[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best reads on Urban Development/Geography?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: YorkvillePromenadeAfter.jpg (858 KB, 1614x1029) Image search: [Google]
YorkvillePromenadeAfter.jpg
858 KB, 1614x1029
Best reads on Urban Development/Geography?
>>
Wikipedia
>>
>>1183583
http://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Community-Leon-Krier/dp/1597265799
>>
I read Life and Death of the Great American City.

All I got was mixed use zoning and lots of pedestrians.
>>
>>1183628
>All I got was mixed use zoning and lots of pedestrians.

That's a good idea though.
>>
>>1183583
Urban Development/Geography For Dummies.
>>
>>1183583

Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization
Book by Richard Sennett

makes me wet only thinking about it.
>>
>>1183609
>>1183628
>>1184104
Nice, thanks.
>>
Not David Harvey.
>>
Doing my Masters in Spatial Planning/Urbanism, from Britain

Whoever said not David Harvey is trolling, "A Brief History of Neoliberalism" is a fundamental textbook for understanding urbanism today (I say this as someone critical of his ideological position)

Some other authors that have been instrumental in basic understanding is Phil Allmendinger, Patsy Healey, Mark Tewdr-Jones. They've all been involved putting together essential textbooks

Personally I'm interested in conflict and city.
-Newman, Oscar - Creating Defensible Space
-Shirlow & Murtagh - Belfast Segregation, Violence and the City
-Nadel, Barbara A (2004) Building Security_ Handbook for Architectural Planning and Design
-Indivisible Territory and the Politics of Legitimacy - Jerusalem and Northern Ireland
-Cities, Change and Conflict - A Political Economy of Urban Life
>>
Arthur O'Sullivan - Urban Economics is worth a read. It's a textbook, so it's a little on the dry side, but very informative.
>>
>>1186153
I'll give Harvey a chance. Not big on Marxism, personally, but I'm familiar with it.
>>
Granite Garden by Ann Spirn is a great intro to modern, sustainable urban planning. Whats scary about this book is it was written in the 1980s and people STILL haven't come up with a better solution than her.
>>
>>1183583
>>
>>1183583
The book of the prophet Nahum.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.