[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how the fuck can the ottomans pull hundred thousands men out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
how the fuck can the ottomans pull hundred thousands men out of their asses everytime /his/? it seems like in every battle they always won with huge numbers and huge casualities even though the enemy killed shitloads of them. where did these all these manpower come from? how did their logistics work with these huge ass armies?
>>
Turks love to fight.
>>
I guess you get lazy and brute force after your empire has access to tons of territories with people available to enlist as troops
>>
>>1153477
arent their empires full of non-turks and non-muslims? how did they get these people to fight for them? and how did they supply their 100.000+ armies everytime?
>>
>>1153482
>how did they supply their 100.000+ armies everytime?
they didn't. numbers are exaggerated. Ottoman lands weren't as densely populated as central Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Ottoman_Empire
also check Timariot system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timariot
basically, if you hold lands, you must provide soldiers to army, based on your income.
>>
>>1153482
Kidnap male children as tax on infidels
>>
>>1153482
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries
>>
>>1155510
>>1156250
Problem is the Janissaries never made up more than 10,000 or 20,000 fighting men.
>>
>>1156347
> The number of Janissaries grew from 20,000 in 1575, to 49,000 (1591), dropped to a low of 17,000 (1648), then rebounded to 135,000 in 1826
>>
>>1153482
>How did they get these people to fight for them?
Well for one thing, you should get your head out of the ARMY OF SLAAAAVES meme and consider the fact that being in the Ottoman army granted you perks like booty, bitches n whores (and boys) and possible position as an official even if you didn't have formal schooling.

To say nothing of all those FUCKING MIDDLE EASTERN MUSLIMS CONVINCED THAT THE PADISHAH IS THE DEFENDER OF SUNNI ISLAM.

Its one thing the Ex-Ottoman subject nation's nationalists brush away: the fact that shitloads of people have joined Ottoman wars and committed massacres willingly. You could talk about the Devshirme all you like, but you can't ignore Bashi Bazouks or Akinjis and the plenty of other volunteers fighting for the Ottomans.
>>
>>1156534
>Well for one thing, you should get your head out of the ARMY OF SLAAAAVES meme and consider the fact that being in the Ottoman army granted you perks like booty, bitches n whores (and boys) and possible position as an official even if you didn't have formal schooling.
Didn't people start bribing officials to take their children as Jannisaries?
>>
>>1156584
I dunno. Sauce?

As far as I know, while initially it was horrible, the Devshirme was seen as a best shot at a good life in the Empire. Since they didn't just take anyone.
>>
>>1156448
I said fighting men. The Janissary corp usually rose above the 20k mark in peacetime when bureaucrats and family nepotism inflated their ranks for prestige and privileges. In actual battles you'd rarely find so many Janissaries, and by the time you might the institution was already open and dominated by Muslim recruits, not from the defunct Devshirme.
>>
>>1153473
this pretty much. Look WW1 or Indepence war
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.