[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did this man do wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: xiang_yu_stash(3).jpg (89 KB, 458x660) Image search: [Google]
xiang_yu_stash(3).jpg
89 KB, 458x660
What did Xiang Yu do wrong /his/?
>>
He committed the unforgiveable sin of dual wielding.
>>
I disliked the way he massacred the surrendering Qin soldiers personally, though that account (and most others concerning this time) is probably exaggerated to some extent.

Beyond that, I guess he just had shit luck with winning over allies. As a general, he was obviously a lot more competent than Liu Bang, but Liu Bang was better at getting people to flock to his side.
>>
>>1170669
Xiang Yu literally BTFO'd an army of half a million men with only 30,000 men, that's beyond impressive.
>>
>>1170687
This is what I mean by exaggeration. I have trouble believing the numerical values in a lot of these accounts. The ancient Chinese tended to exaggerate numbers so I don't take those at face value. That having been said, Xiang Yu definitely did have some military talent and he probably did win some battles while outnumbered.
>>
>>1170702
Well but what were his biggest military mistakes? Not talking about diplomatic issues.
>>
>>1170708
It's hard for me to answer because I don't know how much stock to put into the accounts from Sima Qian (going by Burton Watson translation as I can't read traditional Mandarin).

I recall that at one point he tried to kill Liu Bang with a crossbow or something and failed, so maybe that? Otherwise I don't know. His biography makes him sound like a God and even his last stand at Gaixia is made out to sound like the most epic thing imaginable, with Xiang Yu kicking as much ass as possible before going down.
>>
File: xiang_yu_stash(2).png (50 KB, 120x150) Image search: [Google]
xiang_yu_stash(2).png
50 KB, 120x150
>>1170723
Because he was one.
>>
>>1170641
by being a chink

t. korean
>>
File: Hongmen Gate incident.jpg (160 KB, 1500x726) Image search: [Google]
Hongmen Gate incident.jpg
160 KB, 1500x726
>>1170641
Being a politically unsavvy fuck

Win all the battles but lose the war.
>>
>>1170708
The battle that killed him obviously.

He was JUSTed so hard, he was surrounded "On 10 Sides" as the Chinese ballad puts it.
>>
>>1170641
chink suck at fight.
>>
>>1171283
The Feast at the Hong Gate is the most awkward shit i've ever read about, was Xiang Yu autistic?
>>
>>1171261
>>1171545
t. butthurt irrelevent Korean
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.