[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no more empires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: 1463425504720.png (17 KB, 882x758) Image search: [Google]
1463425504720.png
17 KB, 882x758
>no more empires
>>
>>1160948
It can't be done so openly today, it isn't acceptable. But also not worth it, why would you want to directly control and have to deal with an entire other country? Just go set up a military base there for "security", and get a sweet deal or even free on the particular thing you want from that nation. That's what America does.

Oh and if you need to fight, do it via proxy under some guise of freedom fighting rebels.
>>
Imperium Americanum soon frater
>>
Depends what you call an empire, desu. Yes, there's no Empire in the traditional sense before.

>Russia
>America

America has military bases in pretty much every Ally state, and has basically used its economic clout to change foreign policy of other countries where they see fit. Propping up Israel/Invading Iraq/Invading Afghanistan/Iran sanctions/Supplying Saudi Arabia, the US' closest 'Ally' in the Middle East, with gunz n shit to fight turrism, definitely ignoring the fact that they're using them on people who are just against Saudi Interests. You could also say they pretty much have a Cultural empire on the rest of the world.

On the other hand, Russia invades Georgia, Crimea, and Syria, all to restore 'freedom' to Russian ethinc groups, or a system that favours them as a trading partner and ally. And it's not that the US didn't do that too - it's just that they're the only two relevant, independent powers on the planet that have the capability of exerting their power as much as they do. All the rest of the modern powers are basically cucked into backing the US, mostly.

The Chinese are trying to build an 'empire' of sorts in Asia, too. I imagine if this keeps up for another 15 years, we might see some Chinese 'liberations' in Vietnam and Singapore, too.
>>
File: image.jpg (493 KB, 662x930) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
493 KB, 662x930
>no
>more
>empires
>>
>>1161026
Too bad China is such a piece of shit with horrible infrastructure.
>>
>>1161269
emperor of his own island
>>
>>1160948
Prep the bull for the United Nations Coalition, one race the human race, nationalism is a social construct filthy go-citizen

>>1161026
América is a big global power but still not a proper empire ruling over different nations but not far from it though, they had their chance in the 1910-1920's.

Puerto Rico is a good approach of what life under the 50 core states would be. The "muh freedoms" meme is what hold you back.

Russia on the other hand was and still is a falling empire, ruling over "autonomous" states and nations with different cultures and languages. Same goes for China
>>
>>1160948
Oh, there's still empires.

We just call them multinational corporations now.
>>
Don't worry, brother.

I will create a new one.
>>
>>1161269
>japan
>empire
So if I call myself emperor, then my house is an empire?
>>
>>1163442
>>1161942
To be fair, the Nip Emperor is only called Emperor by white people. He's Tenno really.
>>
File: Russian_Regions-EN.svg.png (547 KB, 2000x1824) Image search: [Google]
Russian_Regions-EN.svg.png
547 KB, 2000x1824
The Russian Federation could be considered an empire.
>>
>>1163486
>To be fair, the Nip Emperor is only called Emperor by white people.
Nope, Japs did gun for the Imperial Flavor.

Case in point: historically the Japanese are butthurt whenever Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese (and all of Eastern Asia really) called their Emperor: "King of Japan." Since similar to Europe and the HRE/Byzantium, there's only one person allowable to be called Emperor in an East Asia that uses Chink as an international language. And that's the guy who has the Mandate of Heaven.

It doesn't help that Shogunal politics has East Asian's confused as who really fucking ruled Japan. The Shoguns were often interchangeably called "King of Japan" by Chinese Diplomats.
>>
>>1161269
What doujins do you think he reads?
>>
File: pepes.png (20 KB, 954x539) Image search: [Google]
pepes.png
20 KB, 954x539
Never say never.....
I have a cunning plan
>>
File: Aquila_transparent.png (127 KB, 3543x1343) Image search: [Google]
Aquila_transparent.png
127 KB, 3543x1343
>Implying imperium of man wont happen.
>>
>>1161026

>China liberates Vietnam
>implying China wants to fuck with Vietnam
>not realizing the history of vietnam was literally beating back all invaders and conquerors

Well meme'd.

And while I'm not ruling out an eventual Chinese takeover of Singapore, it's not gonna happen for at least 20 years. Singapore is way too useful to China for that.
>>
>>1160948
>what is Russia
>What is China
>What is Iran
>What is India
>What is Indonesia
>>
>>1160948
The U.S. is an empire without an actual emperor, at least not yet.
>>
>>1164191
>Iran
>India
>Indonesia
None of those are comparable to Russia and China

>inb4 muh India soon to be superpower
>>
>>1164191
None of the nations you listed is an empire.
>>
>>1164219
>>1164227
They're all nations built around a central ethnic group imposing its culture onto other peripheral groups.

I agree that Indonesia, India and Iran are a stretch tho.
>>
>>1161942
It's more land and more people than a lot of meme "empires" you can see in history.

Empire and emperor are buzzwords today, that's why no any other monarchy really bothers to call itself empire anymore.
>>
>>1164239
Then Spain is a fucking empire because it has the basques? France too, they have sardinia and some funny niggers in south america. European empires are still alive, pretty noice to be honest.
>>
>>1164258
Yeah, actually. I'd say they are.
>>
The great game never ended.

It simply exchanged players.
>>
>>1160948
The European Union + America constitute the greatest jewish empire in history.
>>
>>1163388
>América is a big global power but still not a proper empire ruling over different nations but not far from it though, they had their chance in the 1910-1920's.
Do you not see manifest destiny as a conquest? We started on the east coast and took the clay of native americans by force or treaty.

It's just that instead of ruling over them America killed them, moved there, and assimilated the remainder.

I honestly think in the future America will be viewed as a different type of empire but still and empire.
>>
>>1163538
kekkerama
>>
>>1163607
>China not fucking with vietnam
>Forgetting that they were under Chinese rule for over a millenia
>>
>>1161285
China should have kept the emperors
>>
>>1164331
You're just retarded.
>>
The U.S. Is an empire
>>
>>1164678

Empires leech shit from its colonies, but America's colonies leech shit from America. If the US is an empire it's pretty bad at it.
>>
>>1161942
Japan got downsized so hard after WWII that everyone forgot they colonized Ezo, Ryukyu etc. Hell, we're lucky they didn't keep Taiwan.
>>
>>1164706
It is pretty bad at it, because it tries to be the World's friend.

It's an Alexander trying to pass itself off as a Wilson.

It goes into all of these foreign countries and wastes tons of money trying to set up vassal states who will play nice with the world instead of marching in and claiming it for its self.

The World is already America culturally speaking, so we might as well get some taxes.
>>
>>1165388

if america wasn't making money from it somehow they wouldn't be doing it
>>
>>1165407
>America makes 17 trillion dollars a year
>America can afford to piss away literally tens of billions of man-hours worth of labor on pointless PR gestures with no consequences whatsoever
>this is an amazing time to be alive
>>
File: 1462541366936.gif (2 MB, 457x486) Image search: [Google]
1462541366936.gif
2 MB, 457x486
>US is an empire like Rome because burgers and pop music is popular
>>
>>1164563
Every time China ruled over Vietnam, the rule lasts shorter and shorter. They didn't even come close in 1979.
>>
>>1165430
You're laughing now but you'll be crying in 500 years time.
>>
>HOLY
>>
When America gets a proper emperor you're going to see some SHIT.
>>
>>1163543
Sadly not in our lifetimes
>>
>>1163525
My favorite was when the Portuguese decided he was Pope.
>>
>>1165430
Or maybe because America owns Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico
>>
>>1165546
Mexico owns America, they get all the best trade deals
>>
File: 1450889899727.jpg (158 KB, 1112x849) Image search: [Google]
1450889899727.jpg
158 KB, 1112x849
>>1161026
>>America has military bases in pretty much every Ally state
americans have
-a constitution
- plenty of markets

this does not even make a nation, even less an empire
>>
>>1165546
All of those places want the US there though.

There's a difference between a hegemony and an empire, you Clyde.
>>
>>1161026
China has also expanded trade to SSA and Latin America
>>
>>1165841
Tell that to the Athenians, or really just the Greeks in general.
>>
The United States is an empire.

But only 2-4 of it's territories have people living in them. Most of it's claims are on uninhabited islands, including a stretch of rocks
>>
>>1165464
So? China conquered the Vietnamese people for around a total of 1000 years. Also, your most famous dynasty was created and ruled by Chinese from Fujian. Let's not forget you guys got colonized by the Frogs for about 100 years.
>>
>>1163388
i think america itself is an empire but as opposed to the romans or other empires the Americans created a formal system by which territories could apply to statehood so it was relatively well organized. also, people in states basically rule themselves to a large extent
>>
Plz stop being a fag look at japan
>>
>>1166242
>people in states basically rule themselves to a large extent
LOL
>>
>>1166621
how is this not true? they have their own laws, taxes, elect their own officials, regulations etc. etc. yes the federal govt is powerful, but the states still have significant prerogatives
>>
>>1166621
>LOL

retard.
>>
>>1160948
empires are only worthwhile for the capital/founding country
everyone's elses fate will range from simple extortion to slavery

so yeah, thank god there are no more empires.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.