[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>trying to look up how american accents have changed over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: 1444824068707.jpg (4 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1444824068707.jpg
4 KB, 250x240
>trying to look up how american accents have changed over generations
>every result is either about that fake "trans-atlantic" accent or the "le americans speak original english" maymay
>>
Well white people in the south used to speak like niggers do now, the Ebonics shit. Blacks were the only ones that retained it.
>>
>>1178542
>"le americans speak original english" maymay
This true though
>>
It amazed me when I first learned that Quebec French is basically the same French that they were speaking in France in the 17th century. France moved on, Quebec stayed the same.

Imagining an English parallel, that must be like somebody coming up to you and speaking basically Elizabethan era English.
>>
>>1178584
>americans live in the past
>>
File: Jamaal-Uddin-Gingertard.jpg (50 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
Jamaal-Uddin-Gingertard.jpg
50 KB, 615x409
>>1178596
>British future
>>
>>1178542
what is the trans-atlantic accent?
>>
>>1178596
From people who still have a King and hereditary members of the Parliament
>>
>>1178584
explain
>>
>>1178557
[citation needed]
>>
>>1178557
WEEE WOOO WEEE WOO BULLSHIT ALARM
>>
>>1178604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TgooL8hhrA

start at 2:25
>>
>>1178591
That is false and not how language work.

If someone tells you "X dialect is an archaic version of Y dialect" it is 100% of the time untrue.
>>
>>1178604
think slick rick
>>
>>1178828
No, it's correct. The speech patterns like "we is" instead or "we are", "ax" instead of "ask" or ommitting the "to be" entirely are all southern and originally from the British isles, mostly Scotland and Ulster. I mean it's hardly surprising since the niggers were learning English primarily from southerners.

I mean stuff like this: https://youtu.be/Q3eTSbC3neA?t=1m27s
>>
>>1178542
>"le americans speak original english" maymay
They didn't literally speak Anglo-Saxon, but in terms of accent the English accent you see today as on TV was something that came about over the course of the 18th and 19th century.
>>
While Americans definitely don't speak "original" English, it's more similar to original English than modern English is. I mean consider how Americans pronounce tube as "toob" while Brits pronounce it as "chewb", the latter being completely un-Germanic.
>>
>>1178832
Literally the greatest movie ever
>>
>>1178904
?
>>
>>1178674

In almost all cases, Americans pronounce the words as written. As the written word became standardized, it reflected the language as spoken.

Ask someone from the UK to pronounce "river"... the last R is dropped. An American will pronounce the final R. This is true of just about all phonemes.

One of the few exceptions is with some words that contain (but don't start with) T. Brits will almost always pronounce the T as a T. Depending on what phonemes surround the T, Americans might pronounce the T as a D.

It's why, to other Anglo ears, American English sounds awkward. Like they're exaggerating, overenunciating.
>>
>>1178900
it's tyoob

chewb is an australianism
>>
>>1178917
as a non-american i don't think american english is exactly awkward. the 'r's just sound overpronounced.
>>
>>1178844
>If someone tells you "X dialect is an archaic version of Y dialect" it is 100% of the time untrue.

Ok, but would you disagree with the notion that "X dialect more closely parallels the archaic form of Y language than Z dialect"?
>>
>>1178917
there are pockets of rhotic accents in the uk
also australians often pronounce 't's as 'd's, they are always nonrhotic.
>>
>>1178926

I am guessing that you learned English from someone from the UK, or from someone who learned English from someone from the UK... it sounds overpronounced because it is pronounced at all, rather than dropped.

If you hear someone actually pronounce the final R in "river" as a clear "R" ... I'm guessing that it would sound overpronounced to you.
>>
>>1178917
Not all British accents are non-rhotic.
>>
>>1178938
>there are pockets of rhotic accents in the uk

True dat, I'm just generalizing based on what is most commonly heard around the world.

>also australians often pronounce 't's as 'd's, they are always nonrhotic.

I did not know this. Innaresting.
>>
>>1178939
the r is not always dropped, it is generally pronounced as a h sound.

river is rivuh
not rivee

one of the interesting things is linking r
far is fah by itself, but
far away is fah-raway
>>
File: 1429148276812.jpg (8 KB, 183x182) Image search: [Google]
1429148276812.jpg
8 KB, 183x182
>tfw "mondee" and "warsh" will die with your grandparents' generation
>>
>>1178959
what is warsh?
>>
>>1178966
Wash
>>
>>1178917
how did americans turn dog into dawg?
>>
>>1178952
>far is fah by itself, but
>far away is fah-raway

Aye, connected speech. If a vowel follows the dropped R, it'll get pronounced.
>>
>>1178976

That's a Southern/"urban slang" thang.
>>
are there still non-rhotic accents in america? boston? deep south?
>>
>>1178985

Yes, and yes. In the South, it's especially prevalent among the older generations. In Yankee territory, there are pockets here and there. Mostly in the sticks, but yes, it's alive and well in Boston. You know... "pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd," haw haw haw.
>>
A-LOO-MINI-UMM
>>
>>1178985
Having spent most of my life in Maine, Virginia, and Lousiana, I can confirm that this is still very common.
>>
>>1179012
>cah in

cah-r-in*

>>1179030
>aloominum

>>1179034
great. why is it so localised?
>>
>>1178927
Eeeh, kinda. The more accurate version would be something more along the lines of "Dialect X has some archaic features from Language Y that Dialect Z lacks, without making it any closer to Language Y, because Dialect Z also has some archaisms (different from those of Dialect X)"
>>
>>1179062
>>1179030
>>1179012
>>1178977
>>1178952
>>1178918
>>1178917
>>1178900

Why isn't "not using the IPA" a bannable offense yet?
>>
>>1179103
>offense
>>
>>1179062
I think it's due to Scottish and Irish accents having the same rhotacism.

It tends to be either a southern thing or a New England thing.

Always more common in the countryside than in the cities, and more common among the old than the young.
>>
>>1178868
>cites anti racism bullshit fellation movie
lmfao
>>
>>1179256
I posted a video, I didn't "cite".
>>
>>1179103
>offense
that's easily a bannable offence
>>
>>1178917
No one pronounces English how its written except people who lived in the 15th century.
>>
>>1178868
I'm Scottish and this is bullshit.
>we is
Only an American can make up this nonsense.
>>
Not sure what the point or argument is here. English, wherever you speak it, has changed over time with external influence. You would not even recognize 10th century English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf#/media/File:Beowulf_Cotton_MS_Vitellius_A_XV_f._132r.jpg

You'd have trouble reading 14th century english.
" 'Wepyng and waylyng, care and oother sorwe
I knowe ynogh, on even and a-morwe,'
Quod the Marchant, 'and so doon oother mo
That wedded been"

18th century English was a messed up scattering of unnecessary consonants.

Stuff just changes over time.
>>
>>1178900
> the latter being completely un-Germanic
Old English did something very similar.

It's why we say 'cheese' and 'keese' like German 'Käse' and Dutch 'kaas'
>>
>>1179074
you are too universal here
contrast modern Icelandic and modern Norwegian
while a vowel or too is more similar in Norwegian than Icelandic to Old Norse you'd have to fall over yourself on purpose to deny suggest Icelandic is a lot, lot more similar than Norwegian is
>>
is it true that in shakespeare's time everyone spoke like hagrid from harry potter, and that's why his stuff only rhymes when read in that accent?
>>
>>1181149
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
>>
>>1180465
People overestimate the conservativeness of modern Icelandic. I mean, sure they can read the old sagas with some effort, but the spoken language has changed a lot in 1000 years.
>>
>>1178959
I've heard people in the east coast pronounce wash as "worsh"
>>
>>1178888
No
>>
>>1181935
Relative to pretty much every other language except for the other scandi ones, that's insane. Even other relatively insulated cultures, like the japs, have trouble going back more than a couple hundred years.
>>
Generally speaking, you'll run in to two camps of faggotry in your research. The first being those faggots who say "the american accent is le combination of all immigrant accents, truly a multicultural dream hurr durr etc." The second group is the one you mentioned in your post, "hurr we wuz shakespeare n sheeeit." Be especially wary of the first group.

The truth is that the American accent, outside of places like New York, is mainly a descendant of North England and Ulster Scots English. True, it has preserved certain features of early modern English, such as harsh vowels, but it has also lost many of them. Most of the differences between American and British English are merely the result of separation, separate evolutions.

>>1180058
>Only an American can make up this nonsense.
You're the only group of native speaker with grammar as poor as that of our blacks.
You're known here for speaking English weee' deefeeculty
>>
>>1183249
>poor grammar

There is no such things.
>>
>>1179103
Because it's a Reddit tier meme
>>
>>1180429

I wonder if the Spanish Queso is taken from Käse
>>
>>1183249
The fuck do you mean "harsh" vowels?
>>
>>1183590
It's from Latin caseus. The word was also borrowed into Proto-Germanic.
>>
>>1183591
The flat a, some English accents still have it as well.
>>
>>1183565
Accurate phonetic transcriptions are a meme?
>>
>>1183684
Complicated shit nobody cares about is a meme

>when Wikipedia tries to tell you how to pronounce a word and it gives you garbled characters like your browser is malfunctioning and expecting you to know what the fuck they're on about instead of just sounding it out
>>
>>1183757
Just learn how to read it you fucking mongoloid instead of writing inaccurate shit no one except you understands.
>>
>>1183757
Differences between accents are quite complicated and subtle. Plus English ortography is complete nonsense, so using it to demonstrate the pronunciation of words is basically impossible.
>>
>>1183249
>You're known here for speaking English weee' deefeeculty
That's fine, as most Americans have never left their state nevermind travel to Scotland. The stereotypes of Americans being as thick as rocks is a worldwide stereotype.
>>
>>1178868

None of that is true. Maybe for the more uneducated I could see it, but the average southerner and above simply has an accent.

We are not and were not retarded niggers.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.