[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is stoicism the superior philosophy of life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: zeno_citium.jpg (21 KB, 250x328) Image search: [Google]
zeno_citium.jpg
21 KB, 250x328
Is stoicism the superior philosophy of life?
>>
I have no strong opinion towards one way or another
>>
>>1186984
When is something a superior philosophy of life? Stoicism is pretty much dead and its members don't breed like rabbits.
>>
>>1186990
kek
>>
>>1186984
it is the most reasonable one
>>
>>1186990

Neat.

>>1186996

The number of adherents doesn't necessarily determine the quality of the philosophy.

Let's define superior as having the most positive contribution to a person's life.
>>
>>1186990

>he fell for the 'stoics are emotionless zombies' meme
>>
>>1187017
Stoicism can be a philosophical preparation for a good satanist or a good catholic. I hope you get what I mean.
>>
>>1187045

All I know is, my gut says maybe.
>>
It's a fine philosophy, but I'd contend it expects the impossible (as I recall some Stoics themselves would have agreed as they were divided on whether or not one could actually truly be a sage). Also, I disagree that pleasure should not be sought out and pain not avoided. While it's helpful to remember that neither is good or bad, they both exist in our minds for a reason and serve a purpose.
>>
If you're born a senator or emperor, yes.

If you're born a slave, no.
>>
>>1187823

>pain
>not being avoided
>exist in our minds for a reason

filthy existentialists
>>
stoicism gives some good tips
>>
>>1187844

>2016
>tipping

ISHYGDDT
>>
File: Pepism.jpg (10 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
Pepism.jpg
10 KB, 229x220
>>1187823
But pain IS pleasure...

Up to a certain point of course.
>>
>>1187831
Epictetus was a slave, dolt.
>>
>>1187823

I don't think it expects the impossible so much as idealizes the "perfect stoic" in the sage. It gives you a goal, but most stoic philosophers acknowledge it isn't really attainable.

>Also, I disagree that pleasure should not be sought out and pain not avoided.

The premise of stoicism isn't to avoid pleasure and embrace pain. Pleasure is to be embraced, you just need to mentally be prepared to not enjoy it again. The practise of depriving yourself of pleasure or causing yourself discomfort is an exercise to make you not take pleasure for granted, so that you enjoy it more. It's not so much a tenet as an occasional thing to make you more mindful.
It's sort of the idea of "hunger is the best appetizer" - depriving yourself of food for a day will make you really enjoy a basic meal, whereas if you're constantly gorging yourself on fine foods you'll take it for granted and probably not enjoy it as much. Stoicism doesn't argue "don't seek pleasure" it argues "be wary of excess, always be mindful of what you have, train yourself to enjoy the little things, and don't let pleasure rule you."
>>
>>1187831

Explain.

Why is a stoic philosophy detrimental to a slave?
I always hear this argument almost solely because Marcus Aurelius was a practising stoic. He an exceptional example of a stoic, and plenty of less privileged individuals practised it.
>>
>>1187896
It sounds remarkably similar to Epicureanism when you put it like that.
>>
>>1187924

They're very similar in quite a lot of ways.
>>
>>1187045
>>
>>1186984
Right there with Buddhism and Schopenhauer.
>>
File: 1462208160378.jpg (105 KB, 696x504) Image search: [Google]
1462208160378.jpg
105 KB, 696x504
>>1187823
>but I'd contend it expects the impossible (as I recall some Stoics themselves would have agreed as they were divided on whether or not one could actually truly be a sage).
yes goy, stay an hedonist goy
>>
>>1187818
Tell my wife I said "Hello."
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.