[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Santos Dumont the real father of flight?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: Santos Dumont.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Santos Dumont.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
Discuss.
I'm brazilian so i'm biased, but yes, i do believe that he's the father of flight.
>>
File: leonardo-da-vinci.jpg (45 KB, 350x392) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-da-vinci.jpg
45 KB, 350x392
No.
>>
No. You'd have to be an idiot to think he was. His first powered heavier than air flight took place several years after the Wright brothers did it at Kittyhawk.
>>
>>1201249
The argument is that while Dumont did it on his own the brothers used ways to give the plane enough speed to fly.
Here on Brazil we are teached that he was the father of flight exactly because of that, might be nationalism but eh...
>>1201242
Yeah, people always forget based Leo.
>>
File: SD_14bis.jpg (20 KB, 630x317) Image search: [Google]
SD_14bis.jpg
20 KB, 630x317
how did this eyesore could fly?
posting just for meme potential
>>
>>1201261
It's nationalism propaganda as is acustomed to Brazilian education
>>
>>1201211
No. The person who came closest to beating the Wright brothers was a Frenchman.
>>
the real father of flight was an AUSTRALIAN
>>
WE WUZ AIRPLANE INVENTORS AN SHIEEEET
>>
The fathers of flight were the Montgolfier brothers. If we're talking about heavier-than-air flight, it was an incremental invention, with several inventors each make breakthroughs. I'd say the most important ones were:

- Félix du Temple
- Jean-Marie Le Bris
- Alphonse Pénaud
- Clément Ader
- Alberto Santos-Dumont
- Gabriel Voisin

Alberto Santo-Dumont is the first to have publicly demonstrated a controlled and sustained self-powered airplane flight with autonomous takeoff. That's also what the Wright brothers claim to have done before him, though that claim is undocumented.
>>
>>1201755
Alberto Santos-Dumont was franco-brazilian.
>>
>>1201948
Basically this.
Also, you have to understand american education is biased. Most people who visit this site are american.
>>
>>1201958
That's about as French as a Howler monkey born in a Paris zoo.
>>
>>1202328
lmao racism
literally no one gives a fuck about fucking france, maybe terrorists
>>
File: 1463792977728.png (19 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1463792977728.png
19 KB, 390x470
>>1201211
>I'm brazilian so i'm biased, but yes, i do believe that he's the father of flight.
The wright brothers undertook a 40 minute powered flight that went like 24 miles before he ever took to the air. So he can be your father of flight all you want but you're wrong.
>>
>>1201948
>That's also what the Wright brothers claim to have done before him, though that claim is undocumented.
>undocumented
k
>>
>>1201969
As opposed to BR education?
>>
>Richard William Pearse (3 December 1877 – 29 July 1953) was a New Zealand farmer and inventor who performed pioneering experiments in aviation.

>It is claimed Pearse flew and landed a powered heavier-than-air machine on 31 March 1903, some nine months before the Wright brothers flew their aircraft.
>>
>>1202337
I don't think it's racism, he was born in Brazil and didn't move to France until he was an adult. Although his family WAS ethnically French on his father's side.
>>
File: kiwi.jpg (73 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
kiwi.jpg
73 KB, 800x600
>>1202485
>a kiwi was the first to fly
>>
>>1201211
>>1201948
>>1202485

The Wright flyer first flew in 1903. Santos-Dumont didn't even start working on airplanes until 1905.

The only reason that there is any confusion on this is because of the rules set out by Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, which was started in Paris in 1905, two years after the Wright brothers' flight. They decided to include in their rules that the plane had to take off without assistance. The Wrights designed their plane to land on skids instead of wheels. Since it didn't have wheels, they would set their plane on a dolly on a track. FAI decided this didn't count, and said that Santos-Dumont's flight of the 14-bis in 1906 was the first, since it had wheels and didn't use a track to take off. This is one of a few cases where the generally accepted record holder is not the same as the name the FAI claimed. Another example of this is that the FAI didn't initially accept Yuri Gagarin as the first man in space because he ejected before his spacecraft landed. In both of these cases, the FAI did eventually come around and acknowledge the Wright brothers and Gagarin for their accomplishments.

And as for Richard Pearse, the problem with the claims about him are lack of evidence and conflicting reports. Namely, Pearse himself said he didn't attempt anything practical until 1904, and didn't have a successful flight until 1909
>>
>>1201211

Yes he was.

What the Wright brothers did was pretty much a glider.
>>
>>1201969
Literally only BR's believe Dumont was the first to fly though.
>>
>>1202602
>Flew for 1 hour after taking off.
>Glider
Want to know how I how I know you don't know anything about Aeronautics?
>>
>>1202587
See "Forgotten Silver".
>>
File: N-3.jpg (552 KB, 1333x1800) Image search: [Google]
N-3.jpg
552 KB, 1333x1800
>>1201211
He was a pioneer of Aeronautics, but was more interested in dirigibles than planes.
>>
File: Sem título.jpg (16 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
Sem título.jpg
16 KB, 225x300
The father of flight was a turk, he made the first rocket and the first parachute
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.