[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rus Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Prince Rurik Prince Rurik.jpg (2 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Prince Rurik Prince Rurik.jpg
2 MB, 1536x2048
How much of the legend behind Rurik is true?

Did Rurik and his men get slavanized genetically and culturally like the Normans or did they stay Norse for a long time?

How much did Rurik's Norse background affect the culture of the area? Is there still Norse/Germanic cultural links in 1600+ Russia?
>>
>>1295186
>How much of the legend behind Rurik is true?
He probably existed and first rulers of Kievan Rus were Normans.
>Did Rurik and his men get slavanized genetically and culturally like the Normans or did they stay Norse for a long time?
Yes, and they did it very quickly. It can even be seen by names of the princes:
>Oleg
Helge
>Igor
Ingvar
>Olga
Helga
>Svyatoslav
>Volodymer
Waldemar
>Yaroslav

>How much did Rurik's Norse background affect the culture of the area? Is there still Norse/Germanic cultural links in 1600+ Russia?
Rulers didn't affect shit. Novgorod and surroundings (archeological data suggests Novgorod appeared only in 10th century) has always been influenced by its neighbors heavily but Moscow and Russian core is a completely different story since territories of Vladimir-Suzdal principality were full of Finno-Ugrics, and they were colonized by what are now Russians way after viking activity. In fact, some people (Kostomarov, Zaliznyak) went as far as describing Novgorod as a completely separate identity. Either way, Ivan IV fucked Novgorod up so hard its culture almost disappeared so it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

In other words, yes, anti-Normanists are idiots.
In other words, no, Ivan wuz not vikingz n cyka blyat.
>>
>Rurik was finnish
>Rus were le scandinavian warriors xD

germaniggers and their alternative history will never fail to amaze me
>>
>>1295259
So when Ahmad ibn Fadiam described Rus he was in fact describing Slavs and not norsemen?
>>
>>1295303
No, he was describing norsemen. They were very active in the surroundings of Novgorod, as I said, but they didn't affect the local population of what's now Russia in any significant way as its core territories didn't even exist back then. The Norman influence of other East Slavic lands beyond Novgorod was also not very significant because there was no proper state apparatus and infrastructure. People tend to overestimate the centralization of Kievan Rus.
>>
>>1295330
So it's confirmed that vikings had tattoos?
>>
>>1295335
Hell if I know, I haven't read the guy. It's true that Rus was originally the name for norsemen, however. It spread over East Slavs through the rulers, kind of like what happened with Bulgarians.
>>
>>1295259
The name Vladimir came long before the name Waldemar.
>>
>>1295359
Then I guess it was even faster.
>>
>>1295335
Literally all the barbarians were tattooed.
Inversely, civilized people looked down on the practice.
>>
>>1295370
I never heard about vikings being tattooed they don't seem to mention it in the sagas.
>>
>Medieval Rus = Medieval Russia
When will this meme died?
>>
Russia in the late 8th century was typified by Norse sailing up and down various rivers or settling on the coast and slav tribes in the hinterland. It would be pointless for Vikings to march off into the wilderness and fight a guerrilla war to capture a few stray goats. Likewise the Slavs couldn't raid fortified settlements garrisoned with heavy infantry they lacked.

It is feasible that a trading city like Ladoga could peacefully assimilate surrounding tribes rather than brutally conquer them, though I'm sure force was a bargaining chip. The norse may have attacked the slavs to penalize a chieftain or as part of an alliance with another tribe.
>>
>>1295377
some arab scribe who visited vikings mentioned it though. Also you don't necessarliy write something in a saga if it's taken for granted. For example, there's no mention in the sagas of guys having hair on their balls and asscheeks. But they did.
>>
>>1295857
But sagas do mention scars, hair color and general appearance.
>>
>>1295497
When Russia ends, so in a couple of years.
>>
File: Putin.jpg (401 KB, 467x597) Image search: [Google]
Putin.jpg
401 KB, 467x597
>>1296019
Your right, it will be replaced by the Russian Empire.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.