[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there good reference books about the evolution of french
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
Are there good reference books about the evolution of french military in late middle ages/ early renaissance ?

I'd like to know everything from equipment/weapons used to tactics and strategies, but also structural reforms and organizations.

I know about the compagnies d'ordonnance for example and would like to know more about it, and also how the firearms changed the battlefield and armies adpated to it.
>>
File: Warkworth_Castle's_keep,_2007.jpg (658 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Warkworth_Castle's_keep,_2007.jpg
658 KB, 3008x2000
>>1154801
Look, not an expert, but I'm well-read. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the tactics of medieval armies of Europe only changed when technological advances required one. Tactics were stagnant otherwise. Why change? Sure, some brilliant commanders came up with clever ambushes and sieges, but those usually lived and died with that commander or became the new standard.
>>
>>1154801
I meant to add that you should specifically look into books on technological advances to really get a feel for why the tactics changed. Think gunpowder. That changed the game, sure. But that wasn't it. Guns were firing stones back then, if they were firing at all, or if the commander even thought them useful!
>>
>>1154815
That's why Im interested in this period. The development of firearms and the political restructuration of the kingdom must have affected its military. And the technological innovations must be interesting as well
>>
>>1154815
>doesn't know anything about medieval military doctrine
>i guess it was stagnant lol

Kindly fuck off
>>
>>1154801
The first Compagnies d'Ordonnances weren't a great innovation who completly changed warfare. It was more the King deciding that he had enough of mercenaries ruining his countryside, and so decided to make sure they would had a stable, permanent pay.

Now, what are the real, incredible changes of the french military that allowed the country to win the Hundred Years War ?
You need to read books about Jean Bureau and his brother, who created the modern french artillery.

The problem is, most studies are written in french, it's complicated to find english books about the french military.

"Histoire de l'ancienne infanterie française", from general Louis Susanne, was a really good book about the french footsoldiers of the middle ages and early Renaissance. It was a really complete study, like for exemple, it precisely described how the francs-archers were paid 4 francs per effective combat day, were armed with padded jacks and helmet and how they were meant to be organized once called upon by the King.
>>
>>1154801
Firearms were not the majority right until the 1500s and I don't think they formed a majority until 1515-1520. Cannons were a different story and the King of France blew a shitload of money on those.

Do you want to look at the latter part of the 100 years war or only post Castillon France?

Here is a good book that covers the Italian wars a bit:

https://boydellandbrewer.com/subject/modern-history/renaissance-france-at-war-hb.html
>>
>>1154821
I believe the earliest mention of lead or cast iron ammunition is mid 15th century but i'd have to check my sources on that.

The thing is that the period 1450-1520 is an absolute clusterfuck of gunpowder weapons where wrought iron guns stood alongside bronze ones, where matchlock weapons were used next to handgonnes and where ammunition was not standardized. On top of that most weapons only got relatively vague names so at one point a culverin is like a heavy handgun and other times it's a fucking cannon.

There is an osprey book on handgonnes which covers this a little but if you want to go more into depth than I recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Artillery-Burgundy-1363-1477-Armour-Weapons/dp/1843831627
>>
>>1155942
Great thank you that's exactly the kind of book I'm interested in and no problem [spoiler]I'm french[/spoiler]

>>1155964
>Do you want to look at the latter part of the 100 years war or only post Castillon France?

I'm interested in both, I take everything. Thanks

>>1155977
Yeah that was my impression as well I've looked up a bit about the arquebuses and muskets and the names become blur very fast and designate a shitload of different things
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.