[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /His/ just signed up for an archeology course at university.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20160427-WA0008.jpg (45 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160427-WA0008.jpg
45 KB, 512x384
Hey /His/ just signed up for an archeology course at university. What am I in for?
>>
>going to college
You already fucked up
>>
>>1152764
this
>2016
>falling for the education meme
>>
Like what are the lectures interesting? Or how are the laboratories?
>>
>>1152791
Thinking education is a meme is probably the most retarded meme conceived. It's no wonder you can't go to college if you think that worthless degrees represent education as a whole.
>>
>>1152751
you should really ask the person who runs the course rather than us
>>
The modern field of archeology is dominated by 3 groups

1.) We Wuz Kings. The dominant field in modern Western archaeology, based on connecting all human and pre-modern history to Sub-Sahara Africa.

2.) Biblical-ancient near east. A rapidly shrinking field but still dominant that researches the Ancient Known World/Biblical-era. From Sumeria, Mesopotamia, Hitties and Israelite's, all that stuff.

3.) People who obsess over Dinosaurs. Usually fat aging white hippies in ponytails. They're pretty fun guys and will take you on some great trips.

Since about 2010ish as with most university subjects in general (even STEMs), archeology has been heavily politicized and is becoming increasingly interchangeable with anthropology. Sub-Saharan African centrist revisionism, the effects of Imperialism on African civilization, and evidence of man-made global warming are becoming the dominant fields.
>>
>>1152751
not making a job in your field when you leave
>>
>>1153305
>People who obsess over Dinosaurs.
The first sentence in most introductory archaeology texts is something like "archaeologists do not dig up dinosaur bones."

Please stop posting on 4chan and put your head back in the oven where it belongs.
>>
>>1152751
homelessness
>>
>>1153345
this
>>1153305 has never set foot in an archaeology classroom, much less read an archaeology text
>>
>>1152751
Archaeology student here at a top UK university.
Very interesting, but may take a while to settle in. Make sure to properly read up on all your module choices before choosing, or you will get something you hate (I chose a prehistory module and regret it to this day).

>>1152903
Depends on your lecturer. Many can be dry and dull. The eccentric ones are the best.
Most labs are good fun, but there are a few soul destroying practical sessions... for me it was ceramics.
>>
Fuck all you assholes telling a man his degrees worthless, when you cucks haven't done shit with your shitty fucking lives. Get real dickweeds, the world doesn't care about your opinion.
>>
I've heard from people who used to do Archeology that its a lot of chemistry.
>>
>>1152751

to dig in the dirt and be denied water

learn how to squat
>>
>>1153305
Just to correct this awful shitpost:

"We wuz kings" translates roughly to "prehistoric archaeology." It tracks the change and movement of individual prehistoric cultures over time by analyzing their material culture which is mostly trash, but sometimes other artifacts and settlements. People do this all over the world, in the Americas, in Western Europe, in Bosnia (memes), you name it.

Most prehistoric archaeology is what's called "processual," which is an approach to archaeology that is sort of an anthropology/scientific method fusion. All of the methods they use are backed up by generally sound statistics (t. math major), and the methods they use are chosen so as to incorporate as little sample bias as possible.

>Biblical-ancient near east
What he was struggling to say is "classical archaeology," which studies objects left behind by classical cultures.

Unlike much of classical history which is mainly focused on the behavior of classical civilizations, classical archaeology is focused on trying to theorize what life was like for the average person in these cultures by interpreting the things they left behind.

>People who obsess over Dinosaurs
This is called paleontology and it has literally nothing at all to do with archaeology, except for some excavation and sampling techniques, I guess.

>Since about 2010ish blah blah blah
This is actual /pol/ bullshit and I'm not going to dignify it more than I already have the rest of this post.

In response to the OP, you should expect to learn from the course about sampling methods, some statistics, the processual philosophy and some introductory anthropology stuff (which is imo really cool) and the development of archaeology. The archaeology classes I took were some of the most fun I've had in college so far, so much so that I made it my minor. Have fun and good luck.
>>
>>1152751
something like raiders of the lost ark but with no hot chicks
>>
>>1152791
>falling for the postsecondary jew
lmao
>>
>>1154553
so like Tomb Raider, but instead of a busty woman, you're a fat neckbeard stealing ancient "we wuz" deel doughs.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.