[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that "Great" Britain gave Hong Kong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: 1365562370.png (818 KB, 526x671) Image search: [Google]
1365562370.png
818 KB, 526x671
Daily reminder that "Great" Britain gave Hong Kong back to China like a little bitch.

> The Foreign Office proposed a counter-strategy founded upon a distinction between 'sovereignty' and 'administration'. It suggested that Thatcher aim to reach an agreement with China whereby Britain would cede a titular sovereignty over Hong Kong to Peking, in exchange for Peking's formal agreement **to allow British administration to remain in place in Hong Kong beyond 1997.** Thatcher eventually digested the proposal in principle **more easily** than the Foreign Office had feared

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/how-mrs-thatcher-lost-hong-kong-ten-years-ago-fired-up-by-her-triumph-in-the-falklands-war-margaret-thatcher-flew-to-peking-for-a-lastditch-attempt-to-keep-hong-kong-under-british-rule--only-to-meet-her-match-in-deng-xiaoping-two-years-later-she-signed-the-agreement-handing-the-territory-to-china-1543375.html

> Thatcher later said that Deng told her bluntly that China could easily take Hong Kong by force, stating that "I could walk in and take the whole lot this afternoon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_of_sovereignty_over_Hong_Kong#Talks

> Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping tells her that sovereignty is not negotiable and China will take back Hong Kong on its own terms in 1997 no matter whether UK agrees or not.

> Mrs Thatcher falls off steps after talks with Chinese leader on Hong Kong issue

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ecd_1365482566

> On the rainy July night in 1997, Thatcher was present for the formal transfer of sovereignty of Hong Kong back to China, an outcome which Thatcher expressed regret over towards the end of her life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1554095/My-regrets-over-Hong-Kong-by-Lady-Thatcher.html
>>
>perfidious albion eternal anglo
>hands over Hong-Kong because they agreed to
>>
>>1175065
If GB had kept Hong Kong, then China would have easily made them look like even more of a little bitch.
>>
>>1175362
Bullshit, UK is a nucleair power allied with France and the US. China wouldn't do shit.
>>
Stay mad, butt mad chink

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 625x541) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 625x541
>>1175065
>>1175362
>>1175375
Hong Kong was a rental property and the lease was up.
>>
>>1175065
I feel really bad for hong kongians. I've talked to mainland chinese and they feel people from HK "owe" them something. Typical collectivist bullshit.
We will see the decadence of HK within our lifetime
>>
>>1175065
Hong Kong was leased for 99 years.

It would have been dishonourable to break the agreement.
>>
>>1175375
So? China is a Nuclear power too. Uk, France, US wouldn't do shit
>>
We should have given it to Taiwan.
>>
Typical weak woman trying to do a man's job, donald trump or stalin would have told that chink they would drop a nuclear payload on them and to stop wearing pajmas
>>
>>1175387
My school had lots of Chinese from Hong Kong. They didn't consider themselves Chinese.
>>
Hong Kong is getting what they deserve by not demanding to stay with us at the time. In 50 years they'll have been absorbed into the enslaved mass that makes up mainland Chinese society.
>>
>>1175480
I love how everyone is already so familiar with Donald Trump's ability as a head of state despite him never holding the office of so much as a postman
Because countries are no different than businesses, right?
>>
>>1175345
It wasn't agreed to at all. Hong Kong itself was British indefinitely, only the outlying territories were on lease. Britain just handed over its own territory to China like a little bitch.
>>
Britain also gave the Suez Canal to Egypt like a little bitch.

No wonder Argentina thought it could just pick up the Falklands, by then Britain was known as a complete beta pushover. I guess Thatcher just snapped at that point.
>>
>>1175691
If this is beta behavior then wouldnt this make Russia the biggest cuck on the planet? I cant think of a nation that has given up more landmass.
>>
>>1175696
You mean in 1917? Yes that was an extremely pathetic surrender, but they got it back after, and at least it came after years of war, not just pissing your pants when China looks in your direction.
>>
>>1175689
Absolutely not. The treaty said HK was to be given back.
>>
>>1175702
No im thinkng their whole history. They sold Alaska for similar reason Britain didnt bother to keep Hong Kong. WW1 and the end of the cold war are similar cases I guess. Im not familiar with chinas history but i dont think it has lost as much land as Russia.
>>
>>1175362
Same as they did with Taiwan right?
>>
>>1175709
HK was extremely profitable though while Alaska was literally who: the land. It was decades before they discovered gold and oil in there.
>>
>>1175696
Yeah, the collapse of the USSR was the greatest pushover move in history and it's not like they even had to do it. Gorbachev was just too beta.
>>
>>1175706
No, it only applied to the outer districts, not the island itself.

Look it up and stop lying.
>>
>>1175709
Selling unprofitable empty land, and autonomous regions voting for independence is not at all the same as giving away an extremely wealthy city against its people's own will to a foreign power just because that power threatens you with violence.
>>
>>1175768
How would defending Hong Kong profit Britain? How much profit it provides is irelevant if the profit lost defending it makes it pointless.
>>
China could've shut off the water to HK whenever they wanted and HK would've been on it's knees, the handover was the only way possible
>>
>>1175767
That is basically the same thing you idiot, HK simply cannot survive without the outer districts. Do you even realize what HK looks like ?
>>
>>1175685
Just you wait until he runs the US into the ground and sells it for profit multiple times.
He'll make America great again.
>>
File: usury.png (231 KB, 278x380) Image search: [Google]
usury.png
231 KB, 278x380
>gives profitable bit of land in asia to chinks
>STILL refuses to gib clay in Norn Iron
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>1175378

> British Empire: Oh you want us to fuck off? Hahahahah make us you stupid chink.

> Britain a century later: Oh you want us to fuck off and hand you a world class city we built on a platter? Well I guess we better start packing!

Oh how the mighty have fallen...
>>
>>1175882
>>1175890
>>1175898
?
>>
>>1175882
>>1175890
>>1175898
>Waaaah no one replied to my perfectly memed post
>I know, I'll make it even better !
>>
>>1175897
The best Ireland can do is to get Americans to fund terrorists to buy weapons from Colonel Gaddafi, China has the economic and military strength to fuck people up.

Besides, the majority of people in Northern Ireland want to stay in Britain and when that changes it will go to Ireland.
>>
>>1175910
So? Majority of Hong Cucks wanted Brits to stay.
>>
>>1175923
False.

Hong Kong wanted to be independent. Singapore style. Or at least linked with the cunts in Taiwank.
>>
File: _61189488_52010118.jpg (126 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
_61189488_52010118.jpg
126 KB, 976x549
>>1175900
>>1175902

Yeah but you know what you can't make changes to? Reality.
>>
Anti British shitposting is so pathetic
>>
File: Acquisition_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png (124 KB, 1264x922) Image search: [Google]
Acquisition_of_Hong_Kong.svg.png
124 KB, 1264x922
>>1175386
>>1175444

> Although Hong Kong Island and Kowloon had been ceded to the United Kingdom in perpetuity, the control on the New Territories was a 99-year lease. The finite nature of the 99-year lease did not hinder Hong Kong's development as the New Territories were combined as a part of Hong Kong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_of_sovereignty_over_Hong_Kong#Overview
>>
File: Screen-Shot-Laughing-Audience3.jpg (130 KB, 444x303) Image search: [Google]
Screen-Shot-Laughing-Audience3.jpg
130 KB, 444x303
>>1175971

> instead of talking about modern HK history I am going to tell everyone how butthurt I am!

You do realise if you don't like a thread you can just ignore it right?
>>
>>1175988
>obvious bait thread started in bad faith

>its about the history bro
>>
>>1175999

You are literally like a Jew who goes into a holocaust thread just to complain about how "anti-semitic" the discussion is.
>>
>>1175910
and the majority of Ireland wanted Ireland to leave Britain
>>
>>1176013
After a collected assortment of faggots got people killed on purpose during war time to change public opinion.
>>
>>1175973
And like many people already stated in this thread, HK simply can not survive without its outer territories.

That is where basically all its food and water comes from.
>>
>>1176017
Ireland voted for home rule before WW1, bro.
>>
>>1176017
you think just because people didn't support an armed uprising to achieve independence that they didn't want independence at all?
they wanted it democratically but it was obvious post-1916 that Home Rule wouldn't achieve them much
>>
>>1175493
They aren't Chinese. They're what Chinese people should be.
>>
File: 1406919325789.jpg (42 KB, 337x355) Image search: [Google]
1406919325789.jpg
42 KB, 337x355
>>1175065
>getting involved in a land war in asia
>>
>>1176046
>Le land war in Asia epik maymay XD
>>
>>1176046

The last time Western fought in China, the summer palace got burned to ash
>>
>>1176031
You think you can force a nationality onto someone just like the British did to you, you clearly don't care about what people actually want.
>>
File: pc-1952-002.jpg (95 KB, 580x427) Image search: [Google]
pc-1952-002.jpg
95 KB, 580x427
>>1176050

Actually the last time the West fought against China they got pushed out of North Korea by a bunch of Chinese equipped with nerf guns.
>>
>>1175375
Are you seriously saying that the UK would beat China in an all-out war?

World opinion was against them, and so was the legality of their original treaty. The time had passed.
>>
>>1175726
>America's navy is as weak as the UK's
>>
>>1175387
>they feel people from HK "owe" them something.

Sounds like you're bullshitting

>>1175493
It's about 50/50.

The ones I know say they are Hong Kongers first and Chinese second.
>>
>>1175767
Oh and you think HK island will function without the outlying territories?

The Chinese would have shut off the tap and HK would have crashed.
>>
>>1175923
False

Hipster Hong Cucks want the Brits back because "muh democracy", but they forget that HK was not a democracy under British rule either. It was a crown colony.
>>
>>1176050
Actually, the last time Westerners fought China it was a stalemate, and in Vietnam they lost.
>>
>>1176310
>Sounds like you're bullshitting

I wish I was. The new generation of mainland chinese are really entitled and arrogant.
>>
>>1176322
I was talking of 90's Hong Kong you idjit. Not today's Hong Cucks.
>>
>>1176057
>WE B OPPRESSED
fuck off, Northern Ireland has the same to be separate from Ireland as Armagh and Tyrone do
>>
>>1176064
China is the one that got pushed out of south korea chink
>>
>>1176300
We've already beaten China twice in war.

Being outnumbered and outgunned by them in both occasions.

So you keep your whore mouth shut.
>>
>>1176690
>Seriously comparing late-Qing China with Deng's China
>Seriously comparing late XIX British empire with 90's British empire.
>>
>>1175973
Is there any other country that spends this much time rewriting history like Britain does?

Brits literally don't even know about this. They were all told that all of Hong Kong was on a 99 year lease to hide how much of a pathetically shameful surrender this was.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.