[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 1462481686631.jpg (3 MB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
1462481686631.jpg
3 MB, 1800x1322
I want an introduction to philosophy, and what it is. Explain it to me as if I know nothing
>>
>>1154860

You know nothing.
>>
>>1154863
Lol Okay Socrates
>>
>>1154860
well taken from its roots -sophist was a thinker and -phil applies to a person? so a person who actively THINKS hue hue

a philosophy thus is a set of thinking
some philosophy sucks and some is more practical dependent on time and place.

fin
>>
>>1154860
The history and science of ideas.
>>
Philo (greek: Love) Sophy (greek: knowledge) [approximately], meaning "the love of knowledge," is the pursuit of knowledge in the metaphysical (non-reality concepts such as time, space, identity), epistemological (concepts and theories of knowledge), and ethics (study of action and inherent worth of action), among other things.

If OP or anyone else is brand new, start with Plato (personally, I'd suggest Republic), they're a safe bet that lays the groundwork for western philosophy in general.
>>
>>1154860
In the beginning God created the Search Engine...
ANON typed 'philosophy' into the search engine and learned the shit for himself.
The END
>>
File: 1458184978357.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1458184978357.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>hmm I dont know the answer to this question
>Il just use some nonsensical metaphor
>im a genius? ...I guess I am!
>geniuses write books!
>I need to write a book
>by one book I mean a hundred
>ok now its time for me to die in a stupid way
>>
"A love for wisdom."
Wisdom is a tricky subject to define; dictionaries define it as the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement; the quality of being wise.

It's wise to know that news stations are mostly untrustworthy sources of information, and therefore a person who trusts news sources without scrutiny is unwise. Philosophy, in simple terms, is experience-orientated, where we judge whether knowledge is true knowledge or false knowledge- in correlation with the dictionary defintion- making our judgement 'good'.

Most knowledge in the world is false knowledge, this is a wise understanding of human nature.
>>
>>1154999
Your depressed attitude leads me to believe that you must be a male with an aesthetically pleasing penis.
>>
File: MeaningOfLife.jpg (25 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
MeaningOfLife.jpg
25 KB, 440x330
>>1154860
Opinion masquerading as knowledge and pointless bickering over trivial minutiae.
>>
Modern philosophy is just a play of words and a means to get a job as a teacher of philosophy.

True philosophy, however

>"is the purification and perfection of human life. It is the purification, indeed, from material irrationality, and the mortal body; but the
perfection, in consequence of being the resumption of our proper felicity, and a reascent
to the divine likeness.

And

>Of philosophy thus defined, Plato may be justly called the primary leader and hierophant

And

>It may indeed be truly said of the whole of this
philosophy, that it is the greatest good which man can participate

Pythagoras gave us the word philosophy. True philosophy is to be found in the Platonic and Pythagorean tradition, as well in the works of certain mystics, and its business is "not of this world". What modern so-called "philosophers" do, endless minute hairsplitting about sentence structure and teaching young men how to argue in debates, at the same time denying the objective validty of any proposition, this had another name in Plato's time: sophistry, and this is what passes for philosophy these days.

Anyone desiring to study true philosophy should drink in the Platonic fountain. Anyone desiring to indulge in wordplay should leave the temple as it were and shut the door behind them.

http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/Thomas_Taylors_intro_to_Plato.pdf
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCBGWcd4qw&list=PL914258A2DAF5D393

This should get you started.
>>
>>1155059
I think it's more an examination of what it means to be human, and how to enjoy life in the way that maximizes your happiness and the happiness of those around you in the best way that produces the most net positivity. Essentially a religious moral code, but with proofs.
>>
the most general form of enquiry.
>>
>>1155124
Well, maybe maximizing your happiness according to a few philosophies (namely hedonism/utilitarianism)...I'd argue it'd be better to say philosophy in general is more like defining your purpose/meaning than maximizing your happiness.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1322
>>1154860
>>
>>1155059

Exactly.
>>
>>1154860

Philosophy is the volitional propensity and capacity to continually re-evaluate the depth of questioning.

>qualification: professional Philosopher and Theologian
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.