[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Indo-European Languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Language Tree.gif (84 KB, 1000x808) Image search: [Google]
Language Tree.gif
84 KB, 1000x808
What are some non-indo-european influences on indo-european languages, and to what extent? Some languages seem like they've been rather true to their ancestor language, such as Russian and Hindu, whereas languages such as Norwegian and Gaelic seem further removed. What's a good place to start reading on this?
>>
Spanish has a large influence from Arabic because of the Muslims who lived in the Iberian peninsula. The only example I have of its influence is with the word "Alcohol". Coming from the Arabic "al-cool". A decent portion of Spanish and Portuguese vocabulary comes from Arabic because of the presence of Arabs there. I'm sure there's other examples of these influences but I don't know of any other
>>
>>1202169
Desu comes from Chinese
>>
Kayak, hammock, coconut, curry, fork, zombie and bamboo. Of the top of my head
>>
>>1202169
Phoenician gave the Greeks and Romans their alphabet.
>>
>>1202169
balkaniggers may share some features from non-IE languages, though that's speculative
>>
>>1202271
>look mom, I posted it again!
Except youre wrong lol
>>
>>1202265
Fork is from latin
>>
>>1202302
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet
>It was derived from the earlier Phoenician alphabet,[3] and was the first alphabetic script to have distinct letters for vowels as well as consonants. It is the ancestor of the Latin and Cyrillic scripts.

Latin by extension is also derived from Phoenician.
>>
>>1202302
Not him but what are you talking about? There is no question that latin and greek alphabets are derived from phoenician
>>
>>1202316
>>1202313
Except every major expert on the subject of languages agrees that Latin and Greek are derived from far east origins, not fucking phoenicia, you retard. Please provide a source next time you try and post something against a commonly known thing among linguists.
>>
>>1202335
Can you provide a source for this amusing claim that latin and greek come from the far east? Seeing as literally everyone other than you thinks it comes from pheonecian
>>
>>1202335
Latin and Greek descend from PIE, that doesn't mean that they have to get their alphabet from Pakistan. Russia uses an alphabet invented by a greek, that doesn't mean old church slavonic has greco-roman origins.
>>
>>1202352
>>1202369
/his/ is too easy to troll.
>>
>>1202169
what do you mean they've remained true to their ancestor language? do you mean proto-indo-european?
baltic languages have only 1 grammatical case less than PIE, so a lot of people will say "oh that means baltic languages are the most conservative indo-european languages," but really that's an illusion because baltic languages actually have regained like 3 cases or so in the past couple centuries.
>>
>>1203244
Yeah, I mean PIE. Some languages have taken in a lot of non indo-European vocab, some have changed the grammar quite a bit, etc. Some, however, seem to be more of a conservative descendant.
>>
File: romantic Arabic.png (128 KB, 1690x832) Image search: [Google]
romantic Arabic.png
128 KB, 1690x832
>>1202209
To go off of this, IE languages influenced non-IE ones quite a bit. The Iberian peninsula is a beautiful example of this
>>
>>1202169
Isn't venetic usually considered an italic language?
Why is it on its own?
>>
>>1202271
Yes and the Phoenicians got their alphabet from cursive heiroglyphs.
>>
>>1203672
if you're interested in historical linguistics look into sound change. regular sound change is the main driving force behind language change. morphological levelling via analogy is less significant, and things like semantic shift and borrowing lexical items play a peripheral role. the writing system employed by speakers of the language is totally irrelevant.
>>
>>1207562
Thanks, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>1206488
Medieval Venetian is a Romance language.

Bronze/Iron Age Venetic is not well attested, so is unclassified.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.