[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that many famous old texts are so badly translated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Business-Meeting1.jpg (2 MB, 1999x1500) Image search: [Google]
Business-Meeting1.jpg
2 MB, 1999x1500
Is it true that many famous old texts are so badly translated that the english versions may as well be fanfiction? I can't remember where I read the below.

for example, the first line of the bible in the original language is something fucking weird like "gods created stuff."

And Plato's Apology when translated in to greek uses a word, not meaning apologising, but more like "blowing people the fuck out"
>>
>>1147968
Sometimes they are. Other times they're "localised" quite a bit.

It depends largely on the period and who did the translation. The trend recently I believe is for candid translations but with more localisation.

For instance Greek comedy used to not be translated with the dick jokes, which if included at all were changed or written in Latin. They translate them now but change some other stuff.

Sometimes theirs literally a centuries old debate about what something means so they're trying to trigger other scholars.

From personal experience, translations are usually more interpretation, especially since Latin and Greek are so different. I never found published translations much help with my own translations other than to let you know you're on the right track.
>>
>>1147968
This is true of Zoroastrian ancient texts, even the earliest known versions in their "original language". The earliest known versions were first written down in the 13th century. /pol/ faggots like to use them to claim that the eternal Jew stole even their holy scriptures from the superior Aryan race, when there's archeological evidence to suggest that Jewish monotheism existed long before the captivity in Babylon, when this supposed "stealing" took place.
>>
>>1148687
>when there's archeological evidence to suggest that Jewish monotheism existed long before the captivity in Babylon
citation please
>>
>>1148712

Just believe him goy
>>
>>1147968
>And Plato's Apology when translated in to greek uses a word, not meaning apologising
>Unironically thinks Apology means apologizing in the literary context
Maybe the problem is you don't understand English?
>>
>>1147968
There are a couple passages in the bible that could be interpreted as completely polytheistic depending on how you interpret El/Elohim/YHWH.
>>
>>1147968

I can only speak for Ancient Greek, Latin, and Sanskrit. The more modern translations (especially of A. Greek and Latin) are often faithful. Many of the older translations suck dick BECAUSE THEY MADE THEM RHYME IN ENGLISH.

The Loeb Library of the Greek and Latin classics are quality.
>>
>>1149845
This. The OP post is embarrassing.
>>
>>1147968
http://mechanical-translation.org/mt/translation1.html

in the summit Elohiym fattened the skies and the land, and the land had existed in confusion and was unfilled, and darkness was upon the face of the deep sea and the wind of Elohiym was fluttering upon the face of the waters,
>>
File: 1462389078176.jpg (18 KB, 183x200) Image search: [Google]
1462389078176.jpg
18 KB, 183x200
>>1148687
>>
I can speak for Quranic translations. They're not good.
>>
>>1147968
>Plato's Roast

i'd read that
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.