[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Islam in the Far East
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: muslmwor.gif (11 KB, 511x345) Image search: [Google]
muslmwor.gif
11 KB, 511x345
How did Islam spread so far? Who did this? I thought the caliphates were confined to Arabia/Anatolia/Middle East (not to mention al-andalus in iberia). What brought it to India and the spice islands?
>>
>>1155072
>France and UK aren't highlighted
>>
>>1155072
What happened to the tip of India? Why didn't they advance south
>>
>>1155072
The red area should go a lot further north, even the fucking Siberians were muslim
>>
File: Britburqa.png (19 KB, 510x345) Image search: [Google]
Britburqa.png
19 KB, 510x345
>>1155072
You missed a few.
>>
>>1155072
>arabia
Homeland, auto spread
>levant
Close to homeland, important to religion, auto spread
>northern africa
No strong religious structures and weak states = spread like wildfire for security
>iberia
Same as north africa, out of all the former roman provinces iberia was the most out in the wind, no one cares about iberia for hundreds of years.
>persia
Remove zoroaster, memes aside manicheans where dominant and they wherent warlike enough to fight islam. That and failing governments.
>india
No caste system in islam. Those untouchables want rights. So islam spread
>steppes
Mongols said one day "oh your tengri was given a book and fucked 7 year olds. Neat" and that was that
>anatolia and the balkans
Literally turks wanting to be rome
>spice islands
Pirates wouldnt rape you as hard if you where muslims as well.
>>
>>1155097
Not my map, I just googled islam map 1500s and got this "regions at one time or now under islamic rule" map, probably some college project and I couldn't find anything more accurate. Thanks.
>>
>>1155097
>UK
my sides
>>
>>1155122
How have you not heard that joke thousands of times. Even the world service is making that joke nightly
>>
>>1155120
I was joking. The extra areas are the former British empire.
>>
>>1155097
You forgot Germany, France and Belgium
>>
>>1155072
Far East is Japan and Korea, not Spain and Africa.
>>
>>1155249

>Spain
>not the Far East
>>
File: mm.gif (151 KB, 804x557) Image search: [Google]
mm.gif
151 KB, 804x557
Currents of the Indian Ocean make Muslims able to navigate from Mecca to Indonesia easily.

They also brought people from Borneo into Madagascar.
>>
>>1155072
>I thought the caliphates were confined to Arabia/Anatolia/Middle East
They were
>What brought it to India and the spice islands?
Traders.
>>
File: Boxer Codex-192.jpg (152 KB, 450x632) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-192.jpg
152 KB, 450x632
>>1155099
>Pirates wouldnt rape you as hard if you where muslims as well.
Southeast Asian Muslims became muzzie because Muslims from India/Arabia gave you discount prices if you're Muslim.

That said, Islam did establish states in Southeast Asia that united some tribes, but these were still pretty happy in fighting each other. They're basically Asian vikings and its part of the culture in Insular Southeast Asia. Of course this time, they had the Ummah to keep the violence in check.
>>
>>1155072
The political chaos of the caliphates led to many generals, tribal leaders, and free-booting adventurers to either turn renegade and join the Byzantines or fan out and secure their own private kingdoms. Southern France, Southern Italy, Crete, Transoxiana, and Afghanistan were conquered in this way. Others became mercenaries and were settled in Northern China, or worked for neighboring principalities in Spain, France, and Italy.

Meanwhile a growing middle class of trader-bureaucrats formed a massive trade network across the Mediterranean and Indian Ocean, and to better secure their privileges they formed merchant and sailor colonies on Zanzibar coast, the Malabar coast, Indochina, Southern China, and the East Indies. Some Muslim traders who grew up in these colonies, owing to their extensive trade and thus diplomatic connections, became advisors to local rulers who then converted to Islam.

Starting in the 11th century a succession of new Turkic migrations put pressure on the Turkic and Iranic elites already settled in Central Asia, and many began to raid into India from bases in Afghanistan to avoid the likes of the Kara Khanids and Khitai, the Seljuks, and then the Mongols and Timurids. They formed the various sultanates of Northern India.

tl;dr Traders and Adventurers
>>
>>1156272
>southern italy
perhaps you mean Sicily
>>
>>1156293
I mean both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirate_of_Bari
>>
>>1156272
I also forgot to mention the trader colonies of Constantinople and Hungary in the early medieval period, as well as the nomads who settled there.
>>
>>1155097
Abbos were muslim?
>>
File: Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X.jpg (85 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X.jpg
85 KB, 620x413
>>1155633
muslim states in malaysia and indonesia are full fledged indochina tier kingdoms though, the more primitive tribals are confined to eastern indonesian between borneo and papua and around philippines

malays, javanese, and chamic vietnam people are known for their empires and temples prior to conversion to islam for ex.

though sultanate survive in malaysia and indonesia, they only serve ceremonial purpose now, only brunei have absolute muslim monarchy
>>
>>1155072
>questioning Alberto Barbosa's greatness
>>
>>1155072
>India
Conquest by turkics and iranics.

>Spice islands
Trade. Islam is a good religion for merchants because the concept of umma makes the muslim "part of the family". So you create "artificially" a situation like the one of the jews in europe, armenians and greeks in the middle east or the chinese in the exact same SEA.
>>
>>1156414
Not quite. Spanish sources place the direction of piratical activity beyond their Philippine posessions and in Borneo and Malacca. Coupled with the mobile threat that is the Ilanun.
>>
>>1157575
of course there's a lot of piratical activities around malacca, its been there since hindu-buddhist era, but people there are not tribal like the ones between borneo and papua.

islam doesn't really unite people there as it happen in borneo, its quite opposite in fact, the whole region which used to be united under the javanese hindus are broken into smaller islamic states, with each ethnic having their own states, and constantly fighting each other

the malay-javanese historical and cultural rivalry infact never ended until today
>>
>>1155099

All nonsensical shit that can be disregarded.

>>1155072
>What brought it to India and the spice islands?

Traders principally and initially brought Islam to central asia, China, India, southeast Asia.

With Islam growing and establishing powerful dynasties and empires and so too great economies it is not unnatural that great merchant networks would grow around it spreading out further expanding their trade and wealth. Some traders would discuss their theology with locals and others would have adventures/proselytizers amongst them in their group. The silk road would play a vital part in the spread further east as well as the traditional spice route network of merchant ships.
>>
>>1155097
>ireland
>1% muslims
You guys are getting ridicolus...
>>
>>1158670
It's just the british empire. Bongs are pakis and all that, you know, dank memes.
>>
>>1158682
oh right it colored the entire empire...
>>
>>1158682
>Bongs are pakis and all that, you know, dank memes
/thread
>>
>>1155099
how does it feel like to live like that. Utterly ignorant and proud?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.