[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Victim Theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: GermanAustriaMap.png (23 KB, 788x560) Image search: [Google]
GermanAustriaMap.png
23 KB, 788x560
Is the theory that Austria was a victim in WW2 justified, because from my knowledge Austrians wanted to join Germany much more than even Hitler could have expected so why is this still pushed in modern analysis of history?
>>
>>1156890
Of course not. As you said Austrians fully supported nazism because of their butthurt caused by not being a great power anymore and saw joining Germany as a way to be relevant again.
>>
>>1156890

that sounds like bullshit, austria got out great after the war considering it was part of germany, the fact it was anexed made it possible to threat it like it was neutral, they were never occupied by soviets, no major battles were fought in austria, they came out unscathed
>>
>>1156890

because it suits everyone to say so.

the point about a scapegoat is that it absolves the rest of the guilty of shame.
>>
File: Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg (47 KB, 644x472) Image search: [Google]
Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg
47 KB, 644x472
>>1156890
there was enough doubt that the Nazis had to completely fake referendum results, anybody that says for certain that Austria as a whole wanted to be Nazi is a joke. Animosity and cultural difference between Southern and Northern German cultures didn't magically go away after the 19th century, and Austrians (while not a fully developed separate national identity at the time) undoubtedly still saw some aspects of Prussian-dominated Germany as distasteful. The fact remains though, that Austrians (or Ostmarkers at that time) were some of the most brutal Nazis in the party ranks. All in all, though, Nazi guilt is a fucking joke.
>>
>>1156946
Don't be ridiculous. Austrians considered themselves ethnic Germans and wanted to join Germany immidately after the division of the habsburg empire. The allies changed their name from "german austria" to "austria" and forbade them from joining germany. There's no such thing as south-north animosity, the austria-prussia rivalry was over for decades. Stop making shit up.
>>
>>1156890
Austrian national identity is built on a try to evade responsibility for WW2.
>>
>>1156917
OP here, That's what I was thinking, as in like Austria had technically been a part of Germany so why act like they wernt with the Axis
>>
>>1156969
I would ask for a source for all of this but I know I won't get one. The reason why they named themselves German-Austria after the war was because "Austria" or Österreich was not a term that previously referred to only German parts of the empire. There is nothing that indicates concretely that the majority of Austrians wanted to be a part of the third reich, and the fact that there was enough uncertainty towards the question that Hitler pushed a phony referendum is testament to that. Oh, and north-south animosity certainly did exist. In fact, it persists to this day.
>>
>>1156975
Op
I wouldn't say they dont have a nationality its just more like, every Austrians a German but not every Germans an Austrian
>>
>>1156975
fuck off with this /int/-tier garbage. Austrian national identity is founded on not being traditionally included in German affairs since the 19th century due to a variety of political and diplomatic scenarios. German identity is a very complicated thing that is much more than whether or not somebody holds German citizenship, and that is a direct result of the sectionalist tendencies that are traditionally pervasive in their culture. Pan-German sentiment did not reach a point where unification was a possibility until the nineteenth century because of this, and for most of both countries' histories a German was a Bavarian/Prussian/Austrian/Swabian/Saxon first and then a German.

This still exists to an extent today, there is a reason why regional flags are much more prevalent in Germany and Austria than national flags, and it's not because of some /pol/-tier bullshit about cucking, it's because that is quintessential part of German culture.
>>
>>1157035
Man if only Prussia was still alive as a state
>>
>>1157051
Fuck Prussia. They were the niggers of Europe.

Austria should have formed Germany.
>>
>>1157058
Yes so Germany could be ruled by Catholic Magyars, let's pass that into law shall we?
>>
>>1157068
Again with the /int/ bullshit. Go back to your board. Austrian statecraft and diplomacy was miles beyond the Prussians. Germany would not have had the century of misery it is still enduring if the Prussians had not been in charge. But hey, might makes right and history is written by the victors, right?
>>
>>1157058
Don't you have some papal balls to go lick, Habsburg?
>>
>>1157088
you mean that amazing piece of statecraft that fell apart in WWI under its own weight?
>>
>>1157088
I'm saying the Prussia actually had to work for recognition, unlike Austria who got it on a silver platter by a bunch of inbred Hungarians playing Emperor
>>
>>1157099
I'm sure gaining recognition as a Baltic hivemind of vile, militaristic uncultured swine from a military with land was very work. But this isn't kindergarten and you get points for not being a pile of festering shit with a destructive culture, not for doing your best.

>>1157098
You mean that amazing piece of statecraft that existed through all kinds of difficulties and threats to its existence through half a millennium with the fastest growing economy in Europe in 1914? Yes I do mean that one. I certainly don't mean the piece of statecraft that warred itself into and out of existence within the space of three or four centuries that lead to the death of German spirit and identity.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.