[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I started dating this Egyptology student who's studying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 070315-3781.jpg (184 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
070315-3781.jpg
184 KB, 640x427
So I started dating this Egyptology student who's studying ancient hieroglyphics through a linguistic perspective. Please fill me with info on the subject so I could impress her.
>>
>>1185582
Watch The Mummy. Everything you need to know right there.
>>
Not OP, but what is the best book about ancient Egypt? Or best books?
>>
File: image.png (538 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
538 KB, 640x1136
>>1185582
You come here, to 4chan, looking for info to impress someone on Ancient Egyptian Linguistics? Is your search engine broken?
>>
>>1185596
4chan is the best for dank memes though
>>
>>1185582
We don't know shit. Literally our knowledge of ancient Egyptian civilization hasn't improved that much since Champollion.
>>
File: mememagic.jpg (8 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
mememagic.jpg
8 KB, 271x186
See pic
>>
Just learn coptic desu senpai.
>>
File: guilty.jpg (6 KB, 222x251) Image search: [Google]
guilty.jpg
6 KB, 222x251
>>1185582

Tell her that it's impossible for such an old civ to have created such monumental structures without the help of ancient aliens.
>>
Why don't you just read the entire wiki on ancient Egypt?

That will give you a decent overview and much more knowledge than the average person.
>>
>>1186135
DELETE THIS
>>
Study up on the Amarna period. Its a very small, discrete, and well studied period that is very distinct from the others. You can impress her by actually knowing who Akhenaten is.
>>
>>1185582

Just gonna throw this out there. I made a detailed study of the Rhind Papyrus recently, which is an ancient Egyptian mathematical document from about the middle kingdom (possibly a bit later). The LaTeX formulas no longer render properly in the archive, but it is still available here:

https://warosu.org/sci/thread/8027713

My source was a 90-year-old secondary source, but the contemporary understanding of the document does not seem to have moved far from that point, since wiki's various treatments of topics /usually/ agree with this author (Chace).

I was more interested in the mathematical content of the document, but there is also a volume devoted entirely to photographic reproductions of the original, which I looked at several times. Specifically, it was written in the /HIERATIC SCRIPT/ (look this up), which is just a cursive form of hieroglyphs that was used to make writing faster, and look a bit more like our more modern, abstract glyphs (looking at it vaguely reminds me of Arabic).

Also, IIRC the glyphs can face either (one of two) ways on a document, a stone carving, etc. The direction that the glyphs face tells you where to start reading (or vice verse, I forget). Furthermore, we don't really how their vowels worked, so we literally fill in gaps with our own best guesses about vowel-forms (fact-check me on this, it's been a while).

>>1185594

Budge is a popular author who has written many books on all aspects of Egyptology, including the religion, a version of the Book of the Dead, and the Rosetta Stone itself. He is so popular, that contemporary Egyptologists apparently resent him and like to shit-talk him these days, a phenomenon that will be familiar to 4chan: whenever someone/something is popular or cool, it has to be reacted against.

Nowadays, Egyptologists like to say that there are like 9-10 periods of AEHist. When I first learned the topic in school, there were six: (old/mid/new/1st intm/2nd intm/predynastic).
>>
Or better yet, try this:

As I was going to the /nomes/*
I met a man with seven homes.
Every home had seven cats,
Every cat chased seven rats.
Each rat ate seven /spelt/*, a lot
A /spelt/ is also seven /hekat/*.

Cats, rats, spelt, hekat
and homes as well - what had he got?

(Egyptian planning districts, a variety of wheat, and a unit of volume, respectively).
>>
>>1189279
Amazing stuff
>>
>>1185582

Start with the sumerians
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.