[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there supposed to be a code of conduct in modern christianity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1454998433822.jpg (112 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
1454998433822.jpg
112 KB, 572x303
is there supposed to be a code of conduct in modern christianity?

as I understand it the deal is jesus comes to earth says "y'all sinners but I'm gonna die for you just say my name and you're okay" so as far as actual theology is concerned your status can only be "fucked" or "with jesus", and that's only affected by one thing.

so aside from that a person's conduct, whatever it is, could only be a mere material thing. so all the christian aligned morality sellers don't actually have a basis, do they? if they were properly christian they'd have to make it clear they want someone to behave because of how they personally feel about it, and not because of some relation to metaphysics.

not trying to trigger anybody. legit curious.
>>
>>1202364
It's called the Catechism. Only the 2 Apostolic Churches, Orthodox and Catholic, have one and it's why both aren't retarded FEEEEELLLLLZZZ American-style Fundimentalist Evangelicals that insist Christianity begins and ends with reading Scripture.
>>
>>1202375
is it heresy? can I hear a justification for it?
>>
>>1202391
Is what heresy? A Catechism?

The Catechism is just a handbook summation of the orthodoxy and theology development of Christendom, what these summations mean and why we believe believe them to be true. It goes very in depth to try and be as clear as possible to why we believe X is X.

Most of the Christians who bring up your kind of theology are American evangelicals who lack history and often are just self-proclaimed scriptural experts with a cult of personality and tenuous attachment to a wider congregation. A Presbyterian Church in Milwaukee can be vastly different from one in El Paso but still claim to be the same Church. Compare a Prague Cathlodox church with one from anywhere else. Those Apostolic churches have order and orthodoxy that requires universal adherence in both word AND action.
>>
>>1202364
>is there supposed to be a code of conduct in modern christianity?
The Catechism of the Catholic Church is the basic guide of life, think of it like the rules and shit for the average layman.
>>
>>1202430
>>1202436
what part of them is supposed to compel a person to care? is there God's authority behind those commands and if so, what's in the balance?
>>
>>1202465
>what part of them is supposed to compel a person to care?
If they're good, honest Christian folk, then it would come natural (don't steal, don't be a douche) You know, all that shit.
>is there God's authority behind those commands and if so, what's in the balance?
Backed by Christ through Peter, what do you mean balance?
>>
>>1202479
>If they're good, honest Christian folk, then it would come natural (don't steal, don't be a douche) You know, all that shit.
so what's the purpose of having it written down?

>Backed by Christ through Peter, what do you mean balance?
say you decide you don't feel like it, what's gonna happen?
>>
File: image.png (38 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
38 KB, 1000x1000
>>1202465
Faith that the Holy Spirit is with us and with the Church Father, guiding and working through us to keep our Church alive because Christ ensured nothing would triumph against her. We believe that by the Spirit's guidance we came to know the truth and order the Church. That by the Spirit we came to understand the Divine Nature of Jesus and reject heresies. That we came to know a biblical canon. That we came to have a Creed.
>>
>>1202495
Church Fathers. The guys who helped lead the Church in its infancy and develop our theology. Like Athanasius, Origen and Aquinas.
>>
Someone explain the holy trinity without using mystical jargon.
>>
>>1202494
>so what's the purpose of having it written down?
So others can read it. It's a book on the faith and answers basic questions and can guide you through situations.
>say you decide you don't feel like it, what's gonna happen?
Well that's basically heresy, which gets you kicked out of the Church.
>>
>>1202514
>>1202493
>>
>>1202479
See the issue is we are rational beings and can justify sin. That's why Catchisms exist: there's what the Bible means, no you can't burn a cross on Jerome's lawn! I don't care what you believe that passage to mean, it's wrong.

And God's Authority comes through faith in His Spirit, the Paraclete, the Wind and Fire of Pentacost, guiding us and making sure we come to these conclusions and have order throughout every Age.
>>
>>1202514
>explain the mystical without mystical terms
What answer would suit you then?
>>
>>1202524
see OP, sin is not supposed to be meaningful in the sense I'm looking for. it'd be material and pretty much irrelevant.

>>1202521
>So others can read it.
others who? nonchristians? it doesn't even sound like commands at this point.
>Well that's basically heresy, which gets you kicked out of the Church.
do you mean also kicked off god's good graces? if not, is one supposed to care?

>>1202514
can you start your recycled shitstorm elsewhere
>>
>>1202552
I'm not OP, or did you mean "look at the original post?"
>>
>>1202559
I am OP. I meant "look at original post."

>as actual theology is concerned your status can only be "fucked" or "with jesus", and that's only affected by one thing.
>so aside from that a person's conduct, whatever it is, could only be a mere material thing.
>>
>>1202552
>others who? nonchristians? it doesn't even sound like commands at this point.
You know, Catholics. It's the guide of life, and it's suppose to help you go through life.
>do you mean also kicked off god's good graces? if not, is one supposed to care?
It means see you in hell, don't pass go, don't go to Heaven, why did you commit heresy anon?
>>
>>1202569
>It means see you in hell, don't pass go, don't go to Heaven, why did you commit heresy anon?
so what was the point of jesus
>>
>>1202582
>so what was the point of jesus
To clear the board and open the doors so you have the possibility to go to Heaven.
Wait, you think just because you're in the Church means your saved? Hell no, you gotta prove, you gotta do work to make yourself clean. All Jesus did was open the door, freed the people from hell, and open the door to Heaven.
>>
>>1202589
is a mortal chump supposed to need to be completely sinless then, or what
>>
>>1202597
>is a mortal chump supposed to need to be completely sinless then, or what
There are different types of sins. Mortal is the shit that's really bad, so bad if you don't get forgiven from it when you die, your ass is in hell. Venereal sins are fuck ups, and what happens is you go to Purgatory, which purges the sin away, holy fire and you get plucked out of it to Heaven, sinless and clean.
>>
>>1202600
>if you don't get forgiven from it when you die
pls explain this process
>>
>>1202606
It's the Last Rites IIRC that basically through three steps of the anointing of the sick absolves you of the sin.
>>
>>1202615
so what's the difference of avoiding the sins in the first place
>>
>>1202628
>so what's the difference of avoiding the sins in the first place
The difference is that you should avoid sin, but it happens, no man is perfect. If you sin, you see the priest, you confess your sins, and your told what to do and then you are forgiven of said sin.
>>
>>1202364
How appropriate. Just like the Catholic church called dibsies on that whole "Church of Peter" deal and tried to establish a worldwide control over the interpretation of scripture, here's a thread about the Christian code of conduct, and it's all about the catechism.

I really can't quite fathom why there hasn't been a response citing the 10 commandments. I know OP specifically mentioned NT beliefs, but does anyone think that Mosaic law was abolished by NT scripture to the point where you wouldn't still follow the 10 commandments? Obviously, Matthew 5:17 would be a starting point for this debate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_5:17). Essentially, it seems that OPs question is symptomatic of a religion that has become so utterly fractured that it has reached the point of absurdity.
>>
>>1202630
it seems to me this is not so much a command to behave but a command to recognize ones failings and repent eventually

does the church imagine it to be compelling? also if you do something dumb then die without confessing, you're just damned? how arbitrary.
>>
>>1202651
>it seems to me this is not so much a command to behave but a command to recognize ones failings and repent eventually
Bingo.
>does the church imagine it to be compelling?
1.26 Billion people find it compelling enough to follow it, so I don't know.
>also if you do something dumb then die without confessing, you're just damned?
I'm not sure.
>>
>>1202651
That's not arbitrary
>>
>>1202661
if the idea is that you have an eternal soul that continues to experience things after you die and an unfortunate placement of the event of your death can send it to eternal damnation then that is pretty arbitrary

>>1202660
I mean the part about following the rules. that was the point of this thread.
>>
>>1202691
>I mean the part about following the rules
Yes, it commands you to follow the rules, and one of the rules is to recognized one's fault and repent for the fuck up.
>>
>>1202698
it feels more like that is the entirety of the rules
>>
>>1202716
>it feels more like that is the entirety of the rules
Nah, you gotta do the sacraments, give shit up for lent, lots of other shit.
>>
>>1202718
or you gotta repent not doing those
>>
>>1202723
No. You gotta do the sacraments or you're not considered a Catholic. You also gotta do something for Lent. And you gotta follow the guideline and rules, like not getting an abortion.
>>
>>1202730
and if you do then it's impossible to repent?
>>
>>1202752
>and if you do then it's impossible to repent?
It means you're kicked out of the Church. Unless you get forgiven by the Pope, which is what 2016 is, which is the year of forgiveness, which means a lowly priest can let the woman who commit a great sin to enter back into the Church.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.