Lucifer thing is totally part of God's master keikaku'.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.