[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was indiscriminate street rape, murder and violence really that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
Was indiscriminate street rape, murder and violence really that common during the Middle Ages and more ancient times?
>>
During warfare, yes.

Otherwise, everyone would operate in fairly tight communities to avoid getting killed.

Things still happened, but I wouldn't really want to be a criminal in medieval Europe.

Seems like bad things are likely to happen.
>>
No.
>>
>>1182211
>I wouldn't really want to be a criminal in medieval Europe.
you could have a pretty good run as a bandit depending on the area
>>
>>1182203
No, it was never common ever in any society. It had a high murder rate by today's standards yes, but it wasn't an all out bloodbath. Most 3rd world countries are safer nowadays than 1st world countries were a mere 2 centuries ago.
>>
for robbing a church, the usual punishment was to be skinned alive by the local butcher
>>
>>1182263
but why would someone feel the need to rob a church in the first place?
>>
>>1182283
cause churches are rich and more poorly protected than other rich places
>>
>>1182283
The only place with money
>>
>>1182203
It was less than the era that preceded it (Migration era) for many people and less than the era that came after it (Religious wars)
>>
File: mmmmmmonsterkill.png (69 KB, 492x187) Image search: [Google]
mmmmmmonsterkill.png
69 KB, 492x187
>>1182305
Though drunks will be drunks
>>
>>1182283
gold in ornaments and vaults full of gold
>>
>>1182296
but why would people want to steal money? were they poor?
>>
>>1182203
>that common

HOW common? Compared to the present day, every age was extremely violent.
>>
>>1182340
Very nice
>>
>>1182258

nyc and london 200 years ago were third world not first world
>>
>>1182386
You don't know what third world means do you?
>>
>>1182203
It's a pretty big thing in the bible, so i guess that was constantly on people's minds.
>>
>>1182263
That's bullshit
>>
>>1182340
kek'd
>>
>>1182386

Are you going by the retard definition of "third world" or the real, accepted, and correct version? If the former, you're an idiot.
>>
>>1182258
Interesting you brought up Stockholm, I recently went on a guided tour that talked a bit about crime there in the Middle Ages.
>>
>>1182263
No it wasn't.
>>
Crime was astronomically higher in medieval times compared to now
>>
>>1186519
yeah everyone like killed everyone all the time and all the marriages were rapes and the lords killed their peasants Kim jong un style n shiet
>>
>>1186528
>moron buttblasted that his shire fantasy don't real
>that strawman

Get over it
>>
Muh bootstraps
>>
>>1182258
>that spike in 2000
Gee, I wonder what could've happened that would've caused that.
>>
>>1186528
please stop you retard
>>
File: 1442793103230.jpg (367 KB, 1600x898) Image search: [Google]
1442793103230.jpg
367 KB, 1600x898
>>1182203
rape is a just a word tacked onto a bad social construct
>>
>>1189493
Whats this from? those people look familiar.
>>
>>1182211
>Not knowing Machiavelli wrote never to rape or to take the woman of the enemy you conquer and expect to be a vassal state or subordinate.

It is the mark of an oafish man to do so and fills the conquered with an anger that brings swift and horrible retribution.

>Mfw admire Machiavelli but also admire the Great Genghis Khan, conquered of the world who revelled in the bosom of the woman of those he conquered.
>>
>>1182235
Until you were caught. Bandits rarely were bandits just because.
>>
>>1189530
>Not knowing Machiavelli wrote never to rape or to take the woman of the enemy you conquer and expect to be a vassal state or subordinate.

Anon he wrote it because there was people doing it.
>>
>>1189556
And so it will be again as it always has been.

Thousands of women will be ravaged in some part of the world always will be and it will incense the husbands/brothers/relatives of those women.
>>
>>1182203
Indiscriminate, no. But folks killing each other was much more common than it is now.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.