[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with the insignificance of your life? >inb4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 113843558.jpg (874 KB, 1400x760) Image search: [Google]
113843558.jpg
874 KB, 1400x760
How do you deal with the insignificance of your life?

>inb4 baby's first exist' crisi

The amount of people around the world, the advanced understanding of how people act and think has definitely changed things. There was a time when you were only aware of the lives of the few members of your tribe and not to how alike people are. This realization was not available yet. A person could feel significant, magical, mysterious.
How do we still perceive our lives as significant with contemporary knowledge of history, psychology(etc...)?
>>
>>1156994
Because it's all you're ever going to experience, therefore to maximize your enjoyment of it you ought to realize that it doesn't matter whether you appear significant to other people so long as you enjoy yourself.
>>
>>1156994
You're still significant to the people around you. The prime minister of any country in the world means less to me than any of my friends or family
>>
>>1157019
>>1157042
Yeah, but as you grow older you realize that no matter what you achieve, human life is always flawed, always unequal, always a struggle against others, always full of misunderstandings.
Yes you can ignore it and strive for something and enjoy the people around you but all that is also a struggle that ultimately ends with pain and death and disappointment.
The question is how to restructure the understanding of what it is to be human and what it means to be in general while not ignoring ones insignificence, or so this insignificence goes away completely.
>>
Vain air of superiority that I brashly refuse to test in reality.
>>
>>1157077
There is no need to be significant, it's just a desire caused by your ego. Making other people happy, volunteering, community service; these are the things that people who die satisfied have done.
>>
>>1157019
But enjoying is only through struggle. You have to enjoy struggling, being violent towards others.
There is no system dedicated towards making sure interactions are favorable for everyone. We can never be sure of the motivations of even the people closest to us. We can't even be sure of our own motivations.
>>
>>1156994
Value isn't determined by uniqueness. That is a common and natural human misconceptions since socially we assign value relative to others. So just stop it. Appreciate both the flower and the field of flowers without either diminishing the other. It's all in your head.
>>
>>1156994
>nb4 baby's first exist' crisi
But this is exactly what you sound like OP and so do your angsty posts.

Life as a human is surviving, enjoying, and doing what you think is best for you. There IS NO point to your existence. You are created biologically and randomly like the ant outside your yard. You are created for your penis to inseminate a woman because the hormones and cells in your bodies want to continue on living. You were just lucky enough to be born human to actually live 50+ years and have the ability to think. To think you need to achieve something like Alexander the Great and be significant to everyone is the priority of some first-world problem babby who's been spoiled his entire life.

If you were born a Kardashian you would probably be a bigger whore than Kim, trying to get the world's attention to try and be significant.
>>
>>1156994
>How do we still perceive our lives as significant with contemporary knowledge of history, psychology
Humanity is moving on to a new stage, where awareness of the world isn't cultivated through individual experiences broadcast to the masses through art and scientific discovery, but instead comes from the massive amount of demographic data being generated and harvested at all times by literally billions of human beings. As computers become more and more advanced, and as time progresses giving us more and more data, we will be able to accurately model things that seem impenetrable to us now, like the economies of entire nations of whole ecosystems. You're individuality isn't worth much in this scheme but who cares? You'll have fully-immersive VR to occupy your personal desires.
>>
File: sysiphus.jpg (43 KB, 360x355) Image search: [Google]
sysiphus.jpg
43 KB, 360x355
I find myself comforted by Camus' absurdism. I like to embrace that life is absurd and can not be held to reason, yet in embracing that absurdity we have knowledge of it and are our own masters.

Pic related, Camus explains in detail through the Myth of Sisyphus.
>>
File: 1463278924002.jpg (48 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
1463278924002.jpg
48 KB, 640x633
I try not to think about it too much. It bums me out when I think about how thousands of years of humans struggling is simply meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Mote of dust in a sunbeam etc. etc.

https://a.pomf.cat/vyxevu.webm
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.