[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yugoslavia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Can anyone here recommend me a decent entry level book about Yugoslavia and its history (however far back you choose to define it)?

I don't know very much about it, but it seems like a really fascinating area.

Yugoslav General I guess
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9WgR_N4h4&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeB9WgR_N4h4&has_verified=1
>>
>>1271963
You'll have to search for local,former Yugoslav sources if you want to delve deeper into that topic,Westerners(especially the Germans,the British and the Americans) are usually trying their best to passively present Yugoslavia as yet another,failed,insignificant and totalitarian soviet-puppet of a country that only at succeeded causing the death of 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Danube Germans and Italians and causing her untimely dissolution "all by herself".And of course,Tito was a murderous genocidal,vile,patriarchal,womanizing hypocrite of a Bolshevik,a vampire count and also,a hog farmer of a leader.
>>
The Balkans by Misha Glenny is a possibility.
>>
>>1271963
Vladimir Corovic has a pretty basic overview for the region's history, but it's still pretty good, even if it's a little yugoslavism-centered
>>
>>1271963
The best place start is Branko Petranović's book History of Yugoslavia, though I doubt it's translated in english.
>>
The Balkans by Misha Glenny

Its very long, but there really isn't a way to shorten Balkan history. You need to learn about pretty much everything since Napoleon if you want a real idea.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-balkans-nationalism-war--the-great-powers-1804-1999_misha-glenny/342244/?gclid=CjwKEAjw7e66BRDhnrizmcGc8VcSJABR6gaRwdSqUD-RVRM1qtH0nsiR_iymca_g9RLD2Bu-DXlEHxoCSSPw_wcB#isbn=0670853380&pcrid=70112872272&pkw=&pmt=&plc=
>>
>>1271963

Perhaps not entirely related, but I do a fair amount of WW2 study, and one thing I hear a lot is

>The Yugoslav resistance was the only one in Europe which drove out the Axis without regular troops coming in.

Which is wrong, as anyone can easily verify by looking up on wiki or some other ready source about the Battle of Belgrade in 1945.

The country that managed to do so, (although let's be honest here, that's still in large part because of regular battlefield defeats inflicted elsewhere) was Albania, but the meme always goes it was Yugo, not Albania.

Anyone know how that got started?
>>
>>1271963
I enjoyed "The death of Yugoslavia" but it's a documentary. [and ends in 1995 before the later wars]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_PzsfXbyAw
>>
>>1272076
define "yugoslavism-centered" .
>>
>>1272270

Categorically false,considering that the Yugoslav Partisans have almost always single-handedly fought against the Germans and their allies during World War II.Just because they've received assistance during one military engagement doesn't mitigate all they've accomplished by themselves prior to that moment.
>>
>>1272343
You might want to go back to the second grade and redo the learning to read thing.
>>
>>1272396
That's rich coming from someone who is completely illiterate of this topic.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.