[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How credible would be an alternative history, where the western
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: roman.jpg (285 KB, 969x698) Image search: [Google]
roman.jpg
285 KB, 969x698
How credible would be an alternative history, where the western roman empire survived in north Africa?
>>
>>1164835
>How credible would be an alternative history, where the western roman empire survived in north Africa?
Not credible at all because that isn't what happened.
>>
It would feed us with more we wuz kings memes and funny BLM posts on Twitter.
I approve.
>>
>>1164835
There were Romano-Berber kingdoms in North Africa that were basically Berber chieftains with Roman cities who feigned loyalty to the ERE. ERE Africa survived for alil while.

North Africa was a heavily profitable and Romanized area. Its completely plausible in some alternative hisfuck that Italy is taken and the remnant rump state is in NA. Happened in Dalmatia and North Gaul.
>>
>>1164835
>WE WUZ KANGZ N SHEIT
>>
>>1164835
You could probably do it using the battle of Cape Bone as a point of departure.
>>
File: ad0410sackrome.gif (26 KB, 620x475) Image search: [Google]
ad0410sackrome.gif
26 KB, 620x475
>>1164835
Vandals, Alans and Suevi taking Spain, lets say the Romano-Gothic force failed to dislodge them. Franks, Burgundians and Goths divided Gaul. And maybe the Ostrogoths or Odacer take Italy.

You'd have NA, the breadbasket of Rome, split from the mainland. Keep the Vandals in Spain is the big issue. ERE would want NA bad but if you get the Persians taking the Levant and Egypt, they wouldn't try to impose.
>>
>>1164835

There could have been some sort of independent Roman realm there like there was in northern Gaul after the fall of the Empire, but not the Empire itself because no Emperor nor Imperial Administration could just go and establish themselves somewhere else other than Rome or anywhere in Italy.
>>
>>1164835
Here goes the most credible possibility imho:

During the last roman-persian war, thee was a point where the Avars were besieging Constantinople and the Sassanids were in Chalcedonia looking for an opportunity to cross the hellespont and join. Romans managed to resist thanks to their superior navy and religious determination, but things could've easily gone wrong. The plan of Heraclius was to move the capital of the empire to Carthage. Had the persians and avars succeeded, you would probably have a north african roman empire.
>>
>>1168329
Oh sorry, I didn't see "western" roman empire part.

In that case I think every possibility will be a bit silly since the loss of North Africa was instrumental for the final demise of the western empire.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.