[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Checkmate atheists. http://www.skarlakidis.gr/en/thema/ 18-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: kionas_04.jpg (136 KB, 681x539) Image search: [Google]
kionas_04.jpg
136 KB, 681x539
Checkmate atheists.

http://www.skarlakidis.gr/en/thema/18--1579-.html

>Dear Mr. Skarlakidis,
>Thank you for your email dated 31/1/2010. I believe I can be of assistance to your worthy project.
>For the last thirty-five years I have been working with Experimental Fracture Mechanics at the Physics of Strength of Materials Laboratory of the National University of Athens and I believe wherever there is no scientific explanation, there is a miracle.
>I have no reason to doubt the Munich Library manuscript dated to 1634 which gives an account of the miraculous manner of the rupture of the column as well as what ensued: that the Greek patriarch used this Fire to light his candle. I do not believe it is possible to doubt a miracle and especially where there are related accounts.
>By examining the fracture from the photographs, we could conclude that it is a result of combined pressure: a combination of electrical discharge (probably a strong lightning bolt) and a large seismic tremor. The electrical discharge, due to the high momentary temperature, embrittled the material in the column down the length of a narrow area (origin). The surface seismic wave put pressure on the column resulting in torsional oscillation (fatigue). This simultaneous pressure resulted in the fracture beginning at the base of the column and continuing upwards in a zigzag course (as it appears in the photograph the course of the fracture is not linear) along the length of the area made embrittled by the electrical discharge. If the above indeed occurred, in my opinion this simultaneous combined pressure of the column remains inexplicable. Therefore, one could speak only of a miracle.
>Dear Mr. Skarlakidis I would like to offer my congratulations on your work and I wholeheartedly wish you great success.
>Regards,
>George Α. Papadopoulos
>Professor of Mechanics,
>Physics of Strength of Materials Laboratory
>National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
>>
Wait I thought science was the flawed knowledge of man
>>
I don't get what the it's saying?
That a unlikely coincidence is a miracle?

But that's stupid, because it's unlikely and not impossible. And from it's unlikeliness, that just means statistically it was going to happen eventually.
That's not a miracle at all. Am I missing something?
>>
>>1172526
>Am I missing something?
Yes, The Word became flesh.
>>
>>1172526
The circumstances surrounding it:
>According to written sources, on Holy Saturday of that year, a group of Turkish soldiers forbad the Orthodox entry into the Church of the Resurrection. The crowd of the faithful remained in the church courtyard throughout the entire day, and even after the sun had set.
>The Greek Patriarch Sophronius IV was in the first year of his reign. It was the first time he would perform the most important rite of the year, but the Turks deprived him of his legal right. The patriarch stood in prayer at the left side of the church doorway, near a column. And suddenly, when night had already fallen, the column split and the Holy Fire leapt from its interior.
>The patriarch immediately lit his candle and passed the Holy Fire to the faithful. Within a few minutes the sacred flame had spread to all those present and the courtyard of the church was illuminated. The awestruck Turkish guards then opened the doors of the church and the patriarch along with the rejoicing faithful poured in towards the Holy Sepulchre.
>>
>>1172526
>Am I missing something?

A cultist mindset. It is required to comprehend.
>>
>Greek universities
>>
>>1172526
>Am I missing something?
A narrow minded religious education
>>
>>1172494

>I don't understand, therefor it must be the Hebrew sky god

wew
>>
>>1174933
What's to understand considering the context?

https://www.rt.com/news/holy-fire-jerusalem-ignite-580/
>The Holy Fire ignites, apparently of its own accord, from the tomb of Jesus Christ at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. It has been descending on the church for more than 1,500 years and it is believed that the year in which it doesn’t light will be the last year in the history of man.
>The fire descends on Jerusalem during a prayer by the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine, who then passes the flame to pilgrims. The pilgrims light 33 candles –that have all been tied together - from the fire to symbolize every year of Christ’s life.
>As the fire doesn’t burn during the first moments after its appearance, pilgrims wash their faces and heads in it, apparently suffering no injury.
>>
>>1172547
Right, and the roman seer cut a rock in half with a razor blade
>>
>>1172494
>Shillantine
>>
Put your fucking trip back on AElian.
>>
>>1172526
>Am I missing something?
OMG .. you're a white male - of course.
>>
>>1180406
Not him

t. him
>>
>>1172494
Is this AElian or Constantine?
>>
>>1180530
neither
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.