[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free Speech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Hey, /his/ so I'm finishing up my high school senior paper/final for my humanities class and I'd like to hear some ideas and thoughts from you guys. The topic of my paper is "The Importance of Free Speech & Expression." The last thing I need to write is the counter-argument section. So what are some reasons why some people may oppose free speech today?

tl;dr Why is Free Speech bad?
>>
>>1145656
Do you seriously expect us to do your homework?
>>
You have to listen to the stupid shit others think and say
>>
>>1145656
Free speech is hate speech, holocaust deniers are allowed to brainwash people etc. Go get that A+.
>>
>>1145683
This
Anyone who disagrees is a vile antisemite
>>
Free speech can offend muh feelings
>>
>counter to free speech

There literally isn't one. Tell your instructor to fuck himself with a sickle - freedom 4 me 'nd 4 u
>>
Hate speech and speech that endangers people's lives directly or via the hysteria that ensues.
>>
Just read On Liberty like everyone else does, go through a four year libertarian phase, come back when you find Foucault
>>
>>1145656
Allowing everyone access to a megaphone creates a scenario where all ideas can spread. Ideas that might help society and the individual, but also ones that might hurt them.
>>
>>1145656
Free speech makes no ideas forbidden and therefore all ideas trivial.
>>
>>1146271
>foucalt
All his writings are absolute drivel. Postmodernists are some of the most detestable people on this earth.
>>
>>1146631
This is an informative and constructive post, thank you for your contribution to this board
>>
>>1146650
>informative and constructive
Just like Foucalt!
>>
>>1145656
like others said, shit concerning hate speech, incitement to violence, etc. Mill himself discusses the issue in his example with the corn dealer. Critiques have been elaborated in this vein, some in critical theory/ post-structuralism (>>1146271) some in a more analytic vein, see for example Rae Langton using Austin's speech act theory
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.