[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes that need to die
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1463515070241.gif (848 KB, 665x662) Image search: [Google]
1463515070241.gif
848 KB, 665x662
>anything outside of the Hellenic or Latin classical period Europe was stone age apes
>2cool4school pseudo-linguists saying things like Proto Indo-European not existing, or English not being a Germanic language
>people taking cultural terms like Celtic/Germanic/Slavic/Latin to be genetic rather than ethno-linguistic

What grinds your gears, /his/?
>>
>1050 Europe was as culturally diverse as 2016 America
>>
>Napoleon and Hitler were manlets
>All Germanics are blonde
>All mediterraneans are dark haired shitskins
>>
>>1200438
>most people on this board actually believe they evolved from rocks
>>
>italians got pasta from the mongols
It's mortifying coming across this
>>
>>1200459
They got it from the Chinese.
>>
>>1200450
>All mediterraneans are dark haired shitskins
but they are
>>
>25 % of Europeans are Genghis Khan's rape babbys
>>
>anything outside of the Hellenic or Latin classical period Europe was stone age apes
Who says this? Most wouldn't consider the French Empire or contemporary America "stone age apes". Or maybe you have shitty expression, and meant contemporaneous societies. Even in that case I doubt it. Herodotus (pictured in the catalog) if anything shows the Greeks to be less materialistic and luxurious than the Persians.
>>
>>1200476
You'd be amazed the uneducated consensus on what Celtic and Germanic societies were like.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 461x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 461x319
>We're all mixed

This meme is shit
If this was true we all would look like mudbloods
>>
>>1200502
Cry more
>>
>>1200438
>the gene pool of ancient civilizations were the same as their modern day geographic counterparts
>>
If they dont have writing they are basically Neanderthals.
>>
>>1200529
This is true, with exceptions

Areas that did not have mass migrations to and from areas are going to be more or less the same. If I recall, Egypt for example will be roughly the same, France however has changed.
>>
File: 1458357972963-his.jpg (310 KB, 1400x892) Image search: [Google]
1458357972963-his.jpg
310 KB, 1400x892
>Byzantium wasn't the Roman Empire
>>
>>1200555
I'm torn on this. Byzantium was a rump state, a very powerful political entity that was directly the government of the Roman empire.

Culturally, they were Greek-speaking, orthodox (not Catholic), and didn't even control Rome itself.

Politically, they were that same Roman government. They themselves were not Roman
>>
>>1200567
>They themselves were not Roman
What constitutes a Roman?
>>
>>1200438
>>1200529

>modern day populations have no connection to the pool of ancient civilizations
>migration basically destroyed any trace of the former populations and the current ones are rape-babies

Mention anything about ancestry, lineage, anything older than 1500 and you get something like:

>Hurr WE WUZ, nationalism
>migrating conquerors FTW
>Italian/Spanish etc are Arabs
>>
>>1200567
The Roman Empire is the polity, not the nation or the people. So they were literally the roman empire.

Also most people makes Byzantium start in 476 or even 395. The last roman emperor that had latin as his mother tongue was probably Justinian (527-565) and latin was the language of the state up until Heraclius (610-641). The "they were greeks" meme doesn't work unless you specifically decide Byzantium starts a shitload of years after the supposed fall of Rome.
>>
>>1200567
Think of it this way, the people in Constantinople may not have been ethnic Latins from the city of Rome, but their state was the Roman Empire, and therefore their nationality was Roman.

>but muh culture
Changed a lot over 1000 years, it's amazing that it didn't change even more in all that time. That complaint is like someone saying that the America of today is nothing like that of 1776, the country has changed way too much in territorial composition, culture, fashion and ethnic makeup to still be called the United States of America.
>>
>ancient Greeks were blonde and pale
>modern Greeks are Turk rape babies

This should stay on /int/ and travel no further.
>>
>>1200684
Ancient Greeks were curly-haired mudbabies just like Australasian aboriginals.
>>
>>1200570
A Latin, Catholic, citizen of Rome.
>>
>colonization destroyed africa
>protestantism destroyed christianity and catholiscism wasn't a corrupt religion at it's inception
>the only reason ww1 occured was because of a political accident
>>
>>1200604
Is argue that the WASP culture has remained rather consistent in the US' case, in that we're still a largely protestant, English-speaking people.

Byzantium was the continuation of the Roman political identity, but they fundamentally changed what made them a people. They were what Roman-controlled Greece turned into, not Rome itself.
>>
>>1200587
See
>>1201080
>>
>>1200866
>>protestantism destroyed christianity and catholiscism wasn't a corrupt religion at it's inception
>said the prot trying to defend his heresy
>>
>>1201080
What "they were" is not important since the Roman empire was an entity, not a person or group of people. Maybe byzantine greece was "what Roman-controlled Greece turned into, not Rome itself", I will not enter this debate, but that's irrelevant since you cannot have a roman-controlled Greece without a Rome. They were still under a state, a government, that was Rome.
>>
>>1200866
>>protestantism destroyed christianity and catholiscism wasn't a corrupt religion at it's inception
>>the only reason ww1 occured was because of a political accident
gonna need an explanation on this one bud
>>
>>1200529
>>1200573
These are not mutually exclusive, you moron. Having a different genotype =/= being unrelated.
>>
>>1200438

When people think that "conquering" means exterminatus, or that every single child born in a conquered country immediatly after a conquest is already halfbreed and a product of rape.

Kings wanted more people to tax, not just piles of bones (except mongols, fuck mongols)
>>
>IQ is environmental
>>
>>1201160
But the expression of just about all genes is environmentally influenced. Height is clearly heritable and also clearly massively influenced by eg nutrition.
>>
>>1200684
This, only on Balkan level.
In reality Greeks got "whiter" due to Slavic invasions and mixing with Slavs.
Brown people in Balkans have nothing to do with Turks (who were Central Asian people), but with the fact original inhabitants were swarthy people.
>>
>>1201109
WW1 would have occurred assassinated Archduke or not; the French, the Germans and the Russians had already laid down their plans and were ready to go at each other, that's why they mobilized so fast
>>
>Slavic people are Mongolian
>Finnish people are Mongolian
>Hungarians are Mongolian
>Romanians are gypsies
>Greeks are Turks
>Italians are Arabs
>Turks are Mongolian
>Iberians are Arabs
>Germans are Huns
>English people are German/Danish
>Egyptians are Arabs
>North Africans in general are Arabs

/int/ posters need to be banned
>>
>>1201193
Yup. I hate the "one guy started ww1" meme.
>>
>>1201193
my bad I didn't mean to highlight that part. I want to know about why you think catholicism was corrupt at its inception
>>
>>1201193
Now explain why protestantism isn't the reason that Christianity isn't fucked.
>>
>>1201206
Oh I don't know I'm not him
>>
>>1200800
So Augustus wasn't Roman?
>>
>>1201180
>But the expression of just about all genes is environmentally influenced. Height is clearly heritable and also clearly massively influenced by eg nutrition.
Nobody in the determinist camp denies that the environment plays a significant role. But people in the environmental camp completely deny a significant genetic role, despite twin studies proving them wrong.
>>
File: 1464123014409.jpg (48 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1464123014409.jpg
48 KB, 750x600
>>1200438
>2cool4school pseudo-linguists saying things like Proto Indo-European not existing, or English not being a Germanic language
>>people taking cultural terms like Celtic/Germanic/Slavic/Latin to be genetic rather than ethno-linguistic
This but to add to the latter

>muh haplotype groups means region X is culturally Y
so many things wrong with this it makes my head spin
>>
>>1201226
He was, Catholic means universal.
>>
>>1201237
>But people in the environmental camp completely deny a significant genetic role

Some people do, others not so much. Maybe the problem is that you have this notion of rigidly-divided and exhaustively inclusive 'camps' in your mind. Tabula rasa won't last too long.
>>
File: Mepe.png (12 KB, 200x204) Image search: [Google]
Mepe.png
12 KB, 200x204
>Nobody in the determinist camp denies that the environment plays a significant role.
>Implying nobody
>But people in the environmental camp completely deny a significant genetic role
>Implying completely
>>
File: 1463958935619.gif (883 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1463958935619.gif
883 KB, 250x250
>Protestants don't believe in the Trinity
Do Catholics only encounter Jehovah's Witnesses on a daily basis or something?
>>
>>1201276
I've seen people on /his/ telling me that the Trinity is Polytheist bullshit.
>>
>>1201202
>Egyptians are Arabs
These are true.
>>
>>1201313
Culturally
>>
>>1201331
Culture and language are more important than ethnicity.
>>
>>1201106
I see. I think we agree more than we know. The Latins were the tribe that made Rome, and subsequently Roman culture. For the longest time, only Latins were true Romans, and for the longest time true Romans were seen as being Latins. If you were a Gaul in the Roman Empire, you weren't a Roman, you were just a Gaul under Rome's control. That's why many areas under extreme Roman influence like Gaul and Iberia, took on Latin-derived languages. Greece was taken into the Roman Empire, but retained their culture. They were only Roman in the political sense, not actual Latin people. They were Greeks in the Roman Empire, not Romans.
>>
>>1201339
Ethnicity IS culture and language. I'm amazed how many people don't know this.
>>
>>1201349
Most people use ethnicity as shorthand for racial haplotype shit because they're retarded and think it's important in any conversation that isn't purely scientific.
>>
>>1201349
So he's right?
What are we even discussing? Mahgrebians clear look arabian/mediterran
>>
>>1201339
THATS WHAT ETHNICITY IS
>>
>>1201358
They all look the same because they're all caucasians adapted to the desert
>>
>>1201096
i'm atheist actually
>>
>>1200438

PIE is an imaginary "reconstructed" language, its unlikely that there was any one proto indo european language, and european languages other then greek and latin don't descend from it through any other lineage except greek and latin

>>1200438
>>2cool4school pseudo-linguists saying things like Proto Indo-European not existing, or English not being a Germanic language

its half romance and half indo-european, but germanic languages all descend largely from romance languages and proto-illyria anyway, and finnic and other pre-indo-european languages to a lesser extent

>>1200684

show us any depiction of ancient greeks that look as middle eastern as modern greeks
>>
>>1201372
Where do we find you retards?
>>
>>1201371
Then Protestantism did destroy Christianity, because shit like that wouldn't fly back then. Hell I know some parts of the Church is corrupt but it's better than having people who aren't trained in the word of God and trying to interpret something that in all honesty shouldn't be interpreted by the lower class
>>
>>1201372
>PIE is an imaginary "reconstructed" language, its unlikely that there was any one proto indo european language, and european languages other then greek and latin don't descend from it through any other lineage except greek and latin
Completely wrong, are you unaware of Proto-Germanic? Proto-Celtic? What about the Indo Aryan languages? Do you actually believe that Germanic languages come from Latin? It's also not imaginary, it'd very clear that they have a language of common descent, what, do you believe do languages totally identical rose up out of nothing at the same time?
>its half romance and half indo-european, but germanic languages all descend largely from romance languages and proto-illyria anyway, and finnic and other pre-indo-european languages to a lesser extent
Totally wrong, where did you learn this from? There weren't "pre-PIE" languages, just different ones. Basque wasn't before PIE it was just other. And how would you explain Norse coming from Latin? You're pulling things out of your ass.

YOU ARE EXACTLY WHO THIS THREAD WAS MADE FOR
>>
>>1201404
Anon

You're implying that it's possible to fix trolling or stupidity
>>
>>1201412
I get being unknowledgeable, we all were at one point, but there's being so confident and loud about it that I cannot fathom.
>>
>>1201388
>religion whose texts explicitly elevate the "lower class"
>should only be taught by higher ups
Why do Catholics call themselves Christian when literally none of them follow ANYTHING in the Bible?
>>
>>1201444
>Why do Catholics call themselves Christian when literally none of them follow ANYTHING in the Bible?
Why do Protestants consider themselves Christian when all they do is spit on Christ?
>>
>>1200438
>Islamic Golden Age
>>
File: 1464203425781.jpg (65 KB, 557x724) Image search: [Google]
1464203425781.jpg
65 KB, 557x724
>>1201372
>its half romance and half indo-european
???
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1201538

half romance and half germanic

>>1201404
>Completely wrong, are you unaware of Proto-Germanic? Proto-Celtic?

yes

>Do you actually believe that Germanic languages come from Latin?

proto-illyrian, latin, finnic, and pre-indo-european languages

>What about the Indo Aryan languages?

What about them?

>There weren't "pre-PIE" languages, just different ones.

it means languages which were spoken by a people before they spoke indo-european languages

>And how would you explain Norse coming from Latin?

When was the earliest attestation of Norse? When was the earliest attestation of any germanic language? You'll find there's no record or evidence of these languages until well after extensive contact, influence and exchange between germanic people and romans
>>
>>1201447
Says the guy hating on the poor and downtrodden. You know, the same people Jesus surrounded himself with? Might help if you crack open the Bible, instead of blindly following your papal hierarchy.
>>
>>1201424
Loudest man in the room is usually assumed to be right. The very reason trolls can't fuck off
>>
>>1201608
>proto-illyrian, latin, finnic, and pre-indo-european languages
Phonetics, grammar, do these words mean anything to you?

>When was the earliest attestation of Norse?
Rune stone carvings
>>
>>1201160

Dont eat well in childhood and you wont be able to become as tall as your genes would otherwise allow. Its exactly the same for the brain.
>>
>>1201682
On a side note, it is claimed that being tall is correlated with higher probability of getting cancer. You're probably better of between tall and small.
>>
>>1201670
>Rune stone carvings

writing doesn't attest a language. Runes are based on the latin alphabet by the way, and thats the mainstream position, but historians can't take the logical step that the language is based on latin as well. If their writing system was derived from latin then their language could have been. And there's no reason for any other explanation let alone imaginary narratives about mythical prehistorical races.

Indus valley script for example doesn't attest a language, we don't know what language it was for because we can't decipher a language by looking at the characters
>>
>>1201670
>Phonetics, grammar, do these words mean anything to you?

'not science'
>>
>>1201709
>writing doesn't attest a language.
The script itself does not but the language it was written for can be understood if the script could be understood.
>Runes are based on the latin alphabet by the way, and thats the mainstream position
Wrong, they're both based on Italic script
>but historians can't take the logical step that the language is based on latin as well
Because your previous statements are false
>If their writing system was derived from latin then their language could have been
Hell no, I can write Japanese words in Latin script, that doesn't mean Japanese is Germanic
>And there's no reason for any other explanation let alone imaginary narratives about mythical prehistorical races.
There are, I've illustrated

>Indus valley script for example doesn't attest a language, we don't know what language it was for because we can't decipher a language by looking at the characters
If we could decipher the script, we could figure out the language features, and from there see of it has any relatives. We did these with Egyptian Hieroglyphics
>>
>>1201740
>'not science'
What do you mean? I'm saying that languages are classified by things like phonetics and grammar, not word origin (this is normally given though). Most importantly, you just follow the languages history, and from there you clearly tell it's from Old English, which follows all the way back to Proto-Germanic and PIE. You can't skip to another language family.
>>
>>1201382
We don't find them, they find us.
>>
>>1201626
>Says the guy hating on the poor and downtrodden
You pulling my leg here, right? You know who has the biggest charities? It's the Catholics. You know who helps the poor in Latin America, it's the Catholic Church.
>>
>>1201160
Define IQ
>>
>>1201939
>because your previous statements are false
And it was also nonsensical to begin with

>that doesn't mean Japanese is Germanic
I mean Latin for our exercise, not Germanic
>>
>>1201286
It is. The amount of mindfucking theological dodging to cover up this simple fact is astonishing. Even more astonishing is the fact that there are people on /his/ who actually buy this cheap crap.
>>
>>1202092
Christianity could easily make sense as a monotheistic religion, in fact Partialism, Arainism, and Modalism are all explanations for just that. But of course these are grave heresies, the trinity has to make no sense at all to be the real thing.
>>
>>1202092
>The amount of mindfucking theological dodging to cover up this simple fact is astonishing.
But it's not. Three wholes are parts that make up one being. Simple as fuck.
>Even more astonishing is the fact that there are people on /his/ who actually buy this cheap crap.
If I had a fedora image I would post it.
>>
>half of this board believes that world is 6000 years old
>>
>>1202104
>Jesus isn't God
Wow anon, go be a heretic somewhere else.
>>
File: heresy.jpg (12 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
12 KB, 300x200
>>1202108
>parts
>>
>>1200438
>Europeans were never invaded by non-white people
>>
>>1202118
>Wholes which are parts (but not really) that equals one
>>
>>1202124
Each 'person' has to be completely and transcendentally whole, they can't be parts to equal anything. Your explanation was just partialism.

Parts but wholes doesn't make any sense. So I guess we are entering trinity territory.
>>
>>1202139
>Parts but wholes doesn't make any sense
But it does. The Whole is made of up of three smaller wholes.
>>
File: Yahweh's Demon.png (2 MB, 1350x1491) Image search: [Google]
Yahweh's Demon.png
2 MB, 1350x1491
>>1202108
>wholes are parts

I get the whole credo quia absurdum thing but that falls down a bit when you start trying to deny the absurdum bit.
>>
>>1202157
>The Whole is made of up of three smaller wholes.

No, according to most christians god isn't voltron. He doesn't need 3 parts to be combined. Smaller wholes that combine to make a larger whole is just wordplay. Those "smaller wholes" are just parts. Partialism, heresy!

Three but actually not 3 but actually one. It can't be understood logically which is why it was debated for centuries and still remains a contentious subject.
>>
>>1202181
How do you know he isn't Voltron?
>>
>>1202181
>Those "smaller wholes" are just parts. Partialism, heresy!
Smaller wholes is a whole. A Smaller whole isn't part because a part cannot be a whole, ergo it's a whole.
>>
File: 1357374870618.jpg (46 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1357374870618.jpg
46 KB, 600x400
>Catholics and Protestants chimping out over which of their versions of the myth is right
>again
>>
File: 00195232.0005.png (21 KB, 150x146) Image search: [Google]
00195232.0005.png
21 KB, 150x146
>>1202194
>A Smaller whole isn't part because a part cannot be a whole, ergo it's a whole.

And a 'whole' cannot be a part of a 'whole'. That would make it a part. Come the fuck on dude.

>>1202189
To be honest I can't disprove this.
>>
>>1202201
>And a 'whole' cannot be a part of a 'whole'
So a whole isn't a whole? The fuck are you on?
>>
>"Why are you spending your time reading? Does it make you any money?"
>"You waste a lot of your time. Why read the book when you could see the movie? Why cook when you can just buy food?"
>"I did some maths and it's much more cost effective for your time to" etc etc
>said a guy who was literally in the process of buying 120$ of Magic Cards.

An actual conversation I had. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>1202205
You are falsely defining parts as wholes. So yeah, what you're talking about isn't a whole. The "lesser wholes" you're describing are no more wholes than pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. They combine to make a whole, e.g. parts.
>>
>>1202215
>The "lesser wholes" you're describing are no more wholes than pieces of a jigsaw puzzle
That would be a part. I'm not talking about parts, I'm talking about wholes. It's like 3 jigsaw puzzles mashed together to make one massive jigsaw puzzle that just works.
>>
>>1202208
There's money to be made in M:TG if you're good at it. The kind of guy doing EV calculations in his head (I assume) regarding your time is the kind of guy who might well be good enough at it to make money doing it; at least one top poker player cut his teeth on M:TG.
>>
Vietnam War memes on /his/ and /k/

1. We never really tried!
2. HCM wasn't even a communist!
3. We could have nuked them!
4. They were about to surrender!
5. We didn't lose! It was the Democrats stopping the funding!
6. We signed the Paris Peace treaty! That proves we won!
7. McDonald's in Hanoi = Victory
8. Muh Kill/Death ratio!
9. We stopped the spread of Communism!
10. Vietnamese people are pro-American so we won in the long-run!
>>
>>1202227
>HCM wasn't even a communist!
He was a nationalist who ended up being a commie who really, really, really liked America.
>>
>>1200567

>(not Catholic)

The Roman Empire never was catholic.

>and didn't even control Rome itself.

a) yes they did
b) Irrelevant. Rome had been largely irrelevant several years even before the East-West divide. Milan, Ravenna, Trier, Constantinople all surpassed it.
>>
>>1202227
you forgot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I
oh wait that's an actual meme. my bad
>>
>>1202220
Not quite, let's exit this conversation of abstractions for a second because we aren't getting anywhere.

Let's imagine 3 humans that want to combine to make a pyramid. In this context the 'whole' is the pyramid and the 3 people are just parts that make it up.

If we're to connect this to god then the pyramid is god and the 3 people are the father, the son, and the holy spirit. The partialist explanation, and the one that it seems you offered, is that the 3 persons are parts that make up the pyramid that is god.

That isn't the christian claim though. The claim is that each person is wholly and completely a pyramid. The pyramid is 3 people but it's also each individual. Doesn't make any sense? That's the trinity.
>>
>>1202231
Okay?

Also, I need a source on him really really really liking America.
>>
>>1202240
>The claim is that each person is wholly and completely a pyramid.
Are you implying the person isn't?
>Doesn't make any sense?
But it does make sense, and I'll keep saying it makes sense because it just works.
>>
>>1202233
I'm speaking of Roman ethnolinguistically.
You're speaking of it politically.
>>
>>1202249
He emulated and tried to us his politicking powers to trick us into funding him.
>>
>>1202252
>Are you implying the person isn't?
Uh, yeah? One person on his own can't make a pyramid.
>>
>>1202255
>Roman ethnolinguistically
Despite the fact that there were always many different cultures under the "Roman" umbrella from the day they started conquering the rest of Italy?

There were Etruscan Romans, Greek Romans, Latin Romans, Celtic Romans... and on and on within Italy alone.
>>
>>1202259
>One person on his own can't make a pyramid.
Bullshit, he can do what he wants, if he wants to make a one man pyramid then why stop him?
>>
File: 1436846927727.jpg (12 KB, 450x303) Image search: [Google]
1436846927727.jpg
12 KB, 450x303
>>1202266
>>
>the Nanking Massacre didn't happen
>The CCP allied with the Japanese
>All Chinese eat dogs
>Mao killed 60 million Chinese
>Deng wanted Democracy
>Chinese civilization has no important achievements (this was a /pol/tard yesterday)
>Chinese are mongol rape babies
>Everyone always hated Chinese
>KMT was great and commie liars in America made them lose the Civil War
>Taiwan never was part of China
>Japan was civilizing China
>Hong Kong was a democracy under the British
>KMT China would have been just like KMT Taiwan

And today I saw
>Mao made China powerful
>>
>>1200467
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasta#History
No.
>>
>>1202278
>Tibet never was conquered by China
>Tibet was always independent
>SYS wanted Democracy
>the Japanese didn't fuck up the Nanking decade and condemn China to Communism
>>
>>1202272
Why are you posting a disgruntled Ratzinger at me?
>>
>>1202109
No one believes this go tip your fedora elsewhere
>>
>>1202278
For a big unified country with the highest population in the world China remained irrelevant for quite some time
>>
>columbus discovered america
>>
>>1202347
>China
>irrelevant

Even in the depth of the 1910's it wasn't irrelevant.
>>
>>1202355
>muh self strangfing muvment
>>
>>1202336
So you are heretic then
>>
>>1202448
>God's time is different to ours
>Meaning that to him, 6 days is billions of years for us Humans
Don't play retard anon.
>>
File: AncientTrinity.gif (45 KB, 622x654) Image search: [Google]
AncientTrinity.gif
45 KB, 622x654
>>1201286
>>1202092
>>1202104
That's like saying that Yin and Yang are separate, divisible concepts that exist independently from one another. The truth is that you need one to complete the other or the symbol stops making sense. The trinity works the same way.

The Catholic tradition is to believe in consubstantiation, that father, son, and holy ghost are different manifestations of the same transcendent being, that though we can not directly study this being we can indirectly infer this being's intentions through concepts like "father" and "son". "Studying the intentions of God" is what lead to hermitages, which became monasteries, which became the first universities, it was Catholic support for the sciences which provoked the Protestant backlash, who felt that the church wasn't emphasizing the miracles of Jesus heavily enough.

The core Catholic principle is that this transcendent being is not meant to be understood on a personal level (that's what makes him transcendent), necessitating the presence of the church and priestly intermediaries who study the subject matter well enough to help people make informed judgments.
>>
>>1202493
A = God, B = God, C = God

But A =! B =! C

This makes no logical sense.
>>
>>1202535
Do you want to start the smaller Wholes which are Wholes are Wholes in itself?
>>
>>1200438
>>anything outside of the Hellenic or Latin classical period Europe was stone age apes

but that's not a meme anon
>>
>>1202493
Everyone knows Christianity became polytheistic faith, that's why Islam was created to undo the wrongs of the church.
>>
>>1202558
Fuck off Ahmed, go lose to Israel again.
>>
>>1202564
He's right tho
>>
>>1202571
But he isn't.
>>
>>1202578
he is doe
>>
>>1202593
Nu-uh.
>>
>>1202595
ye
>>
>>1202598
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
>>
File: 3938134089.png (7 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
3938134089.png
7 KB, 420x420
>>1202603
>Islam
1 God (yes I know it's violent)
>Christianity
3 Gods (this is violent too)
>>
>>1202603
>Islam appeared after Christianity
>It believes in Jesus as the Messiah
>Believes in the virgin birth
>Unapologetically monotheistic

Seems pretty clear desu
>>
>>1202610
>3 Gods (this is violent too)
>3
It's one you dolt.
>>1202612
But that's horseshit, Jesus is the leader, not some goatfucker warlord.
>>
>>1202620
>1
>Has a son
>Is himself

That's already 2 if the maths checks out
>>
>>1202647
>Is himself
So that would be one.
>>
>>1200453
>This faggot isn't a Graveller.
>>
>>1202654
>I am my own son

Do you not realize how retarded that sounds.
>>
>>1202669
>Do you not realize how retarded that sounds.
I mean, to you it sounds retarded, but what should you know? You're probably a cuck wanting Islam and probably forced to convert for a girl.
>>
>>1202679
Just wanted to have some fun, cheers lad.
>>
File: 1462401086422.png (390 KB, 630x654) Image search: [Google]
1462401086422.png
390 KB, 630x654
>>1202679
>To you
>Implying

It sounds retarded to any logical human being capable of rational thought.

You cannot be your own son by definition.
>>
>>1202717
>You cannot be your own son by definition.
Who's definition?
>>
>nazis dindu nuffin
>commies dindu nuffin
>imperialists dindu nuffin
>colonialists dindu nuffin
>crusaders dindu nuffin
>>
>>1202735
>crusaders
>not literally dindu nuffin
What part are you implying, sacking Constantinople?
>>
>>1202263
thats an empire m8, not a people

Latins conquered and made subjects for the most part, you could be a part of the roman empire and not a Roman.
>>
>>1202804
>thats an empire m8, not a people
What the fuck do you think "Roman" refers to? It's not an ethnicity.
>>
>>1201939
> Wrong, theyre both based on the italic script

That lends more credibility to germanic languages being descended from latin.
>>
>>1202817

There was a roman ethnicity
>>
File: 1453070819048.png (538 KB, 680x354) Image search: [Google]
1453070819048.png
538 KB, 680x354
>>1202939
>>
>>1200443
More so. The town a few miles down the road from you would likely have had a different dialect and allegiance from yours.
>>
>>1202948
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latins_(Italic_tribe)
>>
>>1203054
Latin isn't the same as Roman, smegma-breath.

I literally said in the post you didn't bother to read that Roman wasn't necessarily tied to ethnicity to begin with. There were Greek Romans, Latin Romans, Etruscan Romans...
>>
File: 1436324603234.gif (443 KB, 506x516) Image search: [Google]
1436324603234.gif
443 KB, 506x516
>>1202028
Mostly because the Catholic church is the biggest one on the planet, m8. The Catholic church was an enormous political entity in Europe and just about every nation was Catholic before the Reformation. Of course they're the ones with the most infrastructure and money to help the poor.

Also, they're not helping. They're fucking up Uganda and the Sudan by preaching incredibly regressive morality, which is leading to vigilante killings against gay people and allies of gay people. Not to mention the Pope going full retard and reminding everyone not to use condoms despite that whole AIDS thing and insisting they stick to abstinence only education in these schools.
>>
>>1203076
Rome, made by Latins, and holding the culture of Latins, dominated other groups.

other non-Romans, Greeks, Gauls, and such, were made "roman" insofar as they were conquered, but they were not Romans themselves, only the victims of their empire. Romans were Latins.
>>
>>1200450
>All Germanics are blonde

Ausfag here. I have brown eyes and brown hair and whenever I come across foreigners/tourists, mostly the Mediterranean/Spanish types they think I'm German at first sight. I do have German ancestry but yeah.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 490x604) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 490x604
>>1201202
>>Egyptians are Arabs
>>North Africans in general are Arabs
>implying this isn't true
>>
>>1202935
so Mongolian is now a Slavic language because it's written with the Cyrillic script?
>>
File: 1420493109517.png (82 KB, 249x239) Image search: [Google]
1420493109517.png
82 KB, 249x239
>>1203212
>Americans
>>
File: 1464050391648.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1464050391648.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
>>1203285
>your post
>>
>>1200438
>Communism
The meme that autists just wont give up on
>>
>>1202948
>>1203076

romans were the tribe who gave their name to rome...
>>
>>1203457
Were you dropped on your head as a child?
>>
>>1203278

no.

That runes are based on italic scripts lends credibility/likelihood to the germanic language being descende from latin, because it shows archaic contact, exchange and influence between germanic and italic people. Its significant both because of how archaic the contact, exchange and influence is, and also because of its extent - if the germanic people's relationship with italic people was such that their system of writing was derived from italic script, it shows their language could have been derived from italic languages too.

Just so you know historians have no explanation as to how italic script was transfered to germanic people. The attestations are found in scandinavia, far from italy. The mainstream theory of the origins of germanic languages makes it problematic for historains to explain.

If germanic languages originated in central europe then its not problematic at all. The association of Hallstat, La tene and Urnfeild with the origins of celtic culture is probably mistaken. Rather its where germanic languages originated, influenced by proto-illyrian and italic, and maybe alongside celtic languages as well. It later became influenced by finnic as it moved north
>>
>>1203465

tribes give their names to place names, or vice versa. The roman ethnicity or tribe were the people of rome
>>
>>1203510
Rome is named after the legend of Romulus.
>>
wow that parts wholes conversation about the trinity going fucking nowhere and the trinity remains as dumbfoundedly obtuse as ever
>>
>>1203505
>The mainstream theory of the origins of germanic languages makes it problematic for historains to explain.
No it doesn't. The Runic alphabet is only attested from the second century AD onwards, after Germanic people were known to serve in the Roman army in great numbers.
>>
>>1201740
Not an argument.
>>
>>1203532

150 AD
>>
>>1203546
Right

Or is that what you were talking about when you said archaic? If you really believe Germanic languages were derived from Latin in 150 AD you're retarded.
>>
>>1202535
God = {Father, Son, Ghost}
Ghost ∈ God
>>
>>1202278
>>Mao killed 60 million Chinese

So how many Chinese did the Great Helmsman kill?

>>KMT China would have been just like KMT Taiwan

How so?
>>
>>1203505
>That runes are based on italic scripts lends credibility/likelihood to the germanic language being descende from latin
By that logic, Greek is a Semitic language.
>>
>>1203567

no, not entirely, I'm saying it began much earlier then that, but continued
>>
>>1203601

see

>>1203505

There's no relationship between greek and semitic, however germanic and latin are both indo-european and both closely related.

If germanic is not derived from latin and greek, then we'd have to believe that it derived from mythical proto indo european people who migrated from western asia to scandinavia. Occam's razor simply does away with it
>>
>>1203615
>mythical
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corded_Ware_culture#Origins_and_development

There is both genetic and archeological evidence for them, and most importanty linguistic evidence. Germanic being descended from Latin is not compatible at all with linguistic evidence

inb4 >speculation >not a science
Not an argument.

>Occam's razor
I don't think that means what you think it means
>>
>>1203635

Lat8n and Greek are thoroughly documented languages and we know that germanic and celtic people had extensive contact with romans and to a lesser extent greeks. Occams razor does away with the neccessity for any other explanation as to why celtic and grrmanic languages are related to latin and greek. We have no record of these languages until well after extensive contact.

Linguistics and philology are not sciences and PIE and the origins of indo european languages are highly speculative and hypothetical areas that require lots of assumptions
>>
>>1204090
>Linguistics and philology are not sciences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics

>Linguistics is the scientific[1] study of language.[2]
>>
>>1203615
>>1204090
Occam's razor isn't a logical rule. Something taking more assumptions can still yield a correct result. All Occam's razor indicates is that the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions is the most likely to yield results, and thus best to pursue.
>>
File: 1405640629692.gif (2 MB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
1405640629692.gif
2 MB, 200x293
>>1201202
>>Egyptians are Arabs
You do know the Egyptian state is officially called the Arab Republic of Egypt, right?
>>
>>1204117

Yet it still isnt a science. Whatever the case may be, PIE shit is far and away from science
>>
>>1204285
Define science.
>>
>>1204292

Lets start by excluding any of the humanities, semantic ways of explaining the world, mental masturbation and woo. Unfortunatley your nazi fairytale falls into all of those categories
>>
>>1200443
Europe was and still is far, far more culturally diverse than the US is today. Americans just can't understand this because they think in terms of race whereas Europeans tend to think in terms of language and dialect.
>>
>>1204324
Oh, so it was bait all along.
>>
>>1200438
Folk that treat "the indo-Europeans" like fucking Tolkien Elves/some mystical progenitor race.

>these various rituals from across Eurasia which have no real similarities other than they all involve horses and most of which were probably just Christian propaganda and appear only in a single manuscript are totally all derived from a single indo-European ritual!
>>
>>1203253

Youve got to hand it to goebbels, he turned the perception of a nation of brunette, somewhat swarthy people (reknown for these features in the anglosphere) into "blond hair and blue eyes"
>>
>>1204331
>taxation is theft: the post
>>
>>1201202
>Greeks are Turks
>Iberians are Arabs
>English people are German/Danish
>Egyptians are Arabs

These are literally true.
>>
>>1204347
Still butthurt, I see.

>no real similarities
>happened at the inauguration of a king
>horse is fucked
>horse is cut up and distributed for consumption

>all this happening among people who have been demonstrated to be related
>I-it's just Christian propaganda
>>
>>1204370

Greeks are actually Greeks

Iberians are actually Iberians with lots of ethnic mix

English are primarily descendants of the prehistoric inhabitants of Britain with a Germanic root language.

Egyptians are one of the most mixed people on earth.

North Africans are mostly Berbers, not Arabs.
>>
>>1203212

Under Caracalla all of the people in the peripheral provinces were made into Roman citizens. Your point is moot.
>>
>>1202535
It's God, it exists beyond your logic/understanding of the perceivable universe precisely because God isn't perceivable.

It's no less intuitive/logical than quantum mechanics or >3 dimensional space.
>>
>>1203576
A subset with a smaller cardinality than the set itself is not equal to the set.
>>
Anti-PIE plebs should read Don Ringe or Lyle Campbell and realize that the comparative method is more than just speculation
>>
>>1200438
>2cool4school pseudo-linguists saying things like Proto Indo-European not existing
Sounds reasonable
>>
File: 1463252039179.jpg (46 KB, 545x450) Image search: [Google]
1463252039179.jpg
46 KB, 545x450
>>1200438
>What grinds your gears, /his/?

Defining cultures and civilizations as "white" or "non-white".
My biggest problem with armchair historians.
>>
File: 1464388706185.png (848 KB, 2000x1635) Image search: [Google]
1464388706185.png
848 KB, 2000x1635
>>1204554
>>
>>1204372
>Irish ritual
>happened at the inauguration of a king
>involved a single mare
>mare may or may not have been fucked
>mare eaten afterwards
>appears in a single manuscript by Gerald of Wales who calls the Irish "excessively savage and abominable" and whose family was in the middle of taking huge tracts of land from Irish Christians
>hence, Gerald had a huge vested interested in making the Irish look like pagan barbarians
>absolutely no other evidence
>hence, almost certainly false

>Viking ritual
>happened at inauguration of a king
>involved MULTIPLE STALLIONS
>no mention of horse fucking
>no mention of horse penis
>appears in a single Icelandic saga written at least 100 years after the fact
>same saga claims the King of Denmark fought an exploding mermaid
>again, absolutely no other evidence
>hence, highly spurious

>a different Icelandic work this time written at least 400 years after the fact describes the ritual worship of a horse penis in a context entirely unrelated to the other rituals
>again, absolutely no other evidence
>somehow this is reliable
>somehow this is brought in as evidence

>roman ritual
>entirely unrelated to coronation of kings, takes place every autumn
>hence, likely related to the harvest rather than kings
>absolutely no horse fucking
>absolutely no mention of horse penis
>absolutely no mention of eating the horse
>does involve a mock battle over the horse's head which doesn't appear in any of the other rituals
>does involve a horse race which doesn't appear in any other rituals

>Indian ritual
>involves a single stallion
>again isn't related to the coronation, happens yearly in the Spring

Even if we ignore the fact that half of your "examples" are pure fantasy the rituals just aren't that similar save at least one horse of varying sex is sacrificed.

And even then, to argue that these disparate rituals are all directly descended from a single indo-European ritual is pure neo-Ayrianist bullshit.
>>
>>1204372

And if we DON'T ignore the fact that half your example simply never fucking happened we are left with the Indian Ritual and the Roman ritual which simply bare no resemblance to one another.

The Roman ritual involves a race between numerous horses, the Indian ritual doesn't.

The Indian ritual is focused chiefly on the king, the Roman ritual isn't.

The Indian ritual involves symbolic sex between the horse and the Queen, the Roman ritual has nothing to do with sex.

The Roman ritual takes place in the Autumn, the Indian ritual takes place in the Spring.

Neither ritual involves eating the horse.

>inb4 the tail is supposed to be a metaphors for the penis
>inb4 the Roman ritual used to be in the Spring, they must have just changed it for some reason!
>inb4 the Roman ritual involves the Regia, so clearly it MUST have originally been the archaic Roman coronation ritual!

Fuck off back to /x/ with this Thule Society bullshit.
>>
>>1204402
>English are primarily descendants of the prehistoric inhabitants of Britain with a Germanic root language.

The average person in Britain is like 40%-50% Anglo-Saxon / Viking with the rest being Briton

Even If they are mostly Briton 40-50% being descendant from continental Germanic tribes is a big fucking percentage
>>
>>1204600
Nope.

In England it's 60% Celtic/Briton, in Scotland it's 70% an in Wales it's 80%.
>>
>>1204606
>Scotland and Wales
>Relevant
>>
>>1200567
They were the continuation of the roman empire but not of ancient roman civilization which had collapsed
>>
but that's true
>>
>>1200515
Antii white pls go
>>
>>1204625
>who are the Persians?
>what is China?
>>
>>1200515
>Thinks this is what he's referring too
>>
>>1204631
It was specifically referring to Europe

As in saying that before medieval era there was no civilisation above stone age in Europe
>>
>>1200515
Eh, races classified as actual races be it from animals in the wild or artificial breeds like whooly pig also have mixed ancestry of differing strains.

But at the moment this mixture stayed so long under its own that it breeding with its kind will always result un the same homogenous kind of mixture you can regard it as "pure" again.

If it werent so subspecies in general wouldnt be accepted as existing.
>>
>>1204640
The Persians were in Thrace.
>>
>>1204640
How can you even believe this, just look at a map of the spread of iron-and bronzeworking technology and this is disproven
>>
>>1204561
>>1204585
hang yourself
>>
>>1204648
Because some people are so convinced that germaniggers and snowniggers were apes before the Romans showed them the light
>>
>>1204648
>civilization is material meme
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 256x256
>>1204650
>h-hang yo-yourself
>>
File: 1463293535731.jpg (41 KB, 618x555) Image search: [Google]
1463293535731.jpg
41 KB, 618x555
>>1204653
Are you aggressively retarded or what, the claim was that there was no civilization above stone age in europe which is already disproven by the fact that they had Iron working technology
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-28_06-13-59.png (276 KB, 357x859) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-28_06-13-59.png
276 KB, 357x859
>>1204585
It's pretty convenient that you can ignore the Irish and Norse rituals, which bear the most resemblance to the Indian ritual in function. But the Indian and Roman rituals have more parralels than you're acknowledging. See pic.

You also have to remember that these rituals are attested thousands of years after divergence and cultures aren't static.
>>
>>1204665
It isn't convenient, it is the only conclusion one can reach when one isn't a mouth breathing retard.

>You also have to remember that these rituals are attested thousands of years after divergence and cultures aren't static

Now THAT'S convenient. You can't just wheel out cultural shift to account for the myriad differences between different rituals without establishing a common origin in the first place, that logic's completely circular.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 165x115
>>1204665
>that entire text

Who wrote this garbage?
>>
>>1200482
What, are you supposed to take Caesar's propaganda at face value?
>>
>>1204557
I think your beef lies with murricans then.
On continental europe calling people white isnt really a thing.
The same goes for whiteness whatever the fuck that is.
>>
>>1202535
Excuse my shit analogy here but let's say "you're the sum of all of your body parts but your arm isn't your leg"
>>
>>1204701
How about the myriad of similarities? The kernel of the ritual is all there in Irish, Norse, and Indian. When you add in something as bizarre as royal copulation with a horse and the fact that these cultures have a common origin the likeliness that it is inherited is high.

>>1204714
Oh no one, just a professor at Oxford, J.P Mallory.
>>
>>1204625
>>1204640
Celts had some advanced shit
>>
>>1200438
>Memes that need to die
Gnosticism
>>
>>1204781
>When you add in something as bizarre as royal copulation with a horse and the fact that these cultures have a common origin the likeliness that it is inherited is high.
But only the indian one has the mock coupling with the horse.

The irish one can be interpreted however you like, and the Roman one takes serious mental gymnastics to work
>>
>>1204781
>How about the myriad of similarities?

How about the myriad of differences.

>When you add in something as bizarre as royal copulation with a horse

A part from Gerald of Wales' shilling that is ONLY present in the Indian myth, and even then I am not convinced of the accuracy of that account.

>the fact that these cultures have a common origin the likeliness that it is inherited is high.

That is simply rank bullshit. There wasn't an single, identifiable indo-European race or culture. There was a language family, and perhaps AT MOST a collection of similar belief systems which may have INFLUENCED other belief systems. This I feel accounts for some superficial similarities between the Greek, Germanic, and various Near Eastern pantheons.

But to say that all of these belief systems and that all of these peoples have a single common origin is simply a step too far, even if it wasn't for the fact that you're being completely uncritical in your approach to the evidence and are simply accepting whatever supports your hypothesis at face value.
>>
File: spontaneo is silent.jpg (55 KB, 236x210) Image search: [Google]
spontaneo is silent.jpg
55 KB, 236x210
>>1201160
>IQ
>>
>>1200443
>it wasn't culturally diverse because they were all white
>>
>>1204781
J.P Mallory isn't at Oxford though, he's Queen's University Belfast, which explains why he's so desperate to prove the Irish were Indo-European.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-28_07-20-04.png (462 KB, 723x928) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-28_07-20-04.png
462 KB, 723x928
Interesting, there's some evidence for the ritual in Hittite too.

>>1204857
Oh, my bad, I assumed he was at Oxford since he authored The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 640x960
>>1204857
>WE WUZ JEWS N SHIET!
>>
>>1204843
Hell, the people a few villages over might speak a dialect you couldn't understand.
>>
>>1204871
That isn't evidence of the ritual, that's one person's interpretation of some material culture.

Also, horses aren't mentioned there at all and there seems to be nothing to actually suggest the figures depicted are actually the King and Queen.
>>
>>1204871
>The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World

My university library doesn't have a copy, so it can't be up to much.
>>
>>1204905
Correction, that's one person's interpretation of a SINGLE PIECE of material culture (which has nothing to do with horses).
>>
>Cultural Relativism
>Chomskyism
>It being socially relatively acceptable to be a communist even though they killed more people than the Nazis
>Islam apologism
>Anti-Americanism
>>
>>1203253
I'm norwegian and neither blond nor blue-eyed, my hair is very wavy too.

Never been taken for anything but scandinavian, except one time I was taken for Icelandic by some Icelanders I met.
>>
>>1205274
Do you believe in God?
>>
>Trotsky would have made the revolution all awesome and like democratic, man!

NO. Stalin was actually the lesser evil there. Trotsky believed in full on, unpaid universal slavery and forced labor, the annihilation of any remaining bit of traditional culture, and in not stopping until the whole world was enslaved. Would've been by far the worst monster in history if he had stayed on top.
>>
>>1205315

trotsky was up for economic experimentation, respected expertise in sciences and engineering as well as military, and believed more in manipulating people than mass murdering them in purges

things might have been different with trotsky, like the spanish civil war, who knows what that would of been like if the soviets didnt actively sabotage their part, lysenko wouldnt be a thing, and so on
>>
>>1205302
I'd say I'm agnostic.
>>
>>1202336
I don't understand why Creationists are almost universally told to fuck off whenever they appear on 4chan and in modern first-world nations in general, but people are often much more tolerant of other Christian beliefs.
How is believing in all of this other supernatural shit any less ridiculous than believing the world is only ~6,000 years old? Is the evidence to the contrary for just this one very specific belief so much more overwhelming than for the others?
>>
>>1205373
>Is the evidence to the contrary for just this one very specific belief so much more overwhelming than for the others?

Yeah, pretty much. And it's not just the earth, it's the universe. So the visibility of stars more than 6kly away is like, direct, glaring evidence that it's false.

It has so many other knock-on implications, too, for archaeology, history, biology etc. "Jesus is magic", in a vacuum, implies fuck all except I guess "Worship Jesus" or whatever.
>>
>>1200438
>like Proto Indo-European not existing
Isn't that just a theoretical "language"
>>
>>1205373

because creationism is retarded and intellectualy bankrupt, they might as well believe the earth is flat, in fact some do
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.