[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /his/ opinion on Effective altruism? >Effect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1457493264944.jpg (50 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
1457493264944.jpg
50 KB, 500x672
What's /his/ opinion on Effective altruism?

>Effective altruism is a philosophy and social movement that applies evidence and reason to determining the most effective ways to improve the world.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Effective_altruism

Basically, Effective altruism is the no bullshit-attitude toward charity. Doing volunteer work at a dog shelter, for example, may feel fluffy and fine and Instagram-friendly, but it's less reasonable than taking a job in finance, making the $$$ and donating it to well-thought-out causes if it's true altruism you're after.
Effective altruism can be considered from everything to choosing charity organizations, to choosing lifestyle and career (as the example above), or to even world politics.
>>
>>1173809
Isn't this just utilitarianism?
>>
>>1173833
No
>>
The topic of effective altruism deserves a better OP than some young stalin meme.
>>
>>1173809
I read that as Effective autism.
>>
>>1173974
>this pretension
Wow.
>>
>>1174226
He's right. That isn't a particularly pretentious post, either.
>>
>>1173903
But it is?

>determining the most effective ways to improve the world.
> considered from everything to choosing charity organizations

???
>>
File: b9fa88fb_fb.xxxlarge.jpg (74 KB, 1024x535) Image search: [Google]
b9fa88fb_fb.xxxlarge.jpg
74 KB, 1024x535
>>1173809
Wow, didn't know one direction paki was le commie
>>
>>1173809
Any charity that isn't from the heart isn't charity, it's you paying money into a system.
>>
>>1174477
What do you mean, goy-err, guy?
>>
>>1174505
I said what I meant. If you give money to something that is bad, and you know it's bad, then it isn't charity, because charity is good. Also, forcing you to pay into it, and not have be this you can if you want to, but if you don't then I'm not gonna stop you isn't charity, it's you putting your hard money into it.
>>
File: le trashman.jpg (29 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
le trashman.jpg
29 KB, 600x446
>altruism

I'm no Randbot but fuck off with this garbage
>>
>>1173903
How so?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.