[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Emotionality through history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: aisthima.jpg (75 KB, 547x432) Image search: [Google]
aisthima.jpg
75 KB, 547x432
Hey guys, tell me everything you know about how have the views on expressing emotions changed through history, and how is it connected with different cultures
>>
As life gets easier character gives way to personality. So your traditional 'self-improvement' suppression of emotions is replaced by the more natural defense of personality disorder traits, particularly class b and c depending. We're really in the dark ages of self-awareness. Remember, just 50 years ago homosexuality was in the DSM.
>>
>>1175474

it varies greatly, by culture, mentality, education, class, religion...

if anything people used to be way more emotional, or temperamental, and there was much less detachment from this, in many cultures the notion seemed nonexistent

another thing is culture and education give people a capacity to selfreflect, which was a religious thing for most of history

like if you look at many poor or undreveloped cultures today the people often dont seem to make a conscious distinction betveen what emotional state they experience and what thought process relating to perception or decision making they are running, in fact mediterran women still cant do this without antipsychotics, regardless of education(cant sourse that, just trust me)

on the other hand some peoples were always known to be calculating, detached or cold, its mostly a question of group mentality and how it conditions individuals
>>
>>1175508
Nothing wrong with being a homosexual though.
>>
Seems ancient Greeks and Romans were ridiculously theatrical compared to us.

They'd use very specific hand gestures to accentuate what they said, and would get very dramatic in their speeches. For instance in the speech to his troops before crossing the Rubicon, Caesar most likely did a whole performance with crying and tearing at his clothes and shit.

Then of course there are major differences even today, for instance in America it's normal for leaders to cry on television, which would be considered ridiculous in Europe.
>>
>>1175596
>for instance in America it's normal for leaders to cry on television, which would be considered ridiculous in Europe.

it would be considered a sign of mental disfunction, you dont openly cry here unless your whole family died or the football team lost the cup to judge error
but in the same way, being explicitly angry, threatening or offensive is seen as a question of pure every day rethoric, in usa i assume youd get kicked out of office, might be wrong with trump

the thing with hand gestures and theatrics is that they seem to be highly effective tho, specialy since theres no mass media so the body and voice is all that makes the impact

hand gestures especialy seem to connect directly to certain brain centers since the linguistic and motoric parts are quite related, which is why people gesticulate so much
>>
>>1175570
Anyone else have literally no idea what he's talking about?
>>
>>1175596
Hooooooooooooooorrseshit. Romans valued stoical detachment, especially in public speaking - imperium and virtus was strongly linked to a sense of majesty and gravitas. The hand-gestures yes, to an extent (read cicero) - though I'd query to what extent they were used outside of the courts. Possibly.

The only crying thing I can really think of is the troops with Germanicus, when he was taking his son Calligula away from them and they wept - but again, this is the troops, not the commander - and it's a very emotionally charged event, where they're being told that they can;t be tursted to take care of the child they loved.
>>
>>1175596
One thing that struck me was the grieving widows/mothers who were always clawing at their face or "tearing at their breast" or whatever in Greco-Roman stories. I have seen that behavior in third world countries, but I've never encountered it in the modern West. It's considered strange and overdramatic even in fiction.
>>
>>1175711

Southern Italians are still pretty theatrical, as are Mediterranean latins and Greeks in general.

Italian is very lyrical and lends itself to hand gestures and other non verbal cues. If you listen to Italians, even if you don't understand the language, you soon realise that every sentence rises and falls and has a definite end rather that the simple cessation of words of other, less mellifluous languages.
>>
File: HIgh functional batshit crazy.png (508 KB, 732x1080) Image search: [Google]
HIgh functional batshit crazy.png
508 KB, 732x1080
>>1175508
>>1175508
So you are okay with living like a machine? Or does it come naturally to you too and you have no choice?
>Taking the DSMs ever seriously, when they literally come out of a jew american enterprise company
>Taking DSM seriously after V coming out
>>
Love was invented by De Beers to sold diamonds.
>>
>>1175642
I think he's saying that until recently, people were mostly emotionally retarded, and underdeveloped countries still are. Except sometimes they aren't because reasons. Pretty shitty post in general.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.