[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aside from the scandal ( which is nothing by today's standards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: zi1zolot14bvn7ezemn4.jpg (36 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
zi1zolot14bvn7ezemn4.jpg
36 KB, 640x430
Aside from the scandal ( which is nothing by today's standards ) I feel he was a pretty great president do you think history will absolve him?
>>
>>1163566
>I feel he was a pretty great president do you think history will absolve him?
When the baby boomers die off, that's when he'll be loved.
>>
I feel like I was born too late to properly hate Nixon, the way Hunter Thompson did.
>>
>>1163566
I think history will take a generally neutral view of him.
>>
>>1163566
Nigger what? Watergate would be huge by any standards. Bill Clinton's infidelity was a huge scandal at it was much more irrelevant than Watergate.
>>
>>1163566

He treasoned his way to the White House, did some good things, then threw it with Watergate.

The world fucking loves Lee Kuan Yew and the myth of Singapore. They'll fucking love Nixon as soon as the baby boomers die.
>>
>>1163570
If nothing else people need to start giving him credit for getting a not shit relationship with China. Jumping on the Sino-Soviet split was an ace move.
>>
File: myth bust her.gif (2 MB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
myth bust her.gif
2 MB, 200x183
>>1163566
>which is nothing by today's standards

stopped reading right there
>>
File: 1972_Electoral_Map[1].png (171 KB, 1182x635) Image search: [Google]
1972_Electoral_Map[1].png
171 KB, 1182x635
>dat electoral map
Hippie scum btfo

Will anyone sweep the states again? How did Nixon and Reagan manage it?
>>
>>1163982
Fear sells.

People were scared as fuck in 1972 and 1980.
>>
>>1163982
>Nixon
Because the Democr*ts were fucking around in Vietnam without much progress
>Reagan
Because Carter and the American malaise.
>>
File: 1440654559197.png (291 KB, 327x429) Image search: [Google]
1440654559197.png
291 KB, 327x429
>>1163982
>Will anyone sweep the states again?
>>
>>1164001
In 1972, Nixon had been fighting in Vietnam as long as Johnson had.
>>
>>1164010
The difference being that he was elected by promising to "fix" Vietnam, and by pulling out.
Would have worked too, if it weren't for Watergate and the Democrats being a bunch of pussy ass motherfuckers who left the South out to dry.
>>
>>1164018
I still wonder about this.

I mean, there's a reason the Paris Peace Accords had to be negotiated without Khiem, and essentially forced on him.

On the other hand, the spring '75 offensive involved full scale armor columns, and you can't have that if somebody is Linebackering your shit.
>>
>>1163996
>>1164001

Reagan swept in 84. People must have liked what he was doing. Can't have only been fear.

>>1164005

We all know he's winning all 50
>>
>>1164056
Of course people liked him. The 80's was the time of optimism, up from the depression and self doubt of the 70's.
never mind the huge increase in violent crime, AID's and the crack epidemic.
>>
>>1164056
Presidents live and die by economics if there's no war on.

Same reason Bush Senior got dumped in favor of Clinton.
>>
>>1163659
He also jumpstarted the environmentalist movement. He never gets credit for that.
>>
>>1164056
>>1164064
>>1164079
Reagan was also a man of the people. Love him or hate him, he knew how to electrify a crowd and relate to average joes, rich kids, and even coloreds. Humor took him very far and he wasn't afraid to be curt and speak his mind when necessary.
>>
Reagan was a puppet. If you like to be run by men behind the man then glorify him you retards.
>>
>>1166600
>being this upset on a history board
Take it to /pol/.
>>
>>1164037

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21768668

There's a link in that article to the LBJ tapes if you really want to liaten to them.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.