[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me understand something /his/, there are those who oppose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (491 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
491 KB, 1536x2048
Help me understand something /his/, there are those who oppose torture, but also support bombing. I argue that if you support bombing people, you have to support torture. In torture you're not
Killing the person, you have reasonable evidence that they have done something wrong or are about too, and you at least gave them a choice in the matter ( compared to bombing, in which it's possible to bomb someone without them being involved.)
>>
>>1168059
>you have reasonable evidence that they have done something wrong or are about too
Torture as defined by the Oxford dictionary

>The action or practice of inflicting severe pain on someone as a punishment or to force them to do or say something, or for the pleasure of the person inflicting the pain.
>>
>>1168065
Are you saying they're not related, because they clearly are. You bomb things as a preventive measure, just as you torture for the same reasons.
>>
>>1168076
I'm saying this is invalid and not a requirement for either. Your argument is utterly invalid.
>you have reasonable evidence that they have done something wrong or are about too
>>
>>1168083
>to force them to do or say something
You literally defined why we torture, and in that definition implies what I'm talking about.
>>
File: image.png (136 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
image.png
136 KB, 300x450
>>1168059
>In torture you're not
>Killing the person, you have reasonable evidence that they have done something wrong or are about too, and you at least gave them a choice in the matter ( compared to bombing, in which it's possible to bomb someone without them being involved.)
>hey look my highly specific definition of torture crafter specially for this argument to downplay all its negative aspects and ignore how useless it is for intelligence gathering and how frequently the wrong people get tortured makes it look like bombing people is worse

Gee, you've totally convinced me. What a compelling and flawless argument.
>>
>>1168200
That has nothing to do with it, all it has do with is being consistent. I'm not arguing torture works, or is necessarily a good thing. Im simply saying those who believe in bombing, must also believe in the practice of torture.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.