[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the secularization of the Islamic world at the start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Atatürk.jpg (59 KB, 538x709) Image search: [Google]
Atatürk.jpg
59 KB, 538x709
Where did the secularization of the Islamic world at the start of the previous century come from? And why has is turned around again?
>>
>>1285227
I usually never post, but your interest seems sincere.

The secular movements started already mid 19th century before Abdulhamit II. took power.

As we you may know he was deposed by the Young Turks who also were secular. In fact Ataturk was a member of the Young Turks.

After the disaster of WW1 Ataturk established a secular nation, however the country was in desperate need of intellectuals and academicians. So many ex-young turks found their way in to the government.

Secularism held power in Turkey until the 50s when a populist retard named Adnan Menderes came to power. He tried like Erdogan does today to build a mini dictatorship. He ended up in the gallows..

Secularism has been reversed mainly because of the oppression of the Islamic movements in Turkey. Islam is an arab religion and a disease on any nation that wants to remain secular.

Turkey simply crumbled under that disease. The constant rejection of EU, and the unappreciating attitude of the West in general towards Turkey fueled Neo-Ottomanist sentiment.

While I like the Young Turk esque Ottomanism, I absolutely abhor the Islamic variant of Ottomanism.

I hope for a better future for my country, but dont see it happening without the military having a coup.
>>
>>1285259
Thank you.
>>
>>1285259
Tbqhwyf you shouldn't talk about my country and coups on the internet.
>>
>>1285259
Thanks

Do you also know anything about the rest of the Islamic world, for example Iran?
>>
>>1285271
The Shah was an oppressive leader who was out of touch with his people. The revolt against the Shah was not a strictly Islamic backed one. A bulk of the people revolting were Secularists or Communists.
Sadly once the revolution was succesfull the Islamist's purged the revolutionaries from these elements and created the Islamic Republic that we have today. However I believe in the next 50 years Iran will have a major change and the Mullahs will be taken down from their high castles.

Pakistan and Tunisia took The Turkish revolution as an example (even adopted variants of the Turkish flag). While Tunisia was extremely succesfull, sadly it fell in to the autocratic hands of Bin Ali. However he did not reverse secularism and Tunisia is the only succesfull country of the Arap Spring.

Pakistan on the other hand was constantly sandwiched between greater powers and conflicts. They did what they had to survive but it is pretty much still a very shaky country. However it needs alot of reforms and more peace in the neighbourhood. Also the country suffered from military Juntas.

Libya, Iraq and Syria was extremely succefull in woman rights and pushing the Islamic movements aside. Gaddafi was one of the champions to fight against islamism, however with 2011 that battle is lost as well.

Saddam was never religious until he lost the 1st Gulf War. Iraq was shattered and he needed to gain popularity and support. So he went ahead and used Islam as a propaganda tool (google his blood quran).

Syria and Assad II. seemed to be holding on to secularism until 2011 happened. Now his soldiers are also growing beards and shouting Allahu Akbar.

In desperate times, nearly every leader or soldier turns to religion to gain more support.
>>
>>1285227
>And why has is turned around again?

Cause the US removed secular Mossadegh, removed the secular Afghan republic indirectly, and pumped shit tons of schoolbooks in the region that have the Islamist interpretation of Jihad, to get enough militias rallied up to fight the Russians then.
>>
>>1285259
>Neo-Ottomanism
Found the Kurd
>>
Certain leaders were massive Euroboos - one of the pre-Nasser Egyptian kings, or the Ottoman sultan who got Verdi to compose the national anthem. Both put a bunch of money into high-class architecture projects. Problem is they took out loans from European banks/countries as a result and ended up so indebted that those same powers they wanted to emulate ended up economically colonizing them

>>1285259
Considering the amount of military intervention in modern Turkish history, I wonder if they will act against Erdogan if he goes through with his constitution
>>
It was an arms race. Secularism just made the snackbars more clever at hiding the power level.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.