[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like historical novels, /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Do you like historical novels, /his/?
>>
*historical fanfiction
>>
>>1157669

I prefer actual, more interesting history that happened in real life.
>>
>>1157669
Love them. Quality tends to be pretty low tho, and accuracy even lower.
My favourite series is O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin.
>>
Listened to a lot of Sharpe audiobooks. I love it.
>>
>>1157963
Aubrey-Maturin is great. O'Brian is really good at injecting personality into the characters. You can imagine very easily how someone like Jack or Stephen would act in person; they have a lot of consistency, but also develop as they age.
>>
The best historical fiction I've read was Memoirs of a Cavalier. When it was first published it was so convincing that people thought it was a true story.

The first Flashman novel was alright but it's not my period.
>>
Love it, though after reading a load of Cornwell's books I'm really fed up of the old retired guy giving his life story thing.
>>
>>1158337
My favourite historical fiction series was masters of rome, though I got bored after Marius, Sulla and friends all started dying off and Caesar took over as main character.
>>
Does anyone know any good books set in Scotland that aren't about the wars of independence.

David I would be nice.
>>
>>1157669
That author is SHIT. Across the board shit.
>>
If they don't try to dramatize the actual events and persons involved and instead focus on an unrelated character living trough them or their consequences, yes.
>>
>>1158437
Just read Robbie Burns.
>>
>>1158432
i agree, his new books in the series sparks things upp so i like them and i think they will turn out good if not better
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.