[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently writing my final essay for my Humanities class i could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: essay.jpg (42 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
essay.jpg
42 KB, 500x376
Currently writing my final essay for my Humanities class

i could use some help with topics under the category of "Contributions of Ancient Greece". So far ive talked about the philosophers and that stuff and im now moving on to talk about democracy in the modern world. But after this im not sure what i should cover. Any tips are appreciated
>>
Just talk about the Olympics for the rest of the paper. You can easily fill a dozen pages with that, plus it's a timely subject with the games in Brazil this year.
>>
>>1148804
great idea, i only have 3 pages left to fulfill the minimum so that should help me reach it
>>
>>1148790
Do your own homework you insufferable faggot.
>>
>>1148820
i just want some ideas. im not asking for you guys to write anything
>>
>>1148836
Fair enough, I'm just sick of seeing threads like this.
>>
>>1148790
You can structure it like this:

- One/two paragraph(s) on archaic greece and how it shaped our conception of "classic greece" as well as alluding to the birth of radical democracy through the contribution of the likes of Cleon and democracy as a contrast to the old oligarchical model as well as how it came to an end with the foundation of the Hellenic League as a unified front led by Athens of all Greeks in an effort against Persia (raise of the ethnicity context and how it influences 5th century Greece, or Ionanism vs Dorianism, which is in turn interconnected with Panhellenism)
- Classical Greece is intrinsically tied to the formation of the Hellenic League and how it saw the raise and fall of Athens through the foundation of the Delian League (importance of kinship in its first years). Moreover, you could also present points of view in regards to the success/failure of it and how its outcome influenced the raise first of Sparta, then of Thebes and ultimately that of Macedon
- Hellenistic period characterized by the loss of influence and decline of Greece over the ancient world and how it parallels to the raise of Rome

Don't forget to highlight the importance of the historical debate. Good historians on the period are Hornblower, Osborne, Meiggs, Robertson, Raaflaub, Ste.Croix (muhh Marxism), Polly Low and on ethnicity Fragoulaki
>>
if you say "it inspired our imaginations" you can legit source shit like Aladdin and 300
>>
>>1148855
>Aladdin
I meant Hercules but I saw a golden lamp when I was typing the post and got mixed up
>>
>>1148860
...did you rub it?
>>
>>1148848
i understand
>>
>>1148854
wow, thanks a ton! i will definitely being using these topics
>>
>>1148860
i might actually use this, thanks man
>>
You can mention how the Greek phalanx was the basis for later Roman fighting tactics that helped make that Empire the basis for most western civilization. That's probably an angle they don't see much.
>>
>>1148953
i will throw this is if i mention any sort of military, thank you very much
>>
>>1148929
Nah, don't thank me. I just hope it was somewhat helpful. Also, try to have your own opinion showing through, as well as discussing the limitations on the historiographical debates, as some sources (say, for example, Herodotus making up shit in his Histories in the midst of the Peloponnesian War or Thucydides' silence in the move of the treasury post 454 from Delos to Athens or the Thirty Years' Peace, to which he only makes a passing reference) and showing your own voice and opinions on how you think so and so shaped the way we perceive the contributions of Ancient Greece. Also, JSTOR is your fucking friend, so use and abuse it as much as you can.
>>
>>1148915
Yeah and i asked the genie for the power to delete /his/
>>
>>1149039
well it is helpful. ill try to put more opinion into the paper
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.