[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You wake up in Detroit in 1918. What do you do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 4a25701a.jpg (1 MB, 3500x2797) Image search: [Google]
4a25701a.jpg
1 MB, 3500x2797
You wake up in Detroit in 1918. What do you do?
>>
>>1178944
Wake up with what?
If I have my money, invest HEAVILY in Ford.
>>
>>1178948
/thread
>>
>>1178944
Go to Dearborn and make a good life.
>>
go to new york
>>
Enlist.

Seriously though, probably go try and kill Hitler like all the other plebs.

Maybe pretend to be a leftist hippie journalist and try to get within icepick range of Stalin.

Also, try and use what I remember of Keynesian economics to take some of the sting out of the Great Depression.
>>
>>1179009
Really, if you had just let black people have places to drink without the police coming in then...

Well, the city probably would have fallen apart without the race riots.

Also, if I run around screaming "beware the Japanese" I'd probably get arrested for sedition because they're part of the Entente, but I'd get to be right about two different historical events.

Three if you count anime.
>>
>>1179009
Blacks weren't exactly the problem. Bad trade deals, strengthening of unions, the reliance on the auto industry, and White Flight (aka the rich leaving the city because of the poor (aka the whites leaving because of the blacks)) were the problem.
>>
Well, we'd be five years into moving assembly line mass production of cars, so we would not be able to do too much damage.
>>
>>1178944
Get on a train to New York and quietly do away with FDR before he enters into politics.
>>
>>1178948
>invest HEAVILY in Ford.

If this were 1908, I would agree (year Model T is 1st built); however, 1918 was close to Ford's peak overall and during the 1920s, GM got the upper hand with newer, more stylish models and has remained ahead of Ford ever since.

I love Ford more than GM, but from a pragmatic standpoint, you would get more return on your investment with GM at this time.
>>
>>1179050
>White flight
So blacks are incapable of building functioning societies without whites? Seems racist desu
>>
OP should have made a rule that you cannot travel more than 20 miles from downtown. Half the posts so far are about immediately venturing off to other places (i.e.: missing the whole point of the thread).
>>
>>1179112
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
>>
>>1179095
*tips fedora*
>>
>>1179121
Poor societies can't function without rich. Blacks were generally poorer and whites were generally relatively rich.
>>
>>1179095
How?

Aside from the fact that Roosevelt spent much of 1918 abroad inspecting American naval facilities, he was Assistant Secretary to the Navy and a very rich man besides. You'd have a hell of a time assassinating him at all, let alone doing it quietly.
>>
>>1179115
He should have.

>>1178944
If I have time (and I can figure out how to attract the attention of the folks in charge) I prep the city to resist the Spanish Flu that hits in October. Then I invest in industry and get rich.
>>
File: henry-ford-1-638.jpg (101 KB, 638x448) Image search: [Google]
henry-ford-1-638.jpg
101 KB, 638x448
>>1179121
>Soo...blacks can't function without whites?

The Black people who came to work in Detroit factories were poor for generations, had middle class wages for a few decades, and then went back to being poor after all of the factories closed.

Basically, the whole larger concept of high-paying blue collar jobs was a 20th Century fluke that disappeared as quickly as it arrived. It was all based on the philosophy of Fordism (blue collar workers should do a set job on an assembly line and get paid enough to buy the stuff he helped make), and when its creator died (you know who), that sense of idealism died with him.

So, it's not that Blacks can't function without Whites, but it does help if those in power (most of which happen to be White) give them real opportunities to become valuable members of society, and it does not help when those same people in power do the Indian Giver thing and take those opportunities away from them.
>>
>>1178944
Wait a second thats what Detroit looks like with no black majority?

Wow holy shit I thought those racist on /pol/ were full of shit but they really were right about blacks ruining settlements in the USA.
>>
>>1179177
read the thread
>>
>>1179177
Black people don't ruin things; POOR people ruin things, and you don't have to be a Basketball-American to be poor.
>>
File: 1460432035543.png (46 KB, 572x685) Image search: [Google]
1460432035543.png
46 KB, 572x685
>>1179183
>Africa has a crapton of natural resources, the blacks should be loaded so its their incompetence that explains their terrible economies.
It doesn't work like that at all, anon. I hope you're joking.
>>
>>1179183
Weren't there indeed some rich African kingdoms, who profited from raw materials and also the slave trade?
>>
Invest in J.P Morgan, Tesla and General Electric.
>>
>>1179200
>But white poor areas dont have the crime rates of black ones.

Yeah, because poor Whites tend to live in more sparsely-populated areas. Look up stats in terms of per capita and I'll be you they will be similar for both poor Black areas and poor White areas. I don't think I need to mention the trailer trash meth lab meme, do I?
>>
Hey faggots, we have an entire board dedicated for you to discuss this on >>>/pol/
>>
>>1179211
This thread wasn't about racial inferiority until a /pol/ack brought it up and then doubled-down
>>
>>1179210
But why do blacks still have higher crime rates though if poor white people have lower rates than them?
>>
>>1179217
Are you actually retarded?
>because poor Whites tend to live in more sparsely-populated areas. Look up stats in terms of per capita and I'll be you they will be similar for both poor Black areas and poor White areas. I don't think I need to mention the trailer trash meth lab meme, do I?
>>
>>1179217
Being in more densely-populated areas = more challenging to police = more opportunities to commit crime = easier to hide from authorities (like in the shadows, 'cause...you know...).
>>
>>1179177
A black majority is like a coral reef.

It can only form under a specific set of circumstances.

>wealthy community crops up
>black people move in looking to get a leg up in the service industry
>economic or social unrest happens
>upper and middle class people, who are usually white, have the financial means to move away and start a new life elsewhere
>poor people, who are usually black, don't
>city is now composed of all poor people, with no actual industry for them to work in
>public finances collapse

This has also happened in places like Gary, Indiana and St Louis.

For there to be a majority black city in a country where only 11% of the population is black, things have to really go wrong.
>>
>>1179223
How about providing a source? Surely it should be an easy thing to do.
>>
>>1179224
But the black crime rates are still ridiculous compared to poor white ones in the city.
>>
>>1179227
Na, the guy who made the original claim can do that. You can believe what you want to believe
Can we go back to the thread topic now?
>>
>>1179230
Cities=/=Ghettos
>>
File: ty-cobb-loc.jpg (46 KB, 550x461) Image search: [Google]
ty-cobb-loc.jpg
46 KB, 550x461
>>1178944
Fuck yeah. I'd check the paper and see if the Tigers are playing a home game so I can see TY FUCKING COBB.
>>
>>1179244
Lolwut
Now you're just making shit up.
>>
>>1179249
Bonus points if Cobb is sliding into home and gives the catcher the old-spiked-shoe-in-the-neck.
>>
>>1179265
What part specifically?
That growing up poor in ghettos is different from growning up poor surrounded by middle class people? Or that black people were into ghettos through things like section 8 housing?
>>
>>1179223
>stats in terms of per capita

>Morgantown Kentucky (10th poorest in the nation), 95% white

Murder rate: 0 per 100k people

>Detroit, Michigan, 89% black

Murder rate: 45
>>
>>1178944
Work hard to earn a few hundred bucks and then get down to Texas and buy some land and get to drilling oil.
>>
>>1179312
Can you provide a black city that isnt a ghetto?
Here's one http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Dixmoor-Illinois.html
>>
>>1179358
>27 murder rate

Sorry m8 that's 3rd world tier
>>
>>1179312
There's ~2,400 people in Morgantown, Kentucky and ~680,000 in Detroit. Logically, given they are both poor, everything is going to be on a bigger scale in Detroit including murders in terms of totals, but not in terms of per capita figures.

I am going to base the following on the idea that the 45 figure you posted means "45 murders per 100,000 ppl." That equates to 306 total murders per year for Detroit and...(wait for it)...one murder for every 2,200 people, which is comparable to the total population for Morgantown, Kentucky. That means that if everything in Detroit was scaled down to the size of Morgantown, it would have one single murder each year. Zero murders per year compared to one murder per year: not a significant difference.

Consider your argument debunked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgantown,_Kentucky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit
>>
ITT: /pol/ getting destroyed left and right
Never give up the good fight /his/torians
>>
>>1178944
Invest a quarter of my money in GM. A quarter of my money in RCA. Use the rest of my money to move to Los Angeles. Live fruitfully off dividend checks.

>>1178978
>Enlist
If you enlist in WWI, you won't see combat. You'll be far too old to enlist in WWII.
>>
>>1179290
I doubt I'll be able to tell that from that day's newspaper though.
>>
File: 3g11539u-1177.jpg (68 KB, 600x810) Image search: [Google]
3g11539u-1177.jpg
68 KB, 600x810
>>1178944
Get to Germany asap and do everything I can to help the Germans
>>
>>1179408
Faggot
>>
>>1178944
Get together a group of people and go to Russia to kill Joseph Stalin.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.