[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why the Japanese did Nanking? Didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 306x143) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 306x143
Can someone explain to me why the Japanese did Nanking?

Didn't they have a whole lifestyle based off of "honor"?
>>
In the Japanese mind, Chinese people weren't human.

It's what happens when you're an isolated, collectivist society with no democratic institutions.
>>
>>1154303
Only when people are looking.
>>
>>1154303
Chinese aren't humans :^)

t. Yamamato Tojo Nakajima Mitsubishi Nambu
>>
>>1154303
Easy, they did it because they could.
>>
>>1154303
Honor is a relationship between a senior and new soldier. Between the leader of the country and the soldier.

"Fighting with honor" means fighting for your country, your leader. It was only degenerate, later forms of the concept of honor (for example pistol dues) which said it was some stupid idea bout comprimising your own chances to win so the other side will feel good.
>>
>>1154303
A bunch of factors. One, and this is rarely talked about is the whole 'muh honor' thing was based around a small clique of military officers from wealthy families.

The Japanese Army Officers, as a whole, fucking hated the Japanese Soldier. The Japanese army was, without a doubt, the worst army to serve in during the second world war. People meme hard about Soviet brutality towards their own troops, but that was limited in comparison, and unlike the Japanese, actually extended to the officer corps, and when it came to the actual troops, you had to be charged with some sort of actual offense by the commissar. In the Japanese army, you could be caned, whipped or hotboxed basically because your officer was a dick. Most officers were dicks.

And so you have an institution that relies on unyielding, unidirectional violence as the basis of discipline. Soldiers act as their officers do. Shit rolls downhill. If you've experienced years of torture or the threat of torture for any sign of resistance, guess how you respond when told to put down lethal resistance?
>>
>>1154342
navy was chill af tho
>>
>>1154349
Nah, Navy had this going on too. If you ever get your hands on it, Saburo Sakai describes in his memoirs:

>The petty officers would not hesitate to administer the severest beatings to recruits they felt deserving of punishment. Whenever I committed a breach of discipline or an error in training, I was dragged physically from my cot by a petty officer.

>Stand tall to the wall! Bend down, Recruit Sakai!" he would roar. "I am not doing this because I hate you, but because I like you and want you to make a good seaman. Bend down!"

>And with that he would swing a large stick of wood and with every ounce of strength he possessed would slam it against my upturned bottom. The pain was terrible, the force of the blows unremitting. There was no choice but to grit my teeth and struggle desperately not to cry out. At times I counted up to forty crashing impacts into my buttocks. Often I feinted from the pain. A lapse of consciousness constituted no escape however. The petty officer simply hurled a bucket of cold water over my prostrate form and bellowed for me to resume position, whereupon he continued his discipline until satisfied I would mend the errors of my ways.
>>
>>1154342

Meanwhile, a probable factor was that there was an asshole Royal Prince who supersedes the general's orders despite being subordinate to him.

Prince Asaka was such a shit even Hirotito didn't like him. Wiki says he might have been an aggravating factor for Nanjing.

I'd really like to know more.
>>
>>1154373
Is it bad i got an erection reading this?
>>
>>1154373
dunno man physical punishment was a pretty popular thing in navies for a while
the brits were big fans nad the jappo navy were angloboos of the highest degree
>>
>>1154391
Nah. I've been aroused by worse reading history.
>>
>>1154303
Nanking is overrated.

Unit 731 though, now that is badass.
>>
>>1154401
Lashings were suspended in the Royal Navy in 1881, and Birching required a court martial starting in 1906.
>>
>Didn't they have a whole lifestyle based off of "honor"?
>Implying the Japanese Empire's military wasn't literally used to slaughter the samurai and kill the active, legitimate practice of bushido
>Implying genuinely honor-based culture and modernity are compatible
>>
>>1154303
http://ejmas.com/jalt/jaltart_friday_0301.htm

Relevant
>>
File: 1447985956685.jpg (44 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1447985956685.jpg
44 KB, 480x600
>>1154403
Seconded.
>>
>>1154303
Why? It's called bloodlust.
Refer to >>1154310 comment. It's similar to the dehumanization of "Gooks" during the Vietnam War.
ISIS does it today but in a "God said so" kinda way. Man will use whatever excuse he has available to justify the BRUTAL slaughter of his enemy when seized with bloodlust.

It's a thrill that you can get no other way.
>>
>>1154342
>>1154373
What lead to such a shitty officer corps in the Japanese military?
>>
>>1154303
Explain to you why the Japanese did what?
>>
But when did this thing change? I mean, in the battle of tsushima, some boats picke up russsian lifeboats, and when the POW-sailors were released from japan, they got 3 differents sorts of tea as a farewell gift.

During that time the officers also made bicycle trips to the surrounding countryside
>>
>>1154303
because people will do stupid shit with minimal coercing.
>>
>>1154303
IMPRYING CHINK AND GOOK ARE HUMAN BEING
I BET YOU ARSO TAKE IT IN ASSHORE RIKE RITTRE GIRR

NANKING BEST CATTRE DRIVE IN ARR NIPPON HISTORY BAKA GAIJIN
>>
>>1154969

IIRC japs were also noted to treat their german POWS well in WW1, the change of attitude/ brutalization of their military began in the 30s due to political and economical turmoil and radicalization within the officer corps.
>>
Same reasons why armies rape and kill after capturing cities since ancient times. Extracting revenge and trying to break down the enemy's will to resist.
>>
>>1154303
Nothing more honorable than victory.
>>
Why do Asians hate each other so much more than any other neighboring countries in other places in the world? Even today they see their neighbors as subhumans ans scum. Why is that?
>>
>>1154303

It was the Chinese trying to insight hatred against the Japs.
>>
>>1155220
What political turmoil?

Wasn't the the Army and Navy already in control of Japan? Didn't Imperial Japan's constitution basically needed a strong monarch to control the military, and keep parliament afloat since it didn't have backing from the military and couldn't issue civil control on it?
>>
A shit load of pent up anger from the horribly military upbringing of the Japanese soldiers.

Or they're just huge cunts
>>
For the Japanese, someone who surrendered instead of fighting till death was a person without honor and subhuman. It's also why they treated POW's so bad.
>>
>>1154303
check this thread OP

https://desustorage.org/his/thread/283168/#283205
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 336x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 336x500
>>1155386
East Asians mostly hate Japan because of occupation from 1910-1945.

Korea's hate for Japan dates back to 16th century or before because of pirate raids. Japan would kill and take back Korean noses and ears as trophies and also kidnap artists causing Korea to think Japan has stolen a lot of their culture.

China's hate is more recent but based mostly on manchurian occupation. Nanking massacre is still very sensitive subject and so is Unit 731. After Shinzo Abe took this pic in a Japanese jet a few years ago the Chinese went batshit and made all kinds of threats
>>
>>1155722
DO IT AGAIN ABE
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 696x561) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 696x561
>>1155722

Abe is master of taunting China. A few years ago reporters were asking about the Japan occupation and his answer was that Japan has created suffering in ww2 but he did not agree with the national apology Japan issued in 1995. Then he said that Japan didn't commit "aggression" during the war.

“The definition of aggression has yet to be established in academia or in the international community,” The policy chief for Abe’s later said that Abe also disagreed with the allied tribunal that found 14 wartime leaders guilty of war crimes.

#makejapangreatagain
>>
>>1155765
That's some fucked up shit Abe.
>>
>>1155672
I've understood that the factionism was still very much in effect. Yeah, they were all xenophobic super-patriots, but they had disagreements on things like where to invade next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_by_assassination
>>
>>1155672
>What political turmoil?

Like the poster above me pointed out, while the military already had a significant presence in Japanese decision making, they truly rose to power in the thirties sue to various factors, including attempted coups by radical officers unhappy with the state of the nation, most significant of which was the February 26 Incident in 1936. All the attempts failed, but because of them Japan ended up being run by the military anyway.
>>
The soldiers who attacked Nanking were undisciplined reserves who had just come out of a long and exhausting battle in Shanghai, and were sent to march over to Nanking with very badly organised supply lines. this was because the army, as opposed to the government and the navy, was not interested in continuing the war to the south and instead wanted to protect Japan against the Soviets up north. That's why they invested very little energy in planning the campaign and sent only second rate troops. the exhausted undisciplined soldiers were then let loose upon the enemy's capital city and the officers let them do as they pleased. This combined with an ideology of Japanese superiority and a militarist code of values led to total massacre
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.