[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinese History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Asian.jpg (104 KB, 736x638) Image search: [Google]
Asian.jpg
104 KB, 736x638
Can we please have a thread discussing and collecting resources on one of the most ancient civilizations in history?
>>
All I know about Chinese history is that Chinese civil wars are literally the most horrifying thing in existence
>>
>>1197525
>Qing Empire
>Korea included
What.
>>
>>1197525
All I've found documentary wise is some pretty shitty We Wuz Xia shit that gives an ok historical background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCkBFKnUSao
>>
>>1197606
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiVCagCDXANC6RPVc0NAzj3BcWHf5S1mK Wrong link sorry here is the playlist
>>
>>1197525
"Chinese" history is only Chinese in retrospect.
>>
RL isnt considered canon Im afraid
>>
>>1197541
Korea was a vassal. The Chinese defended them in a humiliating war against the japanese in the 19th century.
>>
>>1197525
Hate on the Manchus all you want, but they were the best conquerors in Chinese history.
>>
Can anyone recommend me a decent read on the development of a distinct culture from the mainland in Hong Kong under British rule?
>>
>>1197868
>only won because some faggot let them in through the Great Wall
>so butthurt about their shitty fashion they forced all the Chinese to adopt their shitty queue
>couldn't modernize China because they were too busy praising Tengri

senpai...
>>
>>1197868
You hawk loving freaks caused the century of humiliation with your ass-backwards way of ruling. I regret that the Taiping didn't wipe you from the earth and instill a good Christian rule before the western powers completely fucked China over.
>>
>>1197999
>good Christian rule

t. Worst Korean
>>
>>1197916
no, but I know a good book on cold war era czechoslovakian tractors if you're interested
>>
>>1197525
how come this map doesn't include the South China Sea? everyone knows that it is ancestral Chinese territory and was recognised as such until western imperialism stole it from us
>>
>>1197525
German?
>>
File: 《咸丰皇帝朝服像》.jpg (2 MB, 1544x2530) Image search: [Google]
《咸丰皇帝朝服像》.jpg
2 MB, 1544x2530
>>1197999
>Heavenly
>Kingdom
>of Great Peace
>>
>>1197525
>French sphere of influence
>turns out shit
>Anglo sphere of influence
>turns out good

???
>>
>>1197933
I was talking about the Manchus expanding the borders of China.
>>
>>1198299
Speaking outside of China proper for a bit (Southeast Asia): A lot of that has more to do with their decolonization than their colonization, and it's also not entirely true. Britain was determined to ensure an orderly succession AND guaranteed independence. That led to positive results in Malaysia. Burma/Myanmar was another story however and had (and continues to have) a lot of problems with both colonial rule and postcolonial rule. By contrast, the French fought very hard to keep their colonial possessions in Vietnam and thus there were significant issues with the country after colonization, particularly as Americans got involved and blew it the fuck up (doing the same to Laos and somewhat to Cambodia).

Anyways China. Some recommended reading:

Davis' translation of Ouyang Xiu's Historical Records of Five Dynasties.

David Graff's book on "Medieval" Chinese Warfare

Anything by Dr. Rafe de Crespigny for 3k shit.

Frederick Mote's book on Imperial China starting from ~AD 900 and continuing to the early Qing.

Back catalog versions of Early Medieval China magazines.

Interlibrary loan to see if you can check out Brill hardcover books, particularly the biographical encyclopedias.
>>
>>1198299
>>Anglo sphere of influence
>>turns out good

Conviniently ignored African countries like Nigeria, Uganda, Rhodesia, Sudan....
>>
>>1198069
>everyone knows that it is ancestral Chinese territory and was recognised as such until western imperialism stole it from us

t-Chink, Viets colonized those islands centuries before chinese.
>>
Anon undertaking the painful and tedious task of translating Sanguozhi, the canonical history for 220-265, one random excerpt at a time:
xuesanguo.tumblr.com
>>
>>1198337
We're imperialists, not miracle workers
>>
>>1198352
>xuesanguo.tumblr.com

bookmarked

If you know this person (or if you are them), what are his thoughts on the Kongming Archives biography translations? Is he going to avoid doing those or save them for last, or is he going to ignore them?
>>
>>1198334
Thanks man, this is exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>1198351
>t. Phuc Duc Pham
>>
my ancestor was the baptist missionary to China that taught Hong Xiuquan the bible. I'm sorry my chinky friends...
>>
>>1198409
Does your family have any writings by him on his thoughts about Hong Xiuquan or the rebellion that transpired?
>>
>>1198444
idk, he a distant uncle and all around nobody. I don't really think he had any actual effect on Hong tho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issachar_Jacox_Roberts
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.