[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please /his/ explain to me what race meant in Europe pre colonization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Please /his/ explain to me what race meant in Europe pre colonization and how it's affects on ethnic cultures. In my home country of the US all white people are merely "white" while minorities are the only people that seem to have the right to claim their ethnicity and cultural roots. I want to be educated on our past and why the first immigrants of our nation were so heavily divided by race and ethnicity despite being white.
>>
nothing. nobody never met anybody of different race so they didn't give a shit about them.
>>
>>1199818
Bullshit. Are you telling me gypsies aren't treated like crap in modern Europe still?
>>
>>1199821
what?
>>
>>1199825
The Roma people. Jesus man, I'm talking to the wrong person obviously.
>>
Straight out of Professor Emeritus Donald Kagan's own mouth:
>one of the things the Greeks believed, as we discover from a poem written by one of their major poets, is something so far as I know unique to the Greeks. They claimed that they were of the same race as the gods, and I really don't know of anybody else who made that claim.
http://oyc.yale.edu/transcript/154/clcv-205
>>
>>1199827
and what does that have to do with anything? we were talking about pre-colonial europe, not modern europe.
>>
>>1199827

The Gypsies weren't treated like crap because of their skin color. They were treated like crap because of their cultural propensity to trick and steal.
>>
>>1199849
That is so, but they are one race, Roma. Ethnicity and race are inextricably tied,
>>
>>1199828
Not ancient history, think more middle ages to renaissance
>>
File: spanish racial chart.jpg (157 KB, 696x978) Image search: [Google]
spanish racial chart.jpg
157 KB, 696x978
>>1199815
The earliest instances of what we would recognize as race in Europe can be traced back to Spain close to the end of the Medieval period. Before, Spaniards would mostly only talk shit about the Moors and Jews for not accepting Jesus, but after the 1492, when Spaniards took Granada, the last bastion of Islam and expelled all Jews who refused to convert, things changed. Now that the Moors or Jews weren't a problem in Spain and everyone was ostensibly Christian, many Spanish nobles still wanted power and wealth. They began to discriminate against people who were descended from Moors, even if they were Christian.

How can determine if someone is descended from a moor? The Spaniards used skin color. The phrase 'blue blood' comes from Spanish nobles bragging about how they had no Moorish blood, meaning the blue of their veins was visible beneath their pale skin. Since this period coincides with the conquest of the New world. The Spanish Nobles quickly realized they could apply this new concept of discrimination based on phenotype as a marker for ancestry to the natives. They developed a complex hierarchy based on the proportion of Native, Moorish, and White blood, which can be seen in this chart.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.