[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When you read about the Roman conquests, do you tend to sympathize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 640x420
When you read about the Roman conquests, do you tend to sympathize with the Romans themselves or the peoples who they conquered?

I always feel bad for the Gauls and Carthaginians, but I always find myself rooting for the Romans against the Germans
>>
>>1200485
Neither. X conquered Y. Period.
>>
They did a fuckton of damage to people they conquered. But in a longtime view they pretty much fixed and build things up.
>>
Always the Romans. Pre-Constantine, I mean. After that they can get fucked.
>>
>>1200485
I tend to sympathize more with characters than with peoples, so if I "take sides" it's based on that.
>>
>>1200485
Rome, I like to root for the absolute madmen, and Romans were downright insane.
>>
>>1200538
This.

>Caesar conquering the Gauls
Oh those poor people

>Claudius conquering the British
Fuck yeah, go get them Claudius, and show Rome what you're made of!
>>
>>1200577
Claudius is one of my favorite historical figures ever
>>
File: Furor Teutonicus.jpg (726 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
Furor Teutonicus.jpg
726 KB, 1600x1065
>>1200485
Always liked that picture. Here's a better resolution.

>>1200577
I felt sorry for the Gauls being used by Caesar as lootbags and easy land, but after his conquests Gaul was one of the most loyal provinces outside of the peninsula.
I think they were living pretty well for that to be the case.
The Britons are just a bunch of shits though.
>>
>>1200656
It's ironic because the iberian peninsula was one of the parts of Europe the romans needed more time to conquer completely.
>>
File: Social_Animal.png (83 KB, 806x824) Image search: [Google]
Social_Animal.png
83 KB, 806x824
>>1200495
This. The objectively right way to read or write anything historical.
>>
Roma Victoria! Fucking barbarians cucks, fuck them.
>>
>>1200495
/thread
>>
Wehraboos shitposting about >muh Arminius are fucking annoying. Teutoberg forest is to blame for germqnics having such a stupidly inflated opinion of themselves
>>
File: 1461286162859.jpg (69 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1461286162859.jpg
69 KB, 500x370
>>1200485
The Romans were the progressive force for civilization at that time.

Totally Pro-Roman.
>>
The Eternal Latin killed the shit out of a huge number of ancient cultures. Because of them, we may very well see Celtic culture go extinct. I dislike cultural eradication, so Roman boots make me rather buttflustered depending on the event.
>>
>>1200949
the right way to write, yes.
Reading it is totally up to what you want out of reading it. If you wanna have fun, sympathizing is a pretty great way.
>>1200485
republic? rome every time.
empire? idgaf.
>>
>>1200485
I'm a fan of the Celts, and I don't really like the modern misconception that they were primitive savages. But I think becoming part of the Roman Empire was good for both them and Rome.
>>
File: 1455650106453.jpg (567 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
1455650106453.jpg
567 KB, 708x826
>>1201525

This. Muh Hellenism, muh goddammit Antiochos you fucking did the exact same thing at Raphia wtf are you doing at Magnesia going for the goddamn baggage train instead of rolling up the flank reeeeeee
>>
>>1200485
Rome all the way. Ecspecially when it's against Caledonians and Parthians.
>>
>>1200485
>feel bad for the Gauls
They sacked Rome first.
>Carthaginians
Merchant lords who practiced barbaric human sacrifices and would ultimately have caused western civilization to stagnate due to their lack of any sort of wander lust and obsession with maritime economy.
>>
Romans, mostly because they had a bunch of likable everyday guys who's stories survived the centuries and it make them look more sympathetic then their enemies whose common soldiers are essentially faceless mooks and only the generals are remembered
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Crastinus
>rastinus, whom Caesar considered to be amongst his best soldiers, was promoted by Caesar to the rank of Primus Pilus, or "First File" Centurion
>He turned to Caesar and said "Today, general, I shall earn your gratitude whether I live or die". He almost broke through the enemy line before being killed by an enemy legionary thrusting a gladius in his mouth. Appianus reports that after the battle Caesar himself said to be in Crastinus' debt, tributed him heroic rites and erecting an altar.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.