[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT post your favorite obscure and/or short lived nations and empires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 64
File: Walrajala Empire.png (5 KB, 573x480) Image search: [Google]
Walrajala Empire.png
5 KB, 573x480
>>
>>1150761
you actually made me google it you fucker
>>
>>
>>1150761
Second Mexican Empire.
>>
File: Samos empire.png (90 KB, 303x750) Image search: [Google]
Samos empire.png
90 KB, 303x750
>>
>>1150776
Thats a goat flag
>>
File: PalmyreneEmpire.jpg (11 KB, 265x190) Image search: [Google]
PalmyreneEmpire.jpg
11 KB, 265x190
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmyrene_Empire
>>
File: Taiping2.png (307 KB, 910x675) Image search: [Google]
Taiping2.png
307 KB, 910x675
>>
File: We wuz.png (771 KB, 2000x1863) Image search: [Google]
We wuz.png
771 KB, 2000x1863
>>
File: Map_of_Republic_of_Ezo.png (61 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Republic_of_Ezo.png
61 KB, 1200x500
Republic of Ezo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ezo
>>
>>1150816
Same for me. Amazing how strong the Heavenly Kingdom became, nevermind their insane pseudo-Christianity.
>>
File: 175px-Flag_of_California.svg.png (10 KB, 175x117) Image search: [Google]
175px-Flag_of_California.svg.png
10 KB, 175x117
It was never gonna last. But it would have been beautiful ;_;
>>
File: west indies.png (56 KB, 397x716) Image search: [Google]
west indies.png
56 KB, 397x716
>>
File: khiva.png (67 KB, 310x781) Image search: [Google]
khiva.png
67 KB, 310x781
>tfw 95 years ago Khanates still existed
>>
>>1150924
400 years of fucking history. holy shit.
fuck 19th century imperialism so much.
>>
File: 1459343503143.gif (2 MB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
1459343503143.gif
2 MB, 400x299
>>1150934
>19th century imperialism
It was the soviets that fucked up this one
>>
>>1150908
NCR ? Yes

I don't see how a bunch of nogunz would last long anyway
>>
>>1150908
>Would have taken Canadas place as the Sweden of the Americas
Would have been shit
>>
>>1150979
>the Sweden of the Americas
A prosperous social democracy with one of the highest HDIs on earth?
Fuck yeah dude.
>>
>>1150771
>wanting to rule over Patagonia
Fuck that, more proof that France is the Rebecca Black of colonisation
>>
>>1150777
Small world huh.
>>
File: 1000px-BoerGriquaRepublics.svg.png (141 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1000px-BoerGriquaRepublics.svg.png
141 KB, 1000x500
>>1150761
J. R. R. Tolkein was born in the Orange Free State which also lasted the longest, most of the others didn't even last a decade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boer_Republics
>>
>>1151013
>prosperous
>social democracy
Contradiction in terms, eventually Scandinavia's natural resources will run out and the money will dry up with it.
>>
>>1151053
Eventually every country's natural resources will dry up and their prosperity will dry up with it, genius.
>>
>>1151063
Kek, tell that to Hong Kong, it's literally a rock in the middle of the sea with no natural resources except for a tiny bit of copper ore and yet their prosperity hasn't dried up, at least in part due to their lack of social democracy nonsense
>>
File: CSA.png (24 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
CSA.png
24 KB, 900x600
>>
>>1151082
>Hong Kong, it's literally a rock in the middle of the sea with no natural resources except for a tiny bit of copper ore and yet their prosperity hasn't dried up, at least in part due to their lack of social democracy nonsense
Holy shit lmao. Am I being rused here? Because if you're being serious Hong Kong is a massive international trade center you fucking spastic.
>>
>>1151097
What the fuck does that have to do with social democracy or lack thereof?
>>
>>1150782
>gallic empire
>>
>>1150770
Let me guess, some kind of obscure and unimportant tribe of shitskin ooga boogas that never did anything of report other than being pulled out of OP's ass so he could feel intellectually superior on 4chan?
>>
I don't understand why someone would say a historical nation is their favorite nation. Anyone care to explain some common criteria for favorite historical nations?
>>
>>1151191
A sympathy for their causes, romantic feelings towards their ideals or the way they fell, the circumstances that lead them to rose in the first place, sympathy for their leaders ... many reasons, actually.
>>
Karamanids because of their GOAT flag.
>>
>>1151013
Sweden sucks.
It was ruined by multiculturalism, Feminism and PC culture
t. swede
>>
File: space-asteroid-mining.jpg (652 KB, 3300x2100) Image search: [Google]
space-asteroid-mining.jpg
652 KB, 3300x2100
>>1151213
Well then I guess until a nation dedicates itself to the exploration, exploitation, and colonization of space or itself is a nation based in space I won't have a "favorite nation". All else seems like monkey's playing king of the hill.
>>
>>1151408
>All else seems like monkey's playing king of the hill

>If I have two hills then I will finally be satisfied
>>
>>1150934
>>>/t/umblr
>>
>>1151418
>implying humans colonizing space is bad
It is beyond me why you would think that.
>>
>>1151423
I'm not saying saying it's bad, but I don't see why you value exploration and colonisation above all else.
>>
>>1150782
Thank you based Age Of Empire for teaching me about Palmyre.
>>
>>1151408
Space exploration will remain unfeasible until someone builds a space elevator/skyhook IMO, that being said basic economics would say that a near infinite supply of many of the most expensive natural resources like precious metals would radically alter and most likely cripple the entire world's economy
>>
>>1151433
What other objective way is there to serve our species and have the greatest impact on the universe at large? Thinking anything else is more important is due to tunnel vision.
>>
>>1151443
Reusable rockets will be significantly cheaper than all previous rockets.

>silver destroyed the Spanish economy meme
Getting more valuable resources we can make use of is never bad. By "destroy the economy" you mean devalue the fortunes of an elite few.
>>
>>1151445
It depends on what time frame you're thinking of, and I think other issues closer to home, might be more important in the near future (100's-1000's of years).
>>
File: newt-gingrich-moon-colony.jpg (87 KB, 518x500) Image search: [Google]
newt-gingrich-moon-colony.jpg
87 KB, 518x500
>>1151443
we had our chance in 2012
we blew it
>>
>>1151450
>It depends on what time frame you're thinking o
We are already running out of time. We currently have an abundance of cheaply available fossil fuels propping up the global economy. Once they are gone we will be less able explore, exploit, and colonize space. That is unless some miraculous technology comes around, something we don't have the luxury to assume will happen. To assume future generations will magically solve the problems we were too lazy to solve with old fashioned grit is shameful.
>>
>>1151449
>an elite few.
If by "an elite few" you mean pretty much every nation on earth and by proxy every person on earth, do you have any idea how important precious metal bullion is to world economy?
>>
>>1151454
Why can't Republicans ever nominate the good guy?
>>
>>1151469
Ignore him, he's a pinko faggot who thinks making everyone equally poor and miserable is a good thing
>>
>>1151228
You should get out more.
>>
File: rhodesia-flag.png (26 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
rhodesia-flag.png
26 KB, 540x360
>>1150761
;)
>>
>>1151469
Dude, the average person will gain a whole hell of a lot more by having cheap platinum then they will lose from having their meager platinum stocks devalued. The world economy would see a net benefit. Only a few people involved in terrestrial platinum mining would be worse off.

The idea that more resources is a bad thing is absurd.
>>
>>1151472
wew
>>
File: Swedish_bus_stop.jpg (64 KB, 960x699) Image search: [Google]
Swedish_bus_stop.jpg
64 KB, 960x699
>>1151473
>swede
>get out
>>
>>1150979
It really only became that because of being part of the US. Had it stayed independent it probably would have just been like Texas.
>>
>>1151478
Only rich countries will do space mining. Space ressources extractors would be extremely dumb to sell what they get for less than the current price, since they'd have to invest billions first to actually get the product

As long as Earth doesn't run out of the needed materials for electronics (which shouldn't happen at all if those billions were actually used for recycling them), it would be absurd to go fetch precious materials just to sell them at a discount price, which is why space ressource extracting will never ever be done for the next centuries. Companies don't do humanitarism.
>>
>>1151514
>Space ressources extractors would be extremely dumb to sell what they get for less than the current price, since they'd have to invest billions first to actually get the product
That is flat out wrong though. The whole point of space mining is that current and future mineral prices are inflated by scarcity and that space has ridiculous amounts of the stuff. Some asteroids have more precious metals than have EVER been mind in human history.
>>
>>1151473
Let me guess you live in like central Stockholm or something
>>
>>1151491
I knew finns were this bad, but I thought swedes were slightly less autistic.
>>
>>1151477
My mate, same here.
>>
>>1151521
And the companies are well aware of the fact that scarcity gets ruined the moment they bring the meteor back. It means that either
- they keep the, for instance, platinum, at the current high price, because they want to do a profit. The world doesn't benefit at all from the situation. It's unlikely that it happens, since scarcity would suddenly disappear, meaning:
- they sell platinum for a low price. The $2.9 trillions that the platinum would give become $2 millions, there's no profit but the world becomes a better place. No company wants that.
You also need only so much platinum in the world. Since the current reserve is well enough to cover everyone's needs (even poor people have smartphones), unless they bring the meteor back for a specific project (space exploration for instance) they just spent billions for 2000 tons of platinum nobody wants
>>
>>1151158
look for yourself
>>
>>1151558
I don't even care if people want silly amounts of personal space, but waiting for a bus like that is a waste of diesel.
>>
>>1151568
>The $2.9 trillions that the platinum would give become $2 millions
This is ridiculous. You are a being ridiculous and you know it.

Furthermore, precious metals have more applications than you realize and those applications will grow when such metals become cheaper.
>>
>>1151572
I imagine they start approaching each other when the bus actually gets there. Like an accordion made of autists being pushed on the side furthest away from the stop.
>>
>>1151593
I suppose so. The bus driver just has to stop at the sign and leave if no one approaches. That will cure their autism pretty quickly.
>>
>>1151470
He's likely to be Trump's running mate.
>>
>>1151470
We are this time
>>
>>1150782
Isn't that shit the reason the Romans didn't wreck the sassanids?
>>
>>1151602
>Then Trump will truly be the emperor of mankind guiding us into space
>>
>>1151568
A space mining company only cares about shareholder benefit. If they can get an asteroid and profit from it, they'll do it and society will benefit
>>
>>1151572
He doesn't pick them up one by one you dumb shit.
>>
>>1151602
>>1151606
But Trump is a xenophobe with no knowledge of international relations who will ultimately run America's international cooperation into the ground and only increase rivalries abroad.

Having someone from a southern state who supports space exploration as president would be good, like Marco Rubio, but having one as a VP is all but pointless.
>>
>>1151591
>This is ridiculous
You just said the price of the metal was inflated by scarcity. Bringing several hundreds of times the total amount of that metal extracted means the end of scarcity, hence the immense decrease of price.

>more applications than you realize
Such as?
>>
>>1151611
Please no bully, Swedish senpai.
>>
>>1151615
>hence the immense decrease of price

What if they just horde it like diamonds?
>>
File: Trump Chuckle.jpg (20 KB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
Trump Chuckle.jpg
20 KB, 460x259
>>1151613
>Marco Rubio
>Corporate establishment whores and neocons
>Good
>>
>>1151491
Why do foreigners find this weird?
Fucking normies can't handle the nordic autism
>>
File: Albigensian states.jpg (116 KB, 1133x772) Image search: [Google]
Albigensian states.jpg
116 KB, 1133x772
Im a sucker for the albigensian states.
Would have been a really interesting culture, if they would have managed to survive.

>>1150770
I did it as well, I should have known better then to expect abbos to achieve something.
Now, they even had contact to seafaring muslim malays who traded seacucumbers with them and stayed at their shores for a while.

They didnt even adapt the Malai tech even though relations were friendly!
>>
>>1151615
But whatever precious metal you would bring would still add greatly to the total market price of the global platinum, not decrease it.

If you have two gold nuggets together worth $100 and I introduce ten gold nuggets, the total price of gold doesn't go down nor does it merely stay $100. It significantly goes up. Inflation merely means the total price of all our nuggets doesn't reach $600.

Precious metals are very useful for alloying, for resisting rusting and tarnishing, as catalysts, in biosensors, circuitry, and even anti-bacterial underwear just to name a few off the top of my head. Currently people have to use sub-optimum alternatives due to the price of some of these metals. That would be fixed by greatly increasing the supply of such metals.
>>
File: 1430016445969.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1430016445969.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>1151629
>Corporate establishment whore
>implying Trump is the solution
It's like replacing a satanist with literal Satan or a communist with Karl Marx.
>>
>>1151622
Since the demand isn't that high industries could actually boycott them and get what they need at the others companies until the space extractors understand that they're going to get bankrupt if they don't decrease it
But if the space extractors were the only platinum providers on Earth then yes they could hoard it (unless there's a public outcry). It would be however a bit pointless to spend billions to sell it at the same price at the end (demand isn't going to skyrocket because you have a lot of the product)

>>1151610
They know it'll be an unreliable operation provoking an unknown variation of price, for an extraction of a very high cost. Shareholders like money, but above that they love money at a minimal risk
>>
>>1151613
>muh space

Nobody cares, waste of taxpayer money.
>>
>>1151652
>Implying having a president who isn't bought up by corporations isn't good in the long run.
>Impling the corporate shills and their "overlords" don't hate him
>>
>>1151640
>albigensian states

That doesnt make sense
>>
File: 1463165479709.gif (871 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1463165479709.gif
871 KB, 245x230
>>1151676
>big business is bad so let's elect the head of a big business
>>
>>1151660
>I hate humanity.
Then off yourself.
>>
>>1151682
it's not necessarily bad. It's just bad that most of them want to globalize the market, Outsource jobs to China and/or import cheap workers from latin america. Trump is a protectionist. He is also against more wars in the middle east and he's isn't against Putin.
>>
>>1151629
>Implying Trump isn't a puppet either.
>>
>>1151682
>Head of big business
No thats Soros and the Goldman sachs
>>
>>1151644

Well yes the total value will go up, but it'll be inversely proportional to the amount of metal brought. If the 10 nuggets are worth $500, maybe 30 will be worth $700, and 20 000 $1000, which will mean your ruin if your extraction cost price doesn't go down.

>alloying, for resisting rusting and tarnishing, as catalysts, in biosensors, circuitry, and even anti-bacterial underwear just to name a few off the top of my head
Does Earth needs 20 000 tons of these more than they actually have of high quality material? For the same price as what we already have, since you claim no change of price?

I don't get it: if you say the price of platinum isn't going to decrease, why would people use it more after the platinum meteor comes to Earth? They'll still use the shitty, cheaper alternatives.
>>
Anyone who has more money than some nations should count as having conflicting interests and not be eligible to be President. It's the same concept as being born in another country. Someone born in another country may not have the stones to declare war on that country, similarly someone who owns a huge company may not have the stones to harm that company for the sake of America.
>>
>>1151087
No offense to the Dixiebros but the CSA was never recognised as a sovereign nation by any other country on earth
>>
>>1151724
>it'll be inversely proportional to the amount of metal brought
What will be inversely proportional? Are you screwing up your mathematical terms?

I don't even know what you are arguing anymore. It sounds like
>we may benefit from space mining, but we don't NEED it, see, I can subsist off this grain of rice!
>all the gold is currently worth $8.2 trillion so obviously space mining won't be worth it if it what they mine is only worth $5 trillion... obviously

>I don't get it: if you say the price of platinum isn't going to decrease, why would people use it more after the platinum meteor comes to Earth? They'll still use the shitty, cheaper alternatives.
Okay, you seem genuinely confused, so let me try to lay it out for you. The price per lbs of a metal will go down, but the total value of all of the metal in the market will go up. The company introducing all the metal into the market will gain the largest market share of this growing supply. So if the market is worth $8.2 trillion and you double it, the value may go up to $12 trillion, and you owning half of the market will have made $6 trillion, simply put.
>>
>>1151678
why?
They were a bunch of dukedoms with an own distinct culture of governing, spoke an own language native to southern france and made an alliance for like a 100 years or so due to sharing a wacky ass synthesis of christianity and buddhism.

I think that counts as state/federation or some medieval equivalent to that.
>>
File: 1428410148928.jpg (121 KB, 720x609) Image search: [Google]
1428410148928.jpg
121 KB, 720x609
>>1151636
We Dutch do exactly the same desu
>>
>>1151711
Globalization is good. It gives jobs to foreigners and gives cheaper goods to Americans. The world sees a net benefit. The only problem is that it screws up how American wage slaves put bread on the table. That is why the government needs to provide a safety net and why the average American needs to save to give their kid a college education so they can compete in a post-industrial economy. America becomes the manager and innovator for the world economy while industrializing nations become the producers.
>>
>>1151798
>muh cheap goods
kill yourself shill.
God i hate american libtards
>>
File: smug anime girl.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>1151811
>this nonargument
>>
>>1151798
The problem is this safety net turns people into an angry, bored underclass who feel wronged by the government and corporations that took their jobs.
>>
>>1151774
>inversely proportional
As in "the more you increase the lesser the value of the increase is", so inversely proportional.

For the rest of your post: yes, this is precisely what we don't agree on.
You think the decrease of price will be small enough that selling the metal will still cover the extraction costs, I think that bringing more than a hundred times the total reserve of extracted metal in the market is going to decrease the price so low that it won't cover them. It all depends on the total value of the market increasing more than the extraction and R&D costs.

On that we can only speculate, but every mining corporation in the world tends to be as pessimistic as me on that
>>
>>1151640
I live there. Lot of cool and comfy places, neat castles, top tier food specialities.
>>
File: 1456842344065-his.jpg (30 KB, 293x567) Image search: [Google]
1456842344065-his.jpg
30 KB, 293x567
>>
>>1151830
This is a reasonable concern and is a cultural battle handled by reinforcing American work ethic and shaming those who incessantly mooch off the system. The only real way policy can reduce the parasitism is by excluding certain luxury goods from benefits and by taking away benefits due to unproductive behavior such as drug use and not putting out job applications. Making education cheaper would help as well.
>>
>>1151798
Dont you think foreigners can make their own jobs?
>>
>>1151846
One hundred times? Who ever said one hundred times? And even if there was a rock with that much metal, it would be a good thing because that means you get even more value despite upfront cost. No matter how how you slice it, the company makes a huge profit.

>On that we can only speculate, but every mining corporation in the world tends to be as pessimistic as me on that
So were a lot of people about the global sea spice trade. It's pretty obvious that the main hurdle is simply refining our ability to get people and hardware into space reliably, and that is exactly what is happening and will continue to happen so long as we keep funding the exploration of space. It will happen even quicker if we put more money into exploration. Just look at SpaceX and their intended launch costs. With enough effort we very well might establish a permanent industrial foothold before peak oil hits, which would be great because by that point our species would be all but immortal. Having all that industrial equipment in space will decrease the cost of further industry in space until it is self sustaining.
>>
>>1151885
Uh, yeah, and they are, because they are the global producers and we the global innovators and managers.
>>
>>1151105
He's saying that them being a social democracy or not is totally irrelevant to position as a global center for finance. You'd be a retard to go to say, Wyoming, and then try to drastically lower business tax in order to make it a "new HK."
>>
>Holy
>>
>>1151921
Not really involved in this discussion but your post sounds reasonable.
>>
>>1151443
t. Salt miner
>>
>>1151915
Nah, imagine a bunch of isolationist but poor nations wont loose all their brains to rich neighboors while their lower class is busy in the sweatshops making products for foreigners but instead their more gifted and educate citizens invest in smaller local businesses employing the lower classes who ow produce for their own country.
(They may not be able to consume much, but even in the pisspoor slums of India you will find food vendors and small markets selling what has been recycled from the firstworld trash.)

This may lead to a slow but organic growth of lasting prosperity without having to suffer under the turmoil of population exchanges which can cost money due to creating friction and all to great dependence on foreign markets that might turn hostile.
>>
>>1150934
2500 years of fucking history, holy shit
Fuck turkroach scum so much
>>
>>1151830
But without a safety net you get an angry, bored violent underclass that now has to resort to crime to survive.
>>
>>1151985
>poor nations wont loose all their brains to rich neighboors
What brains? China has a huge demand for managers, and that's not even counting the American companies that manage factories in China from American home offices.

>creating friction and all to great dependence on foreign markets that might turn hostile
Wat? If anything the global market eases tensions. No one wants to start WW3 because it wouldn't be profitable to blow up the nations making your cheep goods or mining precious metals for you.
>>
>>1152019
>implying Constantinople didn't only become relevant during the ottoman reign
>>
>>1152021
Just put the 99 percent in prison. Problem solved.

inb4
>but then who will do all the menial tasks?
Easy. Make the prisoners do their part and contribute to society. Make prisons work camps, the lazy bastards.
>>
>>1152037
That's how you get a violent uprising anon
>>
>>1152055
What? No. That's what the police are for. If the police are poorly equipped then we make the slave class build bigger guns for them to kill those who resist. This is how we make America great again.
>>
>>1152037
>>1152065
Sounds like the Roman Empire.
>>
>>1150761
Axum is underrated imo.

My interest though is Chinese history and I'm particularly interested in periods of disunity. I like to study the dynasties that were unstable or short-lived, but nonetheless could be highly important. Stuff like the "10 kingdoms" in the interim between Tang and Song, Northern Wei, Cheng Han, Han-Zhao, Ran Min's genocidal attempt at making North China great again, etc.
>>
File: 1445959568246.jpg (188 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1445959568246.jpg
188 KB, 600x450
>>1152036
>>
>>1152024
>brains
Well, they educate people who get invested in through education (people who are able to become managers are rare after all.)only to loose them in great numbers because their life and assets sit more comfortable in a country that already went through the phase of creating a strong middleclass.
The same happens in countries such as romania and india, all their more educated ones try to fuck off asap to a wealthier state because their own middleclass is yet too thin.
(even though they should be addding to it.)

War in general seems inprofitable if you think about it (as long as your enemy/victim state isnt incredible weak but wealthy at the same time.)
People still bash their heads in, look at russia lashing out brutally now that it feels threatened by sanctions (which only hurt because they are dependent on foreign consumers.) the middle east or the paki-india relations.

War simply adapts to the new conditions, expect a fuck ton of more low-intensity conflicts in the future and civil-interethnic warfare as opposed to the old nation vs nation conflicts.
>>
>>1152156
Okay, well, it sounds like you are agreeing with me now.
>>
>>1152173
We are?
Maybe I just lost focus on my initial point of disagreement, you simply dont have time anymore for posting or I am a bit dense at the moment and dont understand what we were heading into here.
>>
>>1152258
I was saying that industrializing nations produce while post industrial countries like America innovate and manage. In you last post you weren't really disagreeing with any of my points, you were just adding to them, like how China finds it hard to hold on to educated individuals or how there are how conflicts still exist, which I never claimed didn't.
>>
>>1152268
Ah I see.
I should have formulated my initial question better.
Isnt it unhealthy for an industrialisazing nation to loose to many of its brighter heads to postindustrial ones, as that will slow done its rise to an industrial nation and beyond?

Im under the impression that the current model of globalisation will create a lasting divide between providing countries and consuming/innovating ones which could turn out ugly in many ways if antagonisation between the two camps should take place.
>>
>>1152358
>Isnt it unhealthy for an industrialisazing nation to loose to many of its brighter heads to postindustrial ones, as that will slow done its rise to an industrial nation and beyond?
Lose? A lot of Chinese factories are managed by American companies. The influx of educated individuals, as you said yourself, goes both ways. China is trying to pay American managers and engineers to come to specifically Chinese corporations while China's best and brightest come to America to receive an education, many of which simply stay in America.

>Im under the impression that the current model of globalisation will create a lasting divide between providing countries and consuming/innovating ones which could turn out ugly in many ways if antagonisation between the two camps should take place.
No, not antagonists. The global interdependancce is a good thing for gobal stability. However there is the concern that the world will become stratified, with some nations having all the high paying innovative and managerial jobs and all the industrial jobs being stuck in nations that can never reach the post-industrial level. There is also the concern that when all the other countries reach post-industrial levels there would be no one to produce anything, and therefore previously post-industrial countries will have to regain their industry, but if that ever happens then we will have successfully developed all of humanity to the same relative level, which isn't so much a failure as it is a complete success.
>>
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 280x180
/his/ doesn't know about Moresnet?
>>
File: 6. neutraal moresnet 1912.jpg (135 KB, 800x506) Image search: [Google]
6. neutraal moresnet 1912.jpg
135 KB, 800x506
>>1152461
>>
>>1150871
BRUNET
R
U
N
E
T
>>
File: flower map.jpg (358 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
flower map.jpg
358 KB, 500x394
>>1152398
I dont know anything which would go against your first proposal/opinion besides Trump's claims (which I only glossed over swiftly) that the economical china-america relations wouldnt be mutually beneficial, but that may be populism.
So ok, america and china managed to bypass the braindrain with china simply substituting american upperclass jobs in its companies through the state.
I didnt know that, seems like a good idea.

In the old world, as in the europe, africa, asia triangle I failed yet to notice many of such absolutely beneficial tradeoffs yet, which makes me highly sceptical of full globalisation as a mean for universal prosperity and stability atm.
We are basically just trying to fuck each other over constantly by exploiting the various dependencys created by economic globalisation.
>>
>>1150761
Theodoric the Greats Gothic/Aryan realm.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 2283x1810) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 2283x1810
>>1150761
This one
>>
File: Cucktales.png (1 MB, 1050x810) Image search: [Google]
Cucktales.png
1 MB, 1050x810
>>1151013
Sure
>>
>>1150829
Ethiopia, Songhai and Mali aren't really obscure. They're fairly well documented.
>>
File: 1457446815067.gif (493 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1457446815067.gif
493 KB, 500x375
>>1152036
That's a good one
>>
>>1152525
HRE, the meme state.
>>
>>1152556
>the
>meme
>state
>>
>>1152019
The ones on the pic are not the same as the central-asians. These are mixed, while the Central Asians are Asians, looking like Mongols
>>
>>1152501
>So ok, america and china managed to bypass the braindrain with china simply substituting american upperclass jobs in its companies through the state.
I don't actually know what role the Chinese government is playing in bringing over managers from America and Europe. I've simply heard that you can get a substantial pay increase if you are willing to work in China. That may simply be the work of Chinese business execs.

>We are basically just trying to fuck each other over constantly by exploiting the various dependencys created by economic globalisation.
I don't recommend seeing the world strictly as nation-states competing. Humans compete and competition is generally good, but we compete on multiple levels. For example in a laissez faire world it is mostly companies competing irrespective of borders.

Corporations can exploit people in a purely laissez faire world by goading American workers to accept lower wages to compete foreign workers, so we have to look at the issue complexly. I guess at the heart of my posts is my disagreement with protectionism. In the same way your bodies cells specialize for the greater good of the whole, humanity can specialize for the greater good of the whole. If a nation has a surplus of uneducated workers and another has a surplus of academic institutions and college graduates then it makes sense for one nation to specialize in production and the other to specialize in innovation and management.
>>
>>1151615
RTD'S would be dirt cheap since platinums resistance is nearly linear it would and does have applications in nearly every industry.
>>
File: transcaucasia.jpg (65 KB, 279x871) Image search: [Google]
transcaucasia.jpg
65 KB, 279x871
Lasted a couple of months before the Georgians remembered they hated everybody else
>>
>>1151676
"I don't want to sell my car to Joe because he might let Bob drive it and I hate Bob... so I'll just sell my car to Bob."
>>
>>1152019
Tbh the Ottoman Empire wasn't really less Roman than Byzantium in 1453
>>
>>1152461
>>1152468
Holy shit, why have I never heard of this?
>>
File: Capture.png (50 KB, 253x692) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
50 KB, 253x692
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Eastern_Republic
>>
>>1150871
>you will never liberate the ainu from evil japanese oppressors
>>
File: postromankingdoms.png (140 KB, 449x149) Image search: [Google]
postromankingdoms.png
140 KB, 449x149
Get on my level.
>>
>>1151613
Fuck off with this bullshit meme
Telling illegal immigrants to fuck off and the only group of people in the world engaged in global terrorism we don't want you here isn't xenophobia
It's common sense
>>
>>1151408
>>>/sci/
>I won't have a "favorite nation". All else seems like monkey's playing king of the hill.
Tips fedora
>>
File: khazaria.jpg (85 KB, 833x466) Image search: [Google]
khazaria.jpg
85 KB, 833x466
Steppe jews best jews
>>
>>1152019
Were there really small arms in 1453?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-17-19-05-13.png (230 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-17-19-05-13.png
230 KB, 720x1280
That weird period after American people overthrew the Kingdom of Hawai'i but before they managed to get themselves adopted by the United States as the Territory of Hawai'i.
>>
File: smug_anime_girl.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
smug_anime_girl.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>>1153570
>this nonargument
>>
File: bulgar_stronk.png (826 KB, 2000x1912) Image search: [Google]
bulgar_stronk.png
826 KB, 2000x1912
>bulgaria had 2 empires
>your're garbage nation had none
>>
>>1150761
nice fake empire
>>
>>1153695
Holy fuck that's a lot of clay.

How did Bulgarians fell to irrelevancy?
>>
>>1151613
>xenophobe
>married a legal immigrant from a poor third-world country
>allowed his daughter to convert to Judaism so she could marry the man she loved
2/10 I replied
>>
>>1151652
>the corporate establishment is mostly comprised of billionaires
>therefore all billionaires are the literal embodiment corporate establishment
10/10 logic m8
>>
File: Kokand1850.png (100 KB, 1280x747) Image search: [Google]
Kokand1850.png
100 KB, 1280x747
:^)
>>
>>1153756
They were under turkish yoke for centuries and haven't been really relevant outside the Balkans since then. For balkanic standards they were top relevant during the 19th and early 20th though.
>>
>>1151781
They were under the kingdom of France for all that time.
>>
File: Map.TaipingTerritory.png (22 KB, 442x318) Image search: [Google]
Map.TaipingTerritory.png
22 KB, 442x318
It was too beautiful for this world
>it never graced Canton with its splendor
>>
>>1150777
>empire
>under a King
>>
>>1153763
>>1153767
MAKE MEMES GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>1151798
>>1151682
>big businesses are bad
>so let's use a system that gives big businesses as much power as possible and totally shuts out small profiters
>>
File: Kahuripan.jpg (33 KB, 700x312) Image search: [Google]
Kahuripan.jpg
33 KB, 700x312
>>1150761
Kahuripan. Easily. Airlangga was a fucking badass, his life practically sounds like a movie plot
>>
>>1153940
So you agree with >>1151682?
>>
File: 1462207830776.jpg (58 KB, 506x552) Image search: [Google]
1462207830776.jpg
58 KB, 506x552
>>1151477
>>
>>1153581
>obscure
>short lived
>>
>>1153991
Whether or not he's a businessman is irrelevant to his views. Localities and small businesses will profit more from his policies than they would under any of the other candidates.

Also it's laughable to say that the owner of a transnational business worth billions has no knowledge of international relations.
>>
File: 1434796581660.png (477 B, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1434796581660.png
477 B, 125x125
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couto_Misto
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_unrecognized_states_and_dependencies

Knock yourselves out.
>>
Soviet Republic of Soldiers and Fortress-Builders of Naissaar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Republic_of_Naissaar
>>
>>1151629
>believing Trump is a real candidate and not an division and distraction tactic by Shillary that went too far
WEW
FUCKING
LAD
>>
>>1151676
>implying they do hate him and it's not a show
c'mo'mate
>>
>>1154153
>Hillary had Trump act as a diversion tactic to ruin the primaries instead of just letting Jeb! win and then annihilating him in the general because he's the least likable Bush
people *actually* believe this
>>
>>1154153
Let me guess, he's a Democrat because he's a threat to the esatblishment of your precious political sports club
>>
>>1151158
I dunno m8, you seem to be doing a pretty good job of being smugly self-superior yourself.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Cornwall
Ancient kingdom of Cornwall.
>>
File: BNR.png (127 KB, 256x254) Image search: [Google]
BNR.png
127 KB, 256x254
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_People's_Republic
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Perm
>>
File: french empire 1812.png (262 KB, 1011x1024) Image search: [Google]
french empire 1812.png
262 KB, 1011x1024
>>
>>1151607
Actually, the opposite--the Sassinids, or the Persians in general, constantly wrecked the Romans whenever they could stop squabbling over succession and get behind a strong ruler. The Palmyrine empire arose to do what the Romans couldn't during the Crisis of the 3rd Century.
>>
>>1155879
The Persians never posed an existential threat to the Romans in the way that they did to them. The Palmyrene 'Empire' wasn't a non-Roman entity.
>>
>>1151607
No, most of the time the Palmyrans were vassals of the Romans who did a huge amount of heavy lifting fighting the Persians.
>>
>>1155882
>Theodoric the Greats

It was a separate government that the Romans saw fit to literally turn into the ruins ISIS just finished wrecking as soon as they could reassert themselves.

And yes, the Persians weren't an existential threat, but they nearly succeeded in taking Anatolia and Egypt twice.

If not for the Palmyrines using their trade wealth and client-Kingdom freedom to collectively protect the Roman East, you can bet the Persians would have taken Egypt, if only temporarily.

God King Aurelian probably could have taken it back before being stabbed to death while taking a piss.
>>
>>1150776
Friendly reminder Maxy got what he deserved
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland
>>
>>1154153
Trump was an inside job.

Teabaggers cannot melt steel primaries.
>>
>>1156610
>Northern English thought they were a kingdom
That's some high level muh heritage shit going on
>>
>>1151445
*tips fedora*
>>
>>1151652
>>1151682

It's more like electing a pitbull to tear down a pack of rottweilers. Once you're done you only have a pitbull to deal with
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_People%27s_Republic

The only true answer. First secural, democratic muslim majority country in the World. Too bad it lasted just 2 months
>>
>>1157463
That's stupid. Trump has eight years of tearing down the establishment and then he leaves. We don't have to "deal with him"
>>
>>1157013
>humans are a plague. they should stay bottled up in this hell hole where they won't curse another planet with their pestilent presence. CRAWLING-
>>
>>1151087
What an atrocious flag
>>
>>1151469
The vast majority of precious metal value is in jewelery.

This like saying the economy will collapse if we dind a cheap source of salt or aluminum.

Im guessing, you have way too much money tied up in gold.
>>
>>1151568
Commie chinese wouldn't care so long as they own the market.
>>
>>1153584

Yes, Ottomans were one of the first to widely adopt them.
>>
File: Piraha.jpg (80 KB, 646x440) Image search: [Google]
Piraha.jpg
80 KB, 646x440
>>1150761
These guys have a pretty neat language
>>
>>1152019
fuck off, Constantinople was in complete decline before its demise

stop pushing this le white man meme
>>
>>
>>1158891
This.

It blows my mind how many people think cheaper more abundant resources would be a bad thing for humanity.
>>
>>1161741
the way the eternal anglo handled Biafra really piss me off
>>
>>1156501
Fuck off Juarez
>>
I really want to visit some of these places that the world will look back on one day as a curious piece of land that somehow was independent for a couple years.

>Donetsk Peoples Republic
>West Papua
>South Ossettia
>Bougaineville
>Transnistria
>Abkhazia
>Nagorno Karabakh
>>
File: asd.png (38 KB, 295x525) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
38 KB, 295x525
>>
>>1154175
uh well I mean every mainstream democrat was celebrating when he did first enter and parodied the fuck out of him so um... okay??
>>
>>1153805
so the British empire didn't exist because it was not ruled an emperor/empress?
>>
>>1151613
>HURR DURR MUH SPACE
The age of NASA being necessary are over thanks to public companies being able to go to space for far cheaper than ever.
Also no one gives a shit about space, we've got shit here to worry about.
>>
File: LatinEmpire.png (2 MB, 1715x848) Image search: [Google]
LatinEmpire.png
2 MB, 1715x848
>>1150761

:*
>>
>>1150908
nigga it existed to join the us
>>
>>1164375
It was ruled by the emperor/empress of India, though.
>>
File: Sunyatsen1.jpg (714 KB, 1059x1462) Image search: [Google]
Sunyatsen1.jpg
714 KB, 1059x1462
>>1150934
2132 years of fucking imperial history. holy shit.
Fuck Sun Yat Sen so much.
>>
>>1154351
Dumnonia was better.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Soviet_Republic
>>
>>1151044
*Tolkien
Totally different pronunciation.
>>
>>1163557
they'll probably stick around forever.
Go to chernobyl before they pull the giant metal shield over the reactor forever.
>>
>>1151572
You walk to one of the two (or more if a longer bus) doors once it arrives. The trick is to estimate where the bus will stop so you get to enter first and dont end up in the back of the line that is bound to form.
>>
>>1151636
Americans are just butthurt, because even if they stood this far apart their bellies would still touch.
>>
B I A F R A
I
A
F
R
A

Lasted about 3 years and their airforce had... 2 bombers, 5 trainers with unguided rockets and a few others.

Fucking Nigeria starved them out.
>>
Republic of Kirjasalo. It existed very long considering that it was right next to Leningrad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ingria
>>
File: cuck.jpg (419 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
cuck.jpg
419 KB, 1200x1000
>>1152546
>>
File: República del Rif.png (186 KB, 1280x655) Image search: [Google]
República del Rif.png
186 KB, 1280x655
>>1150761
One that has not been posted is the Republic of the Riff. Enemies of both the imperial powers and the king of Morocco, and one of the only historical opportunities for berbers to have a modern independent state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rif_Republic
>>
>>1151191
Might have that autism people talk about
>>
>>1151191
You don't need to have sympathy for them, you can hate their guts. As long as they're what interests you the most they're your favourite field of subject.
>>
>>1151636
I've seen this picture posted here, which makes me frightened to think how overly friendly Americans must be towards strangers
>>
>>1167552
The other had a point, but this picture is ridiculous. We do that in fucking Spain.
>>
File: 1428160340806.jpg (339 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1428160340806.jpg
339 KB, 1200x1600
>>1150908
>tfw California and Texas used to be besties
How much has changed.
>>
>>1167552
Why would you even sit next to a stranger if there's empty seats left?
>>
>>1153581
I would actually like to learn more about Khazars.
>>
>>1167552

How do you even touch each other if you are sitting like that?

What if you want to give their leg a friendly pat?
>>
>>1151044

didnt knew this one
>The Griqua are a racially and culturally mixed people who descended from the intermarriages and sexual relations between European colonists in the Cape and the Khoikhoi living there in the 17th and 18th centuries. The mothers were generally Khoikhoi and, as time went on, mixed-race. The fathers were European colonists. Over time the mixed-race people married among themselves.
>>
File: HOLY.jpg (204 KB, 648x1032) Image search: [Google]
HOLY.jpg
204 KB, 648x1032
>>1152525
>>
File: 1439919225145.png (56 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1439919225145.png
56 KB, 401x372
>>1151087
Of all the flags you could have chosen you choose that one
>>
>>1152714
I learned about it very recently. Its mindblowing.
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.