[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Iran remain persian-speaking while places like Egypt,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: efwvc.jpg (60 KB, 658x340) Image search: [Google]
efwvc.jpg
60 KB, 658x340
Why did Iran remain persian-speaking while places like Egypt, Syria, and Mesopotamia became completely arab and no longer have any ties to their pre-existing cultures?
>>
Persian was almost wiped out until the Shahmaneh made it cool again
>>
>>1146112
Persian exceptionalism
>>
>>1146112
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't semetic languages closer to Arab than say Farsi?
>>
>>1146112
It's probably this >>1146221 and also the fact that in Iran the arab rule was "swiftly" (a couple of centuries) replaced by local rulers. The same can be said about the berber area, in fact they got rid of the arab yoke first, but they didn't have the cultural baggage of the persians.

>>1146137
Not really true. The shahnameh was based on previous works to begin with.
>>
>>1146221
Egyptian wasn't semetic, although it was Afro-Asiatic, but by that point you've gone back so far it matters a lot less
>>
>>1146263
Was it closer to Arab than say Farsi?
>>
>>1146279
Definitely
>>
>>1146112
Because these countries spoke Semitic languages so it was easier for them to be assimilated into Arabic culture. Also there were no major Arab migration into Iran.
> Egypt, Syria, and Mesopotamia became completely arab and no longer have any ties to their pre-existing cultures
This is wrong, Copts, Assyrians, Arab Christians and other Middle Eastern Christians hold on to their cultures and religions since Arab conquest.
>>
>>1146286
I knew this one guy who still read the bible in Aramaic of a modern derivative of it.
>>
>>1146194

This x100.
>>
>>1146112
Persians saw arabs as primitive savages.
>>
>>1146112
They had a strong existing identity, the rest did not. The old Roman areas they took over didn't know who they were, they had been under foreign occupation for centuries, so they adopted easily. Persia had always been a strong empire of its own and was its own heartland, so they wouldn't adopt another culture quite so easily.
>>
>>1147584
This. Every other answer is plain wrong
>>
>>1146112

> Counting the Sahara as part of your territory

why.jpg
>>
>>1146112
>cultures
>implying they had any before we showed them ours.
>>
>>1146112
Northern Arabs dominated the elite of the Umayyad state. Many received salaries and government and military posts because of that privilege. When the Yemeni tribes began agitating for inclusion into the elite, they Northern-Arabized themselves, taking up their dialect and culture.

When Arabic became the official administrative language a few decades later, Berbers and Syriacs did the same. The Umayyads and pure-bred North Arabs wanted to segregate themselves, but their discriminatory policies had the opposite effect and it turns out it's not that hard to manufacture a North Arab pedigree for yourself.

The Arabs in Iran, however, had a different policy. Rather than try and segregate themselves they married into the local Sassanid aristocracy, creating a bi-lingual Arab-Persian elite who prevented Arabization by more easily guarding class membership.
>>
>>1146112
For the same reason that the Eastern Mediterranean continued to speak Greek after Roman domination for centuries. It was a resilient culture, and face it, an admirable benchmark for the Saracens.
>>
>>1147595
Berber and Tuareg territories alongside trade routes to places like Timbuktu
>>
>>1146112
Ferdowsi
>>
File: image.jpg (310 KB, 938x1425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
310 KB, 938x1425
>>1146112
IRAN SHIA

Egyptians are Egyptians not Arabs. They are Sunni.
Syrians are Syrians (Sunni) and Kurds not Arabs.
Iraqis are Sunni, Shia and Kurds not Arabs.
Arabs are Arabs and they are Sunni.
>>
>>1149470

Huh, I didn't actually expect to get a real answer to that question. Thanks /his/ bro!
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.